Lions SUCK!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They banned tailgating? That is just a mortal sin. WTF?

Well, I never tailgated, because I live like 4 hours away, but still, that is an American tradition!

Yeah, people have to tailgate in private lots or at Eastern Market, then take a shuttle to the Field.

Cripes, that is hard to believe. I can understand the why, but I think it's terrible. Other teams doing this?

Oh, well, that doesn't explain why the Lions suck so bad. I really had a gut feeling that they would pull this one out! I missed the game due to being at in-laws and having other things going on, but I honestly thought they would surprise everyone and win.

Looking forward to the Turkey day game though. I REALLY think they will do it then! They always seem to get up for that game and usually do pretty well, (except for the past couple of years I think...)

Cripes, that is hard to believe. I can understand the why, but I think it's terrible. Other teams doing this?

Oh, well, that doesn't explain why the Lions suck so bad. I really had a gut feeling that they would pull this one out! I missed the game due to being at in-laws and having other things going on, but I honestly thought they would surprise everyone and win.

Looking forward to the Turkey day game though. I REALLY think they will do it then! They always seem to get up for that game and usually do pretty well, (except for the past couple of years I think...)

I attribute it to the parking set up.
It's not a nice flatland like the Silverdome was.
It's leveled like a garage.

They suck because their coach is an idiot (WHATEVER TO YOU!), the former GM had no clue what he was doing. Their offensive coaching staff is a joke (3rd and 12? Let's throw side out and hope the receiver can turn it 12+ yards!). The defense is highly questionable and the owner refuses to do the right thing.

I take comfort in knowing that week after week the Lions can save defeat from the jaws of victory.

Do we expect lightning to strike for an 0-11 11-0 upset on Thanksgiving?

I take comfort in knowing that week after week the Lions can save defeat from the jaws of victory.

Do we expect lightning to strike for an 0-11 11-0 upset on Thanksgiving?

Hell no. The only chances that the Lions have left to win a game this year are @MIN and NO at home and I put them at about 25% to win one of those games - at best.

0-16 is looking for and more attainable.

I hate this downtime before the NFL draft.

I attribute it to the parking set up.
It's not a nice flatland like the Silverdome was.
It's leveled like a garage.

They suck because their coach is an idiot (WHATEVER TO YOU!), the former GM had no clue what he was doing. Their offensive coaching staff is a joke (3rd and 12? Let's throw side out and hope the receiver can turn it 12+ yards!). The defense is highly questionable and the owner refuses to do the right thing.

Yes, WTH is this guy making some of these calls for? I doubt I could come up with calls better than him, in the time that he has, but then again, I'm not an NFL coach like him, and his staff. I read up on some of his bonehead play calls today. Cripes again.

I hate this downtime before the NFL draft.

bigbowrofl.gif

Yes, WTH is this guy making some of these calls for? I doubt I could come up with calls better than him, in the time that he has, but then again, I'm not an NFL coach like him, and his staff. I read up on some of his bonehead play calls today. Cripes again.

I stay a "fan" strictly for the Marinelli press conferences.

"Whatever to you"

I love the Lions. I got like fifty points in the Fantasy League betting against them. I was debating between starting DeAngelo Williams or Jonathan Stewart, and ultimately decided to start both of them. 250 yards, three touchdowns between the,, baby! That, and the points I got from starting Carolina's D against them... sweetness! ;)

Basically, my strategy for the rest of the year is to accumulate as many players going up against Detroit as I can and make sure I start them. I've got Warrick Dunn for next week, he ought to be good for what, 100 yards rushing, 75 receiving, and a couple scores?

I love the Lions. I got like fifty points in the Fantasy League betting against them. I was debating between starting DeAngelo Williams or Jonathan Stewart, and ultimately decided to start both of them. 250 yards, three touchdowns between the,, baby! That, and the points I got from starting Carolina's D against them... sweetness! ;)

Basically, my strategy for the rest of the year is to accumulate as many players going up against Detroit as I can and make sure I start them. I've got Warrick Dunn for next week, he ought to be good for what, 100 yards rushing, 75 receiving, and a couple scores?

