Lime Beer - What to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am currently making a light american ale and wanted some lime flavor in it, I heard the best way is using lime zest and vodka letting it sit for a couple weeks and throwing it in with the keg. I did 3 limes zest and 1.5oz vodka. How much will i need for a 5gal batch to just get a hint of lime?

What if you cold crash your beer, or filter it to get all the yeast out. Poor into a Keg and add a 2 liter of lemon lime soda in the keg with the beer. Or maybe just the lemon lime flavoring that they sell at the brew shop for making lemon lime soda.

Thread Necropoly...

I was looking at this thread for fast citrus sour.... Been doing the sour thing lately with Berliner Weisse and Gose.

Don't like the time required for traditional souring methods, but conflicted because I don't like faking it...

Been thinking Red Ale Grist with late addition of Clam Juice, Key Lime Juice, Lime Zest and Coconut. Pseudo-Salty-Sour Tropical. Then pitch 350F baked oak chips into the wort and sprinkle some S-04 or S-05....

Hmmm. Nah

I'm changing the Red Ale grist to;

88% pilsner
8% white wheat
4% acidulated malt

Im gonna hop with Wakatu.... Call it "Wakatu Key Lime"

I like to brew a simple american wheat beer (50/50 wheat/pils). Sometimes I'll add in half a pound to a pound of caravienne. Pitch regular US05 yeast (although you could do a hefewiezen yeast as well), as fermentation is dying down, pour in a bottle of simply juice like this: http://www.simplyorangejuice.com/product/tropical-juice-drink

I like to go to the store and see which ones they have. That tropical one is amazing, the limeade one is good too. It'll kick up fermentation for another day or two and then die down. Allow to ferment another week and then package like normal. Your friends will lose their **** for this beer

Thread Necropoly...

Been thinking Red Ale Grist with late addition of Clam Juice, Key Lime Juice, Lime Zest and Coconut. Pseudo-Salty-Sour Tropical. Then pitch 350F baked oak chips into the wort and sprinkle some S-04 or S-05....

Hmmm. Nah

I'm changing the Red Ale grist to;

88% pilsner
8% white wheat
4% acidulated malt

Im gonna hop with Wakatu.... Call it "Wakatu Key Lime"

I'm brewing this now with juice of 1 lemon and 4 limes the zest, and 8 oz coconut.

Wakatu Key Lime

Don't like the time required for traditional souring methods, but conflicted because I don't like faking it...

Sorry, but this is one of my beer snob pet peeves. You're not "faking it" you're just doing it a different way. (Not to denigrate beer snobs, I am proudly one)

Just because you do it different than the traditional way doesn't mean it's faking. At least I hope not, otherwise all the beers I've ever made were fake since I BIAB or all extract beers are faking it.

IMO if it tastes like a sour beer, it's a sour beer. So if say go ahead and fake it, you'll still make a good beer in a lot less longer of time.

Sorry, but this is one of my beer snob pet peeves. You're not "faking it" you're just doing it a different way. (Not to denigrate beer snobs, I am proudly one)

Just because you do it different than the traditional way doesn't mean it's faking. At least I hope not, otherwise all the beers I've ever made were fake since I BIAB or all extract beers are faking it.

IMO if it tastes like a sour beer, it's a sour beer. So if say go ahead and fake it, you'll still make a good beer in a lot less longer of time.

I'd agree... I'm a traditionalist but more of pragmatist. Don't like the long time to make sours.

I made a Berliner Weisse with a yogurt culture to make big lacto starter. Basically a controlled kettle sour. For this beer I wanted to sour it with lime for citric sour and then get some lime smell and coconut aroma.

Its a non-traditional sour. I am drinking a Leine Beer Garten Tart right now that is very clear, clean and without funk but has a vinegar taste. I think they made a pseudo-sour with distilled vinegar. I was thinking of this fake sour when I mentioned faking it....

Faking it sometimes works and sometimes not. The NOT is a overly smokey rauchbier with liquid smoke vs rauch malt. Faking it is ok, unless it means a mediocre/lack luster beer.

