Lime Peel vs. Lime Zest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratinator

Reaction score
My question is which one do you prefer (given you tried both)? My LHBS has brewers best lime peel that is dried out and in a bag or zesting your own limes? Thinking of doing a coconut/lime beer

I have tried the zest and the whole peel and I use the whole peel, some people have said that the pith makes it bitter but I haven’t experienced that. I add my peels at flameout and let them steep for 10-15 mins than I juice the lime and add that before I start to chill. I have done this with lemons, limes and oranges all with great results.

Just use a potato peeler to avoid the white stuff.
I just made an Orange Krusch (kolsch w oj peels) and used an orange worth of zest. Works great. I have kids so every time I give them oranges for a snack I peel the zest and put in freezer for brewing purposes. Also add it to plain meads as well.
I usually make a light lager w lemon peels and a touch of ginger for the summer.

I should also mention that for beer I throw in for the last 15 min of boil. I’ll usually tear off a piece during chilling and if the zest still has flavor left, I’ll fish out and add to primary.

Latest posts

Back