Lions SUCK!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
or of course it 3rd and 20 and he call guess what...a run!

hey capn good to see you around again

edit:i'd also keep the punter and long snapper. the punter(harris?) has been ****ing awesome for em and the LS ain't focked shot up either

Thanks. Been real busy with work lately!

The long snapper is Muhlbach and Harris is the punter.
I'd keep Harris too, he didn't do us wrong this year and God knows, he had a chance to punt a little this year..

This just popped up...

Jets' Mangini, Lions' Marinelli both reportedly fired
Email this article E-MAIL
Sporting News - Print this article PRINT
COMMENTS 7 Sporting News - User Comments
WATCH THIS TOPIC
Sporting News - RSS Feed
Posted: December 29, 2008
Sporting News staff reports

The New York Jets have fired coach Eric Mangini and the Detroit Lions have fired coach Rod Marinelli, according to reports this morning.

ProFootballTalk.com's Mike Florio, a SportingNews.com contributor, reports the firing of Mangini will be announced at a 10 a.m. EST press conference.

Mangini, who at 37 was the youngest head coach in the NFL, went 23-26 overall in three seasons at the helm of the Jets.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter first reported the news about Marinelli early Monday morning, a day after the Lions claimed their spot as the worst team in NFL history, going 0-16 in the regular season.

Schefter also reports the Lions have fired all coaches except running backs coach Sam Gash and receivers coach Shawn Jefferson.

Marinelli, 59, was in his third season as the Lions' head coach and ends his career in Detroit with a 10-38 overall record.

FoxSports.com's Jay Glazer lists possible replacements for the Lions' job as: Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, Atlanta offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey, Patriots OC Josh McDaniels, Ravens DC Rex Ryan, Titans DC Jim Schwartz, Cardinals DC Todd Haley and Minnesota DC Leslie Frazier.

Guess I'm going to listen to the press confrence... Think it will prpbably be on 97-1 the ticket?

Well, I feel bad for Rod. He hung in there in the worst of times. But, I can't say that I'll miss him. He made some questionable calls (as they all do) and frankly, I just think it's time to make some changes.

Hopefully they will draft well, and build the OL and Defense. Maybe hire a decent QB, but with a good line, who knows what our guys could do?

Lions 75th season in review:
75 memories from the Lions’ 75th season | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

1. The firing of offensive coordinator Mike Martz, the designated scapegoat for the 1-7 collapse of ’07.

2. Martz, asked why the Lions wouldn’t admit he had actually been fired: “I can’t explain anything that they do. I can’t.”

3. His replacement, Jim Colletto, on his new job: “It’s not rocket science. You don’t have to be a genius to figure these things out.”

4. More housecleaning by trading Shaun Rogers and not signing Kevin Jones.

5. Picking up players like Gosder Cherilus, Kevin Smith and Cliff Avril in the draft, and Rod Marinelli saying: “It might seem crazy, but I’m looking at this team five or 10 years down the road, and it is filled with good young players from the draft. I’m percolating coffee here. I’m not making instant.”

6. Raising ticket prices, so fans could save more money by not coming to Ford Field.

7. The 4-0 exhibition season, prompting the since57.com people to market “Pre-Season Champions” T-shirts.

8. The perfect preseason — and great practices — prompting many pundits to look at all the early “winnable” games and predicting good things for the Lions.

9. Jon Kitna saying he’d be disappointed — again — if the Lions didn’t win 10 games. Actually, the Lions have won 10 games — overall, in Marinelli’s three years as coach.

10. Tatum Bell — upset he’d been released — caught by security cameras lifting replacement Rudi Johnson’s luggage at the Allen Park training facility. Bell claiming: “I ain’t no thief,” and Johnson getting his bags back, minus some cash, credit cards and Perry Ellis under drawers.

11. Game 1: About 11 1/2 minutes into the regular season, the Lions trailed, 21-0, in one of those winnable games at Atlanta, with rookie Matt Ryan throwing for a 62-yard TD on his first pass and Michael Turner running for 220 yards.

