Light and Yeast Starter....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GB2010

Reaction score
Should I be worried about my yeast starter being effected by light? I know frementation can be affect if exposed to UV rays. Is this something I should consider despite the short amount of time the yeast spends in the starter?

Actually, its the hops that contain an ingredient that causes beer to go bad when exposed to light. Since most starters don't use hops (I've seen a few people use them), it shouldn't be a concern.

Thanks for the info. I don't plan on using hops in any of my starters. Any brewer tours you would recommend for the NC area?

Definitely! LoneRider, Carolina Brewing Company, Big Boss, and Aviator are all good. CBC is right next to my house and is REALLY popular. Usually about 150/week. Perhaps because of the free beer. Big Boss is nice too, but for some reason I've never been a huge fan of their beer.

Are you new in the area?

EDIT: Just noticed you said NC in general and I just gave you Raleigh. Let me know what part and I point you to some places. There is LOTS of good beer in NC.

Asheville area.
Pisgah Brewing, Highland Brewing, Asheville Pizza & Brewing, French Broad Brewing, and Green Man. FWIW my personal favorites were AP&B as well as Pisgah.

Thanks I am close to Raleigh. I am new to the area. Only been here a few months, just moved here from CO. I do make it out to Asheville so thanks aussy13. I know its not a brewery but Flying Saucer is one of my favorite places. Now that the summer is fast approaching looking for some nice hangouts and weekend trips. Thanks again

I am about to do the opposite. I am from NC and am going to move to CO. If ou ever makr it to SC, RJ Rockers in greenville is one of my favorite breweries in the SE

I know it sounds lame but the Coors brewery was actually interesting. The town of Golden is nice little ex mining town. Plus your just a hop, skip and a jump into the mountains for some snowboarding. CO is just like NC in that there are little breweries all over the place. Have fun!!!

OK, in Raleigh we have:

Breweries:
LoneRider, Big Boss, Carolina Brewing Company, Aviator, Triangle Brewing

Brewpubs:
Natty Greene's, Boylan Bridge, Top of the Hill, Carolina Brewery (diff than CBC)

Beer Bars:
Flying Saucer, Tyler's Tap House... There's a bunch of places with a good selection, but these are two mainstay's that have a HUGE selection

Beer Stores: Peace Street Market and Sam's Quik Shop (Sam's is an absolute must see. Twice the selection of the next best). Total Wine is ok, but a distant third.

Asheville is an awesome city for beer. Foothills in Winston Salem is a really nice (and delicious) brewpub. There's a couple cool places on the Outer Banks including a cool farm brewery that grows/makes just about everything they sell (Weeping Radish).

If you haven't already, you must visit this site (often)
http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=northcarolina

Thanks, Gonna make it a priority to try to get to all the Raleigh breweries this summer!!

Back