Lindeman's Dregs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emjay

Reaction score
No, I'm not talking about their backsweetened alcopops.

Decent beers - especially sours - are hard to come by here, but I recently picked up 5 bottles of Lindeman's Gueuze Cuvée René. I know it's not backsweetened, so I'm hoping it's not pastuerized either.

I brewed a lambic about 2 months ago and only used the Wyeast Lambic Blend, and so I'd like to pitch some actual lambic dregs if possible.

Basically, I'm wondering if anybody can tell me whether or not there are viable bugs in the Cuvée René dregs, so that I know if I should even bother pitching them.

lucky you. i saw it at my local shop as part of a sampler pack one time. when i came back to buy it the next day, it was gone. the sour/lambic selection sucks here.

Basically, I'm wondering if anybody can tell me whether or not there are viable bugs in the Cuvée René dregs, so that I know if I should even bother pitching them.

you've never heard of a starter? ;)

Is a starter worthwhile? The bugs eat slowly. Doubt it would hurt. Anyone with experience as to how long it takes to double in size?

Is a starter worthwhile? The bugs eat slowly. Doubt it would hurt. Anyone with experience as to how long it takes to double in size?

not really. but it could provide a definite live/dead answer. i just wanted to bust mj's balls a little.

Generally dregs are pitched not put into a starter. They will multiply and take care of any issues in the larger container over time. They also have the ability to overcome and/or kill other contaminants, just as some strains of yeast are killers.

Back