12. The 34-21 loss and 0-1 record.

13. Marinelli saying: “We had a bad day — a bad day at the office, no doubt about it.”

14. Gardner-White buying up the remaining tickets so Game 2, the home opener against Green Bay, wouldn’t be blacked out.

15. Game 2: The Lions falling behind, 21-0, again in the first half, but actually coming back and taking a 25-24 lead in the fourth quarter before giving up an amazing 24 points in the final 5:17.

16. Kitna — who some said might be the NFC North’s best quarterback — saying “It’s on me” after throwing three interceptions in that span, two returned for TDs.

17. The 48-25 loss and 0-2 record.

18. Marinelli: “Is it hard to swallow? Yeah, it’s a big turkey going down my throat, a couple bones sticking in there. I’ve got to spit the bones out and move forward.”

19. Matt Millen saying: “Stay the course. It’s a little bump. … It’s not like you have to panic. You don’t have to make wholesale changes. You don’t have to do all that stuff. It’s all right there.”

20. Game 3: The Lions falling behind, 21-3, in the first half to Martz and their former backup quarterback, J.T. O’Sullivan.

21. The 31-13 loss and 0-3 record.

22. Bill Ford Jr. saying: “It was an embarrassment. The fans deserve better. And if I had the authority, I would have fired the general manager.”

23. William Clay Ford waking up and releasing this statement: “I have relieved Matt Millen of his duties effective immediately. I believe that this decision is in the best interest of this organization. I appreciate Matt’s efforts. Matt worked tirelessly during his tenure to win, and he would be the first one to tell you that you have to win in this league. It just didn’t work out.”

24. “Didn’t work out” translating to a 31-84 record for Millen’s official tenure.

25. Millen’s wife telling ESPN she told her husband after the firing, “You’re out of football prison now.” (Wasn’t that an old TV show, “Matt Millen and Wife”?)

26. Roy Williams , asked how the firing affected the Lions’ preparations for the next game: “He’s in the front office. It’s not like he was a quarterback or anything. So it wasn’t a big deal.”

27. Game 4: The Lions, granted a 24-hour extension, selling out the game, so local fans could watch them get mauled by the Bears on TV.

28. The 34-7 loss and 0-4 record.

29. Game 5: Kitna being left behind for the trip to Minnesota because of a bad back, even though he said he probably could have gone.

30. Dan Orlovsky providing a YouTube moment when he rolled right out of the back of the end zone for a safety.

31. The Vikings winning on a FG with nine seconds left, their drive helped by a bogus interference call against Leigh Bodden.

32. The 12-10 loss and 0-5 record.

33. The Lions finally trading Roy Williams, sending him to his beloved Dallas Cowboys for a bunch of draft choices, and placing Kitna on injured reserve, likely ending his Detroit career.

34. Interim GM Martin Mayhew, asked if the moves meant the Lions were now looking to the future, saying: “If by the future you mean this Sunday, then it is about the future.” And if by looking forward to Sunday at Houston he meant losing again, the Lions didn’t disappoint.

35. The 28-21 loss and 0-6 record.

36. Fox’s Jay Glazer reporting sources said Brett Favre had called buddy Matt Millen before the Packers game with inside info on their playbook. The Lions denying it, but Marinelli saying “No comment.” But if true, it might explain how defensive coordinator Joe Barry’s guys held the Pack to 447 yards.

37. Game 7: The Lions failing to sell out the game against Washington, ending a streak of 51 straight sellouts dating to the Silverdome finale in 2001, and giving them their first local TV blackout at Ford Field. They would end up selling out only one of their remaining five home games, Thanksgiving against Tennessee.

38. The 25-17 loss and 0-7 record.

39. Marinelli explaining why he still thought the wins were coming: “Because that’s who I am. You are you. You’re negative. OK, so I’m going to answer you: Because I believe in what we’re doing, and I’m just going to keep doing it.”

40. Roy Williams, coming back to town for a cameo appearance at the team Halloween party, dressing as Tatum Bell, wearing a bellhop uniform and briefs marked “Rudi.”