Wow, what an idea!

Even Hitler is fed up with the Lions.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkgOgssOqss]YouTube - Hitler hates the Detroit Lions[/ame]

If the suspensions of Pat and Kevin Williams stick and they don't play this weekend, the Lions may actually have a chance at winning a game.

So, we were watching the Lions get throttled on Thanksgiving (hey, it's a tradition), and I got to thinking.

I love the throwback uniform craze, but with the Lions... it really just makes them look even MORE like a semipro team (as if that were possible). No more throwbacks unless you have a history that's actually, you know... worth thinking back on nostalgically ;)

So, we were watching the Lions get throttled on Thanksgiving (hey, it's a tradition), and I got to thinking.

I love the throwback uniform craze, but with the Lions... it really just makes them look even MORE like a semipro team (as if that were possible). No more throwbacks unless you have a history that's actually, you know... worth thinking back on nostalgically ;)

The Lions did have some history -- in the 1950's

Go back in history before William Clay Ford bought the team and they were dominant. We're talking 40's and 50's though.

No, I'm not one of those fans who says things like 'Oh ya? Well they won xx championships 50 years ago!". They suck, everybody knows it, but history was brought up, so there you have it.

ANTHRAX SCARE IN MICHIGAN
The Detroit Lion's football practice was delayed nearly two hours late this morning after a player reported finding an unknown white powdery substance on the practice field.
Head coach Rod Marinelli immediately suspended practice while police and federal agents were called to investigate.
After a complete analysis, FBI forensic experts determined that the white substance, unknown to the players, was the goal line.
Practice was resumed this afternoon after special agents decided the team was unlikely to encounter the substance again.

That's what I get for talking smack to Evan!

I predicted a 2/3 win season, and that was AFTER they went 4-0 in the preseason. I'm ashamed to say that I predicted 2, possibly 3 wins and I'm not even close.

This team is a complete joke.

Fire Marinelli, Fire Mayhew, Fire Lewand.

Hire Pioli, Hire Josh McDaniel, sign Matt Cassell, Draft Andre Smith, Michael Johnson and Brandon Spikes.

DON'T sign Matt Cassell. He's good, but I'll wager the word coming out of people's mouths in twelve months is "Scott Mitchell". He's not going to be terrible, but not good enough to win games by himself and ultimately costing more than he's worth.

Rebuild in the trenches, rebuild in the trenches, rebuild in the trenches.

DON'T sign Matt Cassell. He's good, but I'll wager the word coming out of people's mouths in twelve months is "Scott Mitchell". He's not going to be terrible, but not good enough to win games by himself and ultimately costing more than he's worth.

Rebuild in the trenches, rebuild in the trenches, rebuild in the trenches.

I completely agree about building in the trenches. Note that I'm calling for and OT #1 overall, then a DE and a LB with their other 1st round pick and their 2nd round pick. Please, no skill position players in the top 3 rounds of the draft (in which they have 5 picks) and for the love of Pete, DO NOT DRAFT A QB #1 overall. Stafford, Bradford and McCoy may all end up being great NFL QB's, but none of them will survive with the OL that the Lions have.

I do think that the Lions will be a player in signing Cassell though. Especially if they're able to hire away Scott Pioli. William Clay Ford and the new GM will be looking to make a big name signing to get the fans butts back in the seats and Cassell is the hot name.

I'd be ok with them keeping Culpepper next year as long as they spend a ton of money on the defense and the OL, draft LB's, DL and OL, then when they win 3 games in '09 and are picking in the top 5 again they can take the best QB on the board.

