Limited krausen formation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markcubed

Reaction score
In terms of visually judging fermentation shouldn't we always have 2-3 inches of krausen going on in the first few days of fermentation? My brew had maybe a 1/4 inch of foaming for about two days and now (day three) it's all gone on top.

Is this abnormal?

I got a 1.061 OG brew going with Wyeast Abbey Ale II

Thanks

Temperature of fermentation?
What type of beer?
Did you direct-dump the yeast or do a starter?

(and one shouldn't go visually for tracking fermentation; fun to watch and it is your first indicator, but use your hyrdrometer over a couple days)

-J

Every yeast, every brewing situation is different.....all that matters is that you HAVE krausen, not how big or little, whether it looks like mashed potatoes of mountains or clouds or anything....You have fermentation happening, and that's all that matters.

Relax.

What he said ^^^^^^

For example, even within the same style, I've had very different krausens. I just bottled a witbier last night - this batch had a huge krausen, many inches thick. The previous batch of witbier I made a number of months ago, the krausen was very narrow.

No worries, as long as the yeast is doing its job, it will be good beer!

It's a Christmas Ale, no starter, air temp at 70F.

Heard if you're OGs are getting above 1.06 you should have a starter...? I just used a Wyeast Activator pack.

Back