41. Colletto, explaining why Drew Stanton wasn’t getting any playing time in the meaningless games: “I’m not going to embarrass the kid just to prove a point to somebody else.”

42. The Lions explaining that was just a poor choice of words, but Stanton saying he was taken aback by them: “He’s entitled to his opinion. So if he thinks that I’d embarrass myself when I go out there, then that’s what he believes. Ultimately, he’s the offensive coordinator right now.”

43. Game 8: The Lions falling behind, 10-0, at Chicago, but actually coming back and twice taking 10-point leads — before losing them and Orlovsky to a broken thumb.

44. The 27-23 loss and 0-8 record.

45. Signing former Vikings star Daunte Culpepper, who had sort of been retired, and planning to start him the following Sunday against Jacksonville, three days after his first practice.

46. Game 9: Culpepper and Stanton sharing time against the Jaguars, with Stanton taking the edge in stats and completing his first NFL TD pass.

47. The 38-14 loss and 0-9 record. And Cincinnati winning that day, making the Lions the league’s last winless team.

48. Marinelli: “You’re in this dark tunnel and you’ve got no way out. You’re waiting for light, and you see that light, what do you do? What do you do? You start digging and getting out. … I’ve always believed you stay in the tunnel and you keep digging when you expect no light. You have the same faith when you expect no light. You have the same belief in what you’re doing when you expect no light. … It’s dark and I’m going to dig through. My shovel is sharp and my pick is sharp and my will is outstanding.”

49. Game 10: Blowing another 10-point lead at Carolina.

50. The 31-22 loss and 0-10 record.

Stupid 10 character rule...
51. Marinelli, after a reporter pointed out, “You’re 0-10,” snapping: “I’m not 0-10! You’re 0-10!” Oh, yeah?

52. Game 11: This time jumping to a 17-0 lead against Tampa Bay and blowing it in the second quarter.

53. Bucs coach Jon Gruden inadvertently pointing out they were fortunate to play the Lions: “We can’t fall behind … 17-0 and expect to beat an NFL football team.”

54. Defensive tackle Shaun Cody saying: “No one’s quitting. But we don’t know how to win.” But God, do they know how to lose.

55. The 38-20 loss and 0-11 record.

56. Marinelli, asked if it was worrisome that the Lions might be embarrassed on national TV in their Thanksgiving game against 10-1 Tennessee: “I guess if you’re from Hostess Twinkies it would be. … I’m not saying we’re Twinkies. I’m saying the question was a Twinkie. It was a Twinkie question for me.”

57. Game 12: The Titans pounding the Lions for their worst Thanksgiving loss ever. The Lions fumbling on their second play. The Titans gaining 456 yards. Two running backs gaining more than 100 yards.

58. The 47-10 loss and 0-12 record.

59. Marinelli, asked if he still thought he was the right man for the Lions job, saying: “I do, and I feel like I just keep fighting and keep going. The record doesn’t show it. But I have great belief in myself.”

60. Marinelli showing the Lions a team picture to deliver the message, you don’t want to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame as the NFL’s first 0-16 team. Said running back Aveion Cason: “Nobody wants to be 0-16. Nobody wants to be a part of history, man. You don’t want to go to Canton that way. … (Marinelli) said, ‘We’re not going 0-16.’ We’re not going 0-16, man.”

61. Game 13, against Minnesota: Dominic Raiola flipping off some hecklers behind their bench at Ford Field and saying the next day: “I don’t take one thing back. I’ll say the same thing to a fan that I see in the street. I wish I could give my address out to some fans. I’ll do that. But, you know, I can’t. Nobody plays with fists. Everybody wants to play with metal. So I can’t.”

62. The 20-16 loss and 0-13 record.

63. Marinelli explaining why he could still see possibilities for victories where others couldn’t: “It’s the invisible, I guess. No, that’s what I’m saying. I believe in the invisible. I do.”

64. Game 14, at Indianapolis: the 31-21 loss and 0-14 record.

65. Marinelli telling how he coped with the growing media attention on an 0-16 season: “Certain things are meaningless to me. Certain things are like elevator music. And this is elevator music. I don’t mean that as offensive to you. But it is. So I get in the elevator, go up to Floor 5; I don’t remember the music that was playing. As soon as I leave here, I don’t remember. … I just have a great ability to turn the station.”

