Liquid yeast did not swell in the bag... Is it Still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustinFromTexas

austinfrom_tx
Reaction score
I def broke the pouch and shook very well. 3 hours later the bag looks exactly the same as it did before I broke the pouch, not even a bit of swelling. I'm assuming it's a bad batch and I need to get some new yeast?

How old is it? 3 hours may not be enough time. If it hasn't swelled in 24 hours, then I would worry.

You guys were right, it's now starting to swell up. How much longer should I wait before I pitch? My wort is ready and waiting :)

This is only my third batch, I'm still learning all the processes. I didn't use a starter on my previous 2 batches and they fermented just fine. What are the advantages to making a starter yeast?

AustinFromTexas said:
This is only my third batch, I'm still learning all the processes. I didn't use a starter on my previous 2 batches and they fermented just fine. What are the advantages to making a starter yeast?

A starter will multiply the amount of active yeasts you have ready to got by several fold. Makes for a quicker, more active, and cleaner fermentation.

With that said your fine if you don't do one things just take a little longer. I am not sure why people feel the need to judge others on a beginners forum. It's kind of expected that folks on here are likely to be just learning.

fletcher you exactly right! I'm not sure what it is but people like to dig at people on the beginner forum. If new brewers who don't know about starters is such a horrible thing then why look at the beginner forum page?? It's the only way brewers can learn. But yes a starter will help your beer ferment faster and is also another fun step in your growth in brewing.

Thanks for the support, with each batch I've learned new things and implemented more techniques to improve my beer. Starter yeast is something I hadn't looked into but I'll def research it and implement it next round to see how it goes. This forum has been a great tool for me to use in my quest to make excellent brew, but like any forum out there it's not devoid of trolls...

AustinFromTexas said:
Thanks for the support, with each batch I've learned new things and implemented more techniques to improve my beer. Starter yeast is something I hadn't looked into but I'll def research it and implement it next round to see how it goes. This forum has been a great tool for me to use in my quest to make excellent brew, but like any forum out there it's not devoid of trolls...

Same here. Just learned a little about starter yeast and I will definitely research it also. I had a stuck fermentation and it may have been because of my yeast.

Fletcher21 said:
I am not sure why people feel the need to judge others on a beginners forum. It's kind of expected that folks on here are likely to be just learning.

I consider myself a beginner with 4 batches under my belt, but even before I bought a single piece of brewing equipment I read How to Brew from cover to cover, then re-read the vital parts over and over. Fermentation is one of the two biggest parts of brewing, and getting healthy yeast should be highlighted in any brewing book. Read books, read the forum, talk with other brewers; do everything possible to gain more knowledge on brewing before trying something new.

I just made my first starter from the yeast in a commercial bottle this past week and I researched the heck out of the subject before even buying the six-pack. Knowledge is you friend when it comes to brewing: don't be afraid to ask questions before taking action. We love to help. :)

sudbuster said:
You didn't make a starter did you? Tsk, tsk. Shame on you. Now you will be coming on saying my batch is not fermenting after four days.....

Can you please explain to me why after 18 hours of pitching my yeast without a starter my airlock is happily bubbling away? I can't for the life of me figure out why it's doing that...

AustinFromTexas said:
Can you please explain to me why after 18 hours of pitching my yeast without a starter my airlock is happily bubbling away? I can't for the life of me figure out why it's doing that...

Fermentation should be okay if your OG isn't that high, but a yeast starter is suggested by virtually every higher-up in the brewing community for the reasons listed here already. It greatly multiplies the yeast count, which is necessary for high gravity ales and lagers, plus it creates a faster, more efficient, and cleaner fermentation. Your beer will more than likely turn out good, but improving fermentation, which centers around using the most viable yeast, is a big step towards making great and excellent beer. That's a lesson I'm learning right now.

metanoia said:
Fermentation should be okay if your OG isn't that high, but a yeast starter is suggested by virtually every higher-up in the brewing community for the reasons listed here already. It greatly multiplies the yeast count, which is necessary for high gravity ales and lagers, plus it creates a faster, more efficient, and cleaner fermentation. Your beer will more than likely turn out good, but improving fermentation, which centers around using the most viable yeast, is a big step towards making great and excellent beer. That's a lesson I'm learning right now.

I was definitely just being facetious with my last comment. From what I've learned about starter yeasts so far I'm for sure going to start using them on my future beers to make them better- but for now I just wanted sudbuster to know that my fermentation was doing much better than he anticipated it would. :)

Yes, I could tell, and you're definitely allowed that jab after sudbuster's response. Glad to hear you're interested in starters; besides quick extract brews, I don't think I'll be using much dry yeast again.

Back