Light DME for the starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayday1019

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just went to the local HBS and intended to pick up some DME for my starter. I picked up the light version because I fugured it would affect the taste and cloer of my IPA less.

How do you guys feel about that? Did I make the right choice?

Thanks for the response. What do you mean, decant as much liquid off of the yeast cake? I have never done a starter before. Does liquid form on top of the Krausen, or do you pour the liquid from below it out first?

Thank you!

A starter is basically a mini-batch of beer. Well, not basically, it is a mini-batch of beer. The yeast will typically flocculate (or fall out) to the bottom of your starter vessel into a yeast cake leaving beer on top. This can be sped along a bit by placing the starter in the fridge for a day or so. If the yeast flocculates really well you can pour the liquid/beer off of the top leaving a nice yeast slurry in the bottom of the vessel for pitching into your batch.

OTOH, if it doesn't flocculate well, or I don't have time, I have no problem just pitching the entire starter into my batch but I generally try to decant the liquid if possible so as not to dilute too much.

mayday1019 said:
Thanks for the response. What do you mean, decant as much liquid off of the yeast cake? I have never done a starter before. Does liquid form on top of the Krausen, or do you pour the liquid from below it out first?

Thank you!

After the kreusen falls, if you leave the starter alone, or especially if you refridgerate it, the liquid will settle out: yeast slurry on the bottom, beer on the top. If you don't want to dilute your wrot any more than necessary, you can siphon or decant off that beer and pitch just the yeast slurry.

Thanks guys,

I guess my last question is, how long do you allow the starter to "start"? It typically takes 1-2 weeks for krausen to fall in a primary. Does it take less time in a starter since there's less fermentable sugar?

mayday1019 said:
Thanks guys,

I guess my last question is, how long do you allow the starter to "start"? It typically takes 1-2 weeks for krausen to fall in a primary. Does it take less time in a starter since there's less fermentable sugar?

Remember, all you're trying to do is increase the amount of yeast by about 4-5x so that when you pitch into your 5gal of wort, you've got a ton of yeast ready to tear it up! You're basically taking away that first day or so of "non-activity" in your primary where the yeast is busy multiplying and not so much concerned on converting sugars to alcohol and CO2. Certianly though, it will continue to multiply (at a much faster rate!) once pitched.

My typical starter: Boil about 2 cups of water, add just shy of 3 oz of extra light DME, bring back to a boil for about 5 minutes to ensure sanitation, pour into a flask, ice-bath to 75 degrees F, add yeast, airlock, and swirl it every time I go into the kitchen. It's ready to pitch within 1-2 days. :)

Texasageorge, Do you recommend using a stir plate. I have never made a starter, but am going to my next batch. Lots of literature out there says to use one. Is this something I might want to buy or is it just extra bling?

Texasageorge, Do you recommend using a stir plate. I have never made a starter, but am going to my next batch. Lots of literature out there says to use one. Is this something I might want to buy or is it just extra bling?

God I love my stir plate. Like most of the other toys, not absolutely necessary...but I do love it.

Guess I'll have to set aside alittle spending $ and invest in one. Thanks!!

Back