Limited Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl110

Reaction score
I have a limited supply of grains (especially 2row), but really want to go ahead and brew something as I won't be able to restock my supply for another month or so. I only have the toasted malt and the 2row shown in the original recipe, but can change the other malts some. I also have #1 of C60 on hand that I could cut the special B with if needed.

4.5 2row
3 Munich (6row)
1 flaked oats
1 Special B
1 toasted
.75 chocolate
.5 roasted barley
.25 black patent

1oz Chinook @ 60
1oz Mt Hood @ 10
1oz Mt Hood @ flameout

OG 1.058/ IBU 42/ SRM 41

Any thoughts? Too much roasted malts? Too much 6row Munich? Thanks! :mug:

Sounds like a good stout to me although i havent used special b before-yet,if it were me and just my own experement preference i would have special b and 60.And what is munich 6 row,i never heard of it it is it light? dark? I know there are a few maltsters that make it but never heard of 6 row munich-for a stout im shure the 6 row would do.
What yeast?

Briess munich malt is a 6-row barley kilned to munich lovibond. Thats the reason I avoid buying domestic munich. I prefer Weyermann or Best for my munich supplier.

Oh,nice to know,i didnt know that.I just bought some belgian munich i think or was it belgian viennna.Not shure.How bout crisp marris otter vs.the other(i forget)the actual name.Is there a big diffence between those as well?

Crisp is an english maltster and as such I believe their Maris Otter truely is maris otter. I've used it in the past and have been quite happy with it. I've also used simpsons and don't any complaints about it. M.O should always be a 2-row winter barley.

Yeah. I bought the Munich before I knew there was a difference. I found one thread where some dude said he doesn't use more than 20% if it is 6row. I have 25%, but there are lots of roasted grains, so I'm hoping that is ok.

FWIW there are differences between malsters of any grain (say, MO), so none of them will be exactly alike, but when I asked and researched on the forum "they" said that a good rule of thumb is to get it where it is used. MO from Britain, Munich from Germany, etc (which makes sense). However, the Munich from Briess is not just from another malster, but a different grain altogether.

Any experience with the above Munich % question or any other suggestions are very welcome! Cheers!

You'll be fine with that % of 6-row munich. if you're super worried about haze, then do a short protein rest. Though with that much roast in there the brew will probably be dark enough to not notice.

I wasn't really concerned with haze, more with flavor. People mentioned that the 6row can get rather different than regular Munich at high %. I think though that the amount of dark grains should make up for that? I dunno really though.

On another note, I was playing around with this in beersmith and thought about dropping the roasted barley down to just an ounce or so, dropping the Special B down to a half pound, and adding a half pound of the C60 I have to make a robust porter. Hmmm..... Decisions, decisions.

Anyone else have any helpful tips on this? Think I should go porter or stout? I'm thinking I might brew this evening, but I still don't really know where I'm going on this. Thanks!

Back