66. Game 15: Giving up 532 yards, 32 first downs and letting the New Orleans Saints go 11-for-12 on third downs, their only failure coming when Drew Brees took a knee at the end.

67. The 42-7 loss and first 0-15 record in NFL history.

68. The Lions assessing that record, the empty seats at Ford Field and deciding not to raise ticket prices next season. Duh.

69. Marinelli constantly defending his league-worst defense, his Tampa Two scheme and Joe Barry, his defensive coordinator/son-in-law, much better than the Lions defended their end zone.

70. Detroit News columnist Rob Parker ticking off Marinelli by asking at the postgame news conference: “On a lighter note, do you wish your daughter had married a better defensive coordinator?”

71. Game 16: Their last chance to avoid becoming the first 0-16 team in history, at Green Bay, where they hadn’t won since 1991.

72. The 31-21 loss and 0-16 record.

73. Marinelli saying: “The record speaks for itself.”

74. Mr. Ford firing Marinelli but making good on his threat and naming Tom Lewand president and Martin Mayhew general manager.

75. Marinelli saying, in farewell, that all the criticism didn’t faze him: “I’m just the type — it doesn’t matter, you bring it, I shoulder it, you write it, I’ve got the eraser, you’ve got the pencil, I’ve got the eraser, and that’s just me. I’ve always carried a big eraser.”
If only fans could erase the past eight years, too.

^ That's great Flyin'

Related news:
Jason Garret told the Lions to pound sand. He does not want to interview for the position. (shocker!)

2009 LIONS SCHEDULE

September
13................. Taft Junior High School
20................Cub Scout Troop #101
27................. Detroit Blind Academy

October
04.................Spanish American War Vets
11................Crippled Children's Home
18................ Eloise Mental Hospital
25................Girl Scout Troop # 353

November
01.................. Michigan Venereal Disease Clinic
08.................Fraser Boys Choir
15.................Korean Vets
22................. National Hospital Pastorial Ministers
26................. Great Lakes Sychronized Swimming Team

SPECIAL MONDAY NIGHT GAME
December 08.................. Grand Rapids Gay Boys Club

RULE CHANGES FROM LAST YEAR **

1 - When playing polio patients, the Lions must not disconnect knee braces.

2 - When playing the Blind Academy , the Lions must not hide the football under their jerseys.

** RULES THE SAME FROM LAST YEAR **

1 - A touchdown (this is when the ball is carried over the goal line. For all you Lions fans that have never seen this) it is still worth 6 points.

2 - The Lions will be allowed 20 men on the field at all times.

3 - The Lions will be allowed to substitute with band members at anytime.

4 - The Lions will be awarded 10 timeouts as opposed to 3 for the opposing team.

5 - The Lions will be awarded a first down with each gain of three yards or more, instead of the usual ten yards.

...I am SO going to be getting these shirts...

zeroandsixteen_final.jpg

rebuilding_PRESEASONCHAMPS2.jpg

They gave up 30 pts a game. Cassel or any other quarterback can't make up for that! Lions need defense and O-Line help first. That being said, they'll probably take Bradford with the first pick and throw a rookie QB out there with no support.

If the lions were smart they would sign Matt Cassel for whatever he wants!!!

I'm hearing that the Pats are going to franchise him. That means that it would take probably at least a 1st and a 3rd to get him. When you're 0-16, giving up draft picks is not an option. If he were to hit the free agent market I'd be all for it, but if he gets franchised there's no way the Lions will even touch him.

They gave up 30 pts a game. Cassel or any other quarterback can't make up for that! Lions need defense and O-Line help first. That being said, they'll probably take Bradford with the first pick and throw a rookie QB out there with no support.

I agree that the defense needs the most help, but with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, I could live with a QB at #1 overall and then 4 picks for the defense. I'd rather see Andre Smith (OT - Alabama, then move Backus to one of the guard spots) at #1 and then a ton of defense, but when you look at the QB's that my be available next year, this looks like a much better year to select a potential franchise QB.