I have a hard time judging what Cassell's market value will be. His agent was clamoring for a deal like Aaron Rodgers, or a little bit more, but that was before the stinker he put up against Pitt (he was OK today, not great). And, Wes Welker is one helluva receiver - having him to throw the ball to (even more so than Moss) makes him look a LOT better.
You don't go from oh-fer to deep in the playoffs in one season. Don't blow the wad on the shiny piece right away. True franchise guys - players who can step in, handle the media pressure, handle playing behing bad offensive lines and without receivers or a running game and dealing with all of the expectations, are incredibly rare.

Hire Pioli, Hire Josh McDaniel, sign Matt Cassell, Draft Andre Smith, Michael Johnson and Brandon Spikes.

I saw a similar statement on another board and the response was: we go from being the Detroit Buccaneers to the Detroit Patriots. Okay, maybe not as funny when read out of context, but I hope Detroit is more successful copying the Patriots than the Bucs.

Lions looked pretty good this week. Well the defense didn't look too bad. What the hell is up with the QB sneak!?? I thought GO for it guys, just don't try the QB sneak! Then the announcer says, "As long as they don't try to break through the Williams Wall!".

What do they do? QB sneak for no gain.

Idiots! Bunch of turnovers and they let them go wasted. At least Culpepper dropped a nice bomb for the TD on that ONE play...

WE DID IT!!!!!!!!

LionsSuck.jpg

Absolute imperfection: Lions become first team to finish 0-16

Green Bay, WI (Sports Network) - The Detroit Lions became the first team in NFL history to go 0-16 as Aaron Rogers threw three touchdowns and the Green Bay Packers put down the Lions, 31-21, to end Detroit's season of futility.

The Lions (0-16) became the first team since the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who went 0-14 in their expansion season, and the first team since the league went to a 16-game format to finish a full campaign without a win.

The Lions now join the 1962 New York Mets (40-112), the 1972-73 Philadelphia 76ers (9-73) and the 1974-75 Washington Capitals (8-67-5) as having the worst season in their respective sports. However, the Mets and Capitals were both expansion teams when they set the mark.

Detroit has finished winless previously, going 0-11 in the 1942 campaign that saw the war-depleted Lions outscored by a whopping 263-38.

Dan Orlovsky went 22-for-42 with 225 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions while Calvin Johnson had nine catches for 102 yards and two scores for the Lions, who have dropped 17 straight overall and 12 consecutive games on the road.

Rodgers went 21-for-31 with 308 yards while Donald Driver had six catches for 111 yards and a score for the Packers (6-10), who stopped a five-game skid, but missed the playoffs just one season after going 13-3 and coming within an overtime loss of playing in the Super Bowl.

Trailing by a touchdown early in the third quarter, the Detroit defense came up with a big play as Ryan Grant fumbled the ball on a carry and Kalvin Pearson recovered it at the Green Bay 11. Two plays later, Johnson caught a pass over the middle and raced into the end zone from 14 yards out to tie the game with 10:20 left in the third.

The score remained that way through the rest of the third quarter, but the Packers took a 17-14 lead on a 36-yard field goal from Mason Crosby just 1:26 into the fourth on a drive that spanned the third and fourth quarters.

After holding Detroit to a three-and-out on the ensuing possession, the Packers made it a 24-14 game as Rodgers hit John Kuhn out in the left flat and he just stretched the ball into the end zone on a five-yard score with 8:34 to play.

Detroit, though, needed just four plays to make it a three-point game. Orlovsky hit John Standeford on passes of 35 and 36 yards and Kevin Smith capped the drive with a nine-yard score to make it a 24-21 game with 7:32 to play.

The Packers, though, needed just one play to again make it a 10-point game as Rodgers found Driver wide open down the right sideline and he took it into the end zone on an 80-yard score.

Orlovsky was picked off with under three minutes to play and Green Bay killed off the rest of the clock.

After an exchange of punts to start the game, Green Bay took a 7-0 lead as DeShawn Wynn took a pitch out to the right, followed his blockers and raced down the sideline for a 73-yard score with 8:49 left in the first.

