light and bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandlerBang

Reaction score
So I can't keg until I my tanks back from getting pressure tested. So I said screw it I'll bottle.
I have all of the bottles sitting on top of the stand up deep freeze. It is about the only place in the house that gets anywhere near 70 degrees this time of year..... Anywho, do the bottles need to be in the dark while bottle conditioning?

After they are completely carbed I'll move them to the basement where they stay a tasty 55 degrees.

boxes, or a blanket. just like medication, light affects most beer adversely.

--as a relevant aside--

i was in Prague earlier this year and got to taste bottled Pilsner Urquel right next to draft Urquel. Night and day difference. Anyone could taste the difference. Either they are different recipes, or (much, much more likely) the green bottles let the stuff get skunked up. Keep'em dark :)

I would say the need to be in the dark until you drink them

The darker the better.

Definitely need to keep them in the dark. Putting them in boxes should be sufficient.

boxes, or a blanket. just like medication, light affects most beer adversely.

--as a relevant aside--

i was in Prague earlier this year and got to taste bottled Pilsner Urquel right next to draft Urquel. Night and day difference. Anyone could taste the difference. Either they are different recipes, or (much, much more likely) the green bottles let the stuff get skunked up. Keep'em dark :)

Heinekin syndrome is what I refer to it as.

i was skeptical (i always am about nearly everything) but yeah, it's not subtle at all :)

It works for Corona, but to me, thats about it.

Keep them in the dark until the end is nigh.

damn. point taken. thanks

Latest posts

Back