I sure hope Bradford likes getting his ass kicked on Sundays!

If they take Bradford or Stafford, either will likely get their asses kicked 16 out of 17 Sundays their rookie year. Hopefully Martin Mayhew knows what the hell he's doing and can get one of those kids (if they draft one of them) some protection for the 2010 season.

Bradford looked good in tonight's game. He threw 2 picks, but they were both well placed balls that should have been receptions. I'm also VERY impressed with Jermaine Gresham... one of the best TE prospects I've seen in a *long* time.

Bradford looked good in tonight's game. He threw 2 picks, but they were both well placed balls that should have been receptions. I'm also VERY impressed with Jermaine Gresham... one of the best TE prospects I've seen in a *long* time.

I like Bradford,but who are we fooling? Detroit has trashed heisman quaterbacks career's before. Ask Andre Ware.:rolleyes:

Two guys from Detroit, Michigan die and wake up in hell. The next day, the devil stops to check on them and sees them dressed in parkas, mittens and bomber hats, warming them selves around the fire. The devil asks them, 'What are you doing? Isn't it hot enough for you?'

The two guys reply, 'Well, you know, we're from Michigan, the land of ice and snow and cold. We're just happy for a chance to warm up a bit, you know.'

The devil gets a little steamed up and he decides to fix the two guys. He cranks the heat up as high as it will go. The people are wailing and screaming everywhere. He stops by the room with the two guys from Detroit and finds them in light jackets and hats, grilling sausage and drinking beer.

The devil is astonished. 'Everyone down here is in abject misery, and you seem to be enjoying yourselves.' The two Michiganders reply, 'Well, ya know, we don't get too much warm weather up there in Detroit, we've just got to have a cookout when the weather is this nice.'

The devil is absolutely furious, he decides to turn all the heat in hell off.

The next morning, the temperature is below zero, icicles are hanging everywhere, the people are shivering so bad, they are unable to wail or moan.

The devil smiles and heads for the room with the 2 Michiganders. He finds them back in their parkas, mittens and hats.. They are jumping up and down and cheering.

The devil was dumbfounded. 'I don't understand. When I turn the heat up, you're happy. Now it's freezing cold, and you're happy. What is wrong with you two?'

The Michiganders look at the devil in surprise. 'Well, don't ya know if hell froze over, that must mean one thing..........

The Lions won the Super Bowl!'

Schwartz was the guy I was hoping that they would hire. With any luck, the Lions will use some of that (almost) $30 million in cap room available to them this offseason to make 1 impact signing and bring Albert Haynesworth in to follow his D Coordinator from Tennessee.

With no defensive players worthy of the #1 overall pick - at this point - I'd be shocked if the pick isn't Matthew Stafford. Nothing takes more pressure off of your defense than a good QB who can move the team down the field and chew up the clock.

Ummmm....fellow Lions fans. Marinelli was a defense minded coach too. He came from a great system in Tampa. The only difference is that he was a position coach, and Schwartz was a coordinator. I'm looking hard for positives, but a new coach and one draft won't do a damn thing for us. If they take Stafford first overall I'll smash my head into a wall. Before Bradford decided he wasn't coming out Matt was a six or seven. Last night ESPN was saying frickin' Sanchez could be no. 1. No need for a new QB here. We can get a servicable one through free agency or stick with Kitna and build the O-line to make Kevin Smith look like some of the other flashy rookies did this year with great supporting casts. Or we can build a defensive juggernaut over the next few years and bring back the NORRIS DIV.

The only difference is that he was a position coach, and Schwartz was a coordinator.

I'd call that a big difference, though. I don't think Marinelli was ready for a head coaching job, whereas Schwartz is already a proven coordinator. Hopefully Lewand and Mayhew learn from Millen's mistakes and build in the trenches.

With no defensive players worthy of the #1 overall pick - at this point - I'd be shocked if the pick isn't Matthew Stafford. Nothing takes more pressure off of your defense than a good QB who can move the team down the field and chew up the clock.

