Libertine Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first 2 years were even worse. Thats why I opted out for the 3rd year. They also do 30% discounts for industry....same as members....

Was in California last week and came across a few of Libertines beers both on draft and in bottle. Drank mostly the Saison and Slo wild ale. I was really impressed with both. The saison might have been the best beer I had my whole trip that included a ton of Fantome and some in house bottles of Sante Bernice. Was kind of bummed I didn't make it down to their tasting room.

Was in California last week and came across a few of Libertines beers both on draft and in bottle. Drank mostly the Saison and Slo wild ale. I was really impressed with both. The saison might have been the best beer I had my whole trip that included a ton of Fantome and some in house bottles of Sante Bernice. Was kind of bummed I didn't make it down to their tasting room.
Hit me up if you ever want any bottles sent your way.

Both beers with be available for pick up on August 20th at our San Luis Obispo Tasting Room for Wild Register Members. This exclusive release will be two bottles, leaving a remaining solo bottle release for our 2016 finale. Get stoked!

We are also pleased to announce that we're updating our online store, so pre-sale on new release bottles will be suspended until early next week when we can get back on track. In addition to the bottle you receive with your allotment, you will have the opportunity to purchase additional bottles - limit to SIX for Summer Breeze and THREE for the Turpel Triple.

We'll see about that...

I mean, if it's available to the public at some point, fine, but words are supposed to have meaning

"
libertinebrew
What in the what!?
yep! A Libertine take on a traditional Belgian Tripel. It's sweet, boozy and bursting with peach and pear goodness. You'll hardly notice the 8.3% abv. Drop in to our SLO Tasting Room for a quick taste of this limited edition beer."

tumblr_inline_o82hgcC8Zy1r79k32_500.gif

Was in Cayucos this weekend and spent some time in Morro. Chose not to visit Libertine because of this thread. ZFG.

OTOH, Taco Temple in Morro is pretty solid, and a few hours in SLO was awesome. Will be headed back down at some point.

Was in Cayucos this weekend and spent some time in Morro. Chose not to visit Libertine because of this thread. ZFG.

OTOH, Taco Temple in Morro is pretty solid, and a few hours in SLO was awesome. Will be headed back down at some point.
I went to the SLO location a few weeks back and was actually really impressed. I won't renew their club, but the beers on draft were surprisingly good. I'd recommend checking them out the next time you head over.

Tap It was a cool location, but meh beers. I've had good stuff from them in the past, but they certainly aren't consistently good.

I went to the SLO location a few weeks back and was actually really impressed. I won't renew their club, but the beers on draft were surprisingly good. I'd recommend checking them out the next time you head over.

Tap It was a cool location, but meh beers. I've had good stuff from them in the past, but they certainly aren't consistently good.

There was a time when I would've tried to hit every beer-producer in the area. Now I'd rather spend that time sitting on a beach and drinking some ice cold AALs.

Cracked open a Summer Breeze last night and WOW. This is BY FAR the best beer libertine has ever made. The tartness is toned way down from last years, much more balanced. A ton of that signature libertine funk. The fruit flavor pops and is complex from the three fruits. Blackberry steals the show but raspberry and persimmon play supporting roles. Mothfeel is on point. As soon as I tried my bottle pour I went to my PC to order more only to see they were no longer available for sale (not sold out, not even listed) I hope that is just an error because I need all that I can get.

Was not going to renew anyway this year, but I am glad they made it even easier to not want to join.

LIBERTINE BOTTLE CLUBS
YOU SPOKE, WE LISTENED!
We couldn't be happier with the participation in our Wild Registry over the last four years. Your support, interest and feedback has helped us refine our product and continuously offer quality wild ales in an exclusive format. We decided to take your suggestions and open the format of our Wild Registry into a full fledged bottle club! We will still offer access to unique and limited beers; however, with a ramp up in production there will be more variety of 'one-off' beers than ever!

All club memberships come with a quarterly box of 750ml bottles, discounts at all our locations, Libertine Brewing Company gear and priority access to purchase limited release of our rarest and most exclusive product!

2thekellerwhale_JasonHudson_IMG_2016.jpg

THE LIBERTINE GOLD CLUB
Club members will receive 3 bottles hand selected quarterly by The Libertine. You will be charged $60 each quarter to cover bottles and shipping. Bottles will be shipped to you anywhere in the state of California oravailable for pick up at our quarterly release party. Quarterly releases will be set at December, March, June & September 15. Allow two weeks for shipping.
  • THREE bottles quarterly selected by The Libertine at 15% off.
  • 15% all purchases online or in-store (excluding food).
  • Growler Fill punch card, good for THREE 32oz fills at our San Luis Tasting room.
JOIN LIBERTINE GOLD CLUB
THE LIBERTINE PLATINUM CLUB
Club members will receive 6 bottles hand selected quarterly by The Libertine. You will be charged $110 each quarter to cover bottles and shipping. Bottles will be shipped to you anywhere in the state of California or available for pick up at our quarterly release party. Quarterly releases will be set at December, March, June & September 15. Allow two weeks for shipping.
  • SIX bottles selected by The Libertine at 20% off.
  • 20% all purchases online or in-store (excluding food).
  • Growler Fill punch card, good for FIVE 32oz fills at our San Luis Tasting room.
JOIN LIBERTINE PLATINUM CLUB

Was not going to renew anyway this year, but I am glad they made it even easier to not want to join.

LIBERTINE BOTTLE CLUBS
YOU SPOKE, WE LISTENED!
We couldn't be happier with the participation in our Wild Registry over the last four years. Your support, interest and feedback has helped us refine our product and continuously offer quality wild ales in an exclusive format. We decided to take your suggestions and open the format of our Wild Registry into a full fledged bottle club! We