Liquid side tubing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyklez

Reaction score
Just bought a couple corny kegs. I'm looking at getting flared disconnects, but they only come with 1/4 nuts connected to 1/4 barbs. I have an existing tap from a kegerator, which is sized for a 3/16 tube. And I only need 6ft, which only needs 3/16 tube. So how do I put a 3/16 tube on a 1/4 barb on the disconnect?

suorangeguy said:
Use MFL disconnects. Then get 3/16 tailpiece barbs that attach to MFL.

Here's what I plan on getting. Is what you're explaining compatible with this? Can you possibly send a link? I'm surprised I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem, since 3/16 line seems ubiquitous for the liquid side but no one sells an MFL disconnect with a 3/16 barb.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00719PR2Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, just reading that a lot of HBT folks use a 1/4 barb with 3/16 tube. A bit snug but no problem. Off to the Internet to make my purchases, tally ho!

The 3/16" id tubing fits a 1/4" barb quite well if you put about 1" of the tubing into boiling water for a few seconds before putting it over the barb.

Here's what I plan on getting. Is what you're explaining compatible with this? Can you possibly send a link? I'm surprised I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem, since 3/16 line seems ubiquitous for the liquid side but no one sells an MFL disconnect with a 3/16 barb.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00719PR2Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Those are exactly what I use I just forgot the dimensions. The beer tubing will stretch over these barbs without much trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ yeah the beer line is usually 3/16 and gas line is 5/16.

The barb for each, respectively, is 1/4 and 3/8. If you mathematically make them have the same denominator: the barbs are 4/16 for beer and 6/16 for gas. So you can see they are each only 1/16 bigger than the tuning internal diameter so they have a snug fit.

The suggestion of putting the tube in very hot water before putting it on the bard does work well.

As for the length of beer line, the suggested number is 12' while 6' is there barebones minimum. I know it sounds like alot but simply cool it and zip tie it together and forget about the slack. It will help the beer not foam and have a better time getting poured. Cheers!

Back