I'd agree... I'm a traditionalist but more of pragmatist. Don't like the long time to make sours.

I made a Berliner Weisse with a yogurt culture to make big lacto starter. Basically a controlled kettle sour. For this beer I wanted to sour it with lime for citric sour and then get some lime smell and coconut aroma.

Its a non-traditional sour. I am drinking a Leine Beer Garten Tart right now that is very clear, clean and without funk but has a vinegar taste. I think they made a pseudo-sour with distilled vinegar. I was thinking of this fake sour when I mentioned faking it....

Faking it sometimes works and sometimes not. The NOT is a overly smokey rauchbier with liquid smoke vs rauch malt. Faking it is ok, unless it means a mediocre/lack luster beer.
I'd be pretty surprised if a brewery dumped distilled vinegar into beer. It's more likely that they let some oxygen in and acetobacter produced acetic acid

I'd be pretty surprised if a brewery dumped distilled vinegar into beer. It's more likely that they let some oxygen in and acetobacter produced acetic acid

Buy a sixer and tell me if you think different. I drank 12 and kept thinking when should start making easter eggs. Its was mainly the after taste. I didn't mind it, in fact I was thinking of doing a Miller High Life 12'r with several drops of the following;

Balsamic
Red Wine Vinegar
White Wine Vinegar
Worchestershire
Malt Vinegar

Might be more WTF, how to sour MHL.... :D

Come fall I plan to do a sour brown hefeweizen or an American Oud Bruin.

IFaking it is ok, unless it means a mediocre/lack luster beer.

Yeah that's the key. I'm going to try two yogurt kettle soured beers in a few weeks during my vacation. (Also a lime, and a plum sour-I live in Japan and sour plum candies are super popular here)

simply juice is a good alternative in secondary but I like mine more limy so I ganeraly use about a 1/4 cup of lime juice in five gallans plus usual lemon orange peels ............if not enough can alwas add more just before bottling oor kegging

I just got some Keifer lime leaves that I will try to use in a lighter beer soon. Would it be out of style in a Belgian blonde?

If the cream ale is especially dry, I like the idea. Assuming you don't want to brew a light lager.

Wakatu, and Moteuka hops? I wouldn't heavy boil hop to keep it more balanced flavor (maybe heavier dry hop)

I'd try lime zest at end of boil
Supplemented with lime concentrate used very sparingly, added after kegging, with an eye dropper, to taste.

Serve with a shot of limeade in the glass, mixed with the pour.

Yeah that's the key. I'm going to try two yogurt kettle soured beers in a few weeks during my vacation. (Also a lime, and a plum sour-I live in Japan and sour plum candies are super popular here)

Ah, you posted in the other thread this weekend. Did you find your yogurt?

I still haven't looked yet, today and yesterday were the first days of my vacation so I spent them getting burnt at the beach and at a potluck. Tomorrow I gotta try to find a new computer, pick up my delivery at the post office from the "local" homebrew shop (there's just three in the county somlocalmis pretty relative) and then I'm on it

Thread Resurrection!

Where we all at with the tastiest zestiest Lime ale...?

Lime Vodka tincture
Lime Zest
Lime Marmalade
Lime Crystallised

Which will part with the most natural powerful flavour?
Maybe using all 4 methods?

I've had a couple salt & lime beers lately I really like. New Realm does a pilsner which is really good. Really limey, great beach beer. I just tried Stone's lime and salt lager and it's good. Much less limey a bit of the Stone bite, which is also really good if you don't want a lime bomb. I'm thinking of doing this on my next pilsner. After reading the thread looks like there's various methods. First go round I'll probably just jack up the NA content on the water and add some lime juice at flameout and see how that goes. Is there sugar in the lime juice that'll mess with fermentation? I'm not talking about a jug of Limeade, I mean the little squirt bottles of concentrated juice. I'm guessing there could be some sugar in there but not a lot?

Back