Lifting a basket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
I'm converting to a basket since I'm going all electric soon.

The plan is to have Arbor Fab make one and I'm going to use their plate to press down the grain.

I realize that the current pulley that I have from Wilser probably won't support the weight of the basket along with smashing the grain with the plate.

Any suggestions on a pulley system?

I have a basket that goes inside my turkey fryer that I used for sparging. I just set a metal grill plate from a weber charcoal grill over the kettle while it was still on the propane burner and pushed on it like that. If you're worried about your current systems weight capacity, just use a ratchet strap or use the pulley you have and tie the rope off onto something. That way if the tensioner you have right now cuts loose, it can't go anywhere

I have a basket that goes inside my turkey fryer that I used for sparging. I just set a metal grill plate from a weber charcoal grill over the kettle while it was still on the propane burner and pushed on it like that. If you're worried about your current systems weight capacity, just use a ratchet strap or use the pulley you have and tie the rope off onto something. That way if the tensioner you have right now cuts loose, it can't go anywhere

That's not a bad idea using the grate. Have you ever had an issue with spillage?

The basket I'm getting made is a 400 micron so I think it's going to have a lot more holes compared to what you have.

I have an eye bolt above my kettle, which I run my BIAB rope through, and over to a mini winch on the wall. Here's a link to mini winch

ProGrip 05334 2" Mini Winch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007CVS2D2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I tried to put a hand winch on that wall but didn't work out since I need room to park my car. The hand winch would have reversible ratcheting so you can control up and down, whereas the mini winch is not reversible. So I use my silicone heat gloves to grip the rope and lower the bag after brewing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a bunch of pulleys from Lowes and mounted them to studs in the ceiling. Not counting friction, it should have a 4x mechanical advantage. BIAB has never been easier

I have not had a problem spilling any but I also do it outside so I don't mind if I spill a little

I'm converting to a basket since I'm going all electric soon.

The plan is to have Arbor Fab make one and I'm going to use their plate to press down the grain.

I realize that the current pulley that I have from Wilser probably won't support the weight of the basket along with smashing the grain with the plate.

Any suggestions on a pulley system?

I have an Arbor Fab basket and use a small ratcheting pulley to get it high enough to where the hooks / bar he makes will hold it when I use the press plate.
Here's an example from one of his tweets that looks like mine.

https://twitter.com/arborfab/status/547903926318944257/photo/1

Works perfectly.

Back