With Detroit holding the ball near midfield, Charles Woodson picked off Orlovsky and returned the ball to the Detroit 41. Six plays later, Rodgers found Jermichael Finley in the right corner of the end zone on a three-yard score for a 14-0 lead with 1:29 left in the first.

The Lions, though, answered with a long drive to get on the board. A 12-play drive that covered 63 yards was capped when Orlovsky threw a fade to the left side of the end zone and Johnson came down with the ball for a nine-yard score with 11:17 left in the second to make it a 14-7 game. The big play of the drive was a fourth down conversion that saw Orlovsky hit Keary Colbert for 11 yards to move the chains.

Game Notes

The Lions have dropped nine of the last 10 against Green Bay and have lost 17 straight road games in the series...Driver finished the season with over 1,000 yards receiving, the fifth straight time he has done that...Rodgers threw for over 4,000 yards on the season and became just the second quarterback in NFL history, Kurt Warner being the first, to throw for over 4,000 yards in his first year as a starter...Grant had 19 carries for 106 yards while Wynn finished the game with eight carries for 105 yards...Smith had 28 carries for 92 yards and a score.

So, are their going to be any managment or coaching changes in the next 24 hours?

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they gave Marinelli "one more chance". I read something last week that Ford doesn't want to spend a lot of money on a high profile coach.

Sigh, as much as I wanted an 0-16 season, I still don't think this dreadful performance is enough impetus for Ford to make any necessary changes.

It will be a long time before Detroit is anything more than a laughing stock.

Sigh, as much as I wanted an 0-16 season, I still don't think this dreadful performance is enough impetus for Ford to make any necessary changes.

It will be a long time before Detroit is anything more than a laughing stock.

The only thing that has kept the ownership on cruise control has been a sold-out Ford Field every Sunday. They'll not let the Lions go the way of their auto empire. Jr. won't let it happen.

Changes are coming.

The only thing that has kept the ownership on cruise control has been a sold-out Ford Field every Sunday. They'll not let the Lions go the way of their auto empire. Jr. won't let it happen.

Changes are coming.

Millen stayed far too long. WCF has already stated that Mayhew and Lewand are staying in place. So, it's business as usual for the Lions.

what i can't stand is ****ing marinelli's damn insistence that 1ST down is always a run

ie,,hey we just recovered a fumble on the gb11 lets run KS instead of a corner route to CJ

All I can say after its now said and done is...
THANK GOD THE SEASON IS OVER.

What a joke. The entire team is a damn joke at this point.
Don't tell me these guys went out and "tried their best" all day. Because that's crap.

Look at it this way...
Let's just say the entire team was scrapped. Who are your must keeps?
Who would you want to bring back?
Kevin Smith
Calvin Johnson
Ernie Sims
Jason Hanson
Cliff Avril
Standeford? (I liked what he's shown in the last 2 weeks, i'd give him a chance)...

For me, that's 5, maybe 6 players? On a damn NFL roster?
Absolutely unacceptable.

Someone should yank the team from Willy Clay. Give it to his kid and see if he can make something out of this.

what i can't stand is ****ing marinelli's damn insistence that 1ST down is always a run

ie,,hey we just recovered a fumble on the gb11 lets run KS instead of a corner route to CJ

One of my biggest gripes is when the Lions are at 3rd and 15 (because Dom took a great holding penalty) and we throw a side out.
IT'S 3RD AND 15, YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN 15, AND YOU THROW A SIDE OUT?
What are you thinking? That Cason is going to fool the D with his magical spin and juke moves? Idiotic.

Throw a slant.. You know, because that's the only thing your QB's can do effectively.

or of course it 3rd and 20 and he call guess what...a run!

hey capn good to see you around again

edit:i'd also keep the punter and long snapper. the punter(harris?) has been ****ing awesome for em and the LS ain't focked shot up either

Back