Stafford better get all the guaranteed money he can from Detroit, because after the Lions offensive line hangs him out to dry game after game, he'd be lucky to land a backup job in the CFL.

The Lions really should go after the lineman from either Alabama or Ole Miss and build from the trenches. A good oline could make an average QB look good. But sticking Brady or Manning behind the current Detroit oline would be a disaster, nevermind sticking a rookie back there.

Stafford will suck just like Harrington because there is no line. Andre, Andre, Andre. Keep saying it!

Since it is a homebrew web site.....I like beer!:rockin:

HA HA!!! Well, I know a guy who can't stand him, and won't listen to him on the air, but honestly, he talks well about the game, and he is certainly more knowledgeable about the game than a certain OTHER famous commentator...

The guy is making millions from his leftover contract with Detroit, and now he has a job commentating again. What a poor life this guy has!

Ummmm....fellow Lions fans. Marinelli was a defense minded coach too. He came from a great system in Tampa. The only difference is that he was a position coach, and Schwartz was a coordinator. I'm looking hard for positives, but a new coach and one draft won't do a damn thing for us. If they take Stafford first overall I'll smash my head into a wall. Before Bradford decided he wasn't coming out Matt was a six or seven. Last night ESPN was saying frickin' Sanchez could be no. 1. No need for a new QB here. We can get a servicable one through free agency or stick with Kitna and build the O-line to make Kevin Smith look like some of the other flashy rookies did this year with great supporting casts. Or we can build a defensive juggernaut over the next few years and bring back the NORRIS DIV.

Stafford better get all the guaranteed money he can from Detroit, because after the Lions offensive line hangs him out to dry game after game, he'd be lucky to land a backup job in the CFL.

The Lions really should go after the lineman from either Alabama or Ole Miss and build from the trenches. A good oline could make an average QB look good. But sticking Brady or Manning behind the current Detroit oline would be a disaster, nevermind sticking a rookie back there.

This year's draft is deeper in quality OT's than any draft that I can remember. Backus isn't an all-star, but they have more pressing needs, especially on defense.

The #1 pick will almost certainly be an offensive player, most likely Stafford. I'd be ok with Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe or Michael Oher as well. They're going to *have* to take a QB either this year or next year, so it all depends on how high a grade they give to Stafford. I'm less concerned about OT then I am the guards. They need to find 2 new starting guards this offseason between free agency and the draft. Backus and Cherilus aren't what's going to get Stafford killed. The Lions going into next season with Stephen Peterman/Edwin Mulitalo/Manny Ramirez in rotation at the guard spots is what would get Stafford killed.

A dark horse to watch out for at #1 overall - Aaron Curry, LB - Wake Forest. If they can get him and his agent to agree to a contract that's less than they would have to pay Stafford, Smith, etc. but is still more than Curry would get going at # 3 to KC or #4 to Cleveland then I think it could happen.

Schwartz has a proven track record in the league as an assistant. He's already said that he will not be coaching the defense, that's Gunther Cunningham's job. Marinelli was never able to let go of being a D-line coach... he had no idea and no input as to what was happening on the offensive side of the ball...he was terrible at game time coaching decisions like time out usage and clock management. Marinelli was not ready to be a head coach, Schwartz is. Plus Schwartz isn't saddled with Millen - although I'm not sure that Mayhew is any better (yet).

The worst thing they can do this year is pick a lineman @ #1 and than gamble on a quarterback with the #20 pick. I'd go with Stafford and grab the best available lineman at #20...

They will RUIN any QB they pick up. Look at the history. Even Scott Mitchell, with one of the best ratings in Lions history left with nothing to show..

I say the Lions need to get an OL and then let whatever QB they can get to play for them dish the ball. That will go a long way to helping him manage to get the ball down the field. Plus, an OL will open the run game up and make the throwing game that much more effective.

Stanton needs a chance to prove he's a starter. I'd like to see Schwartz show that a new regime is in Detroit by drafting defense first.

Got a link to the original story? I see Culpepper and a blurb about Mike Furrey being pissed that he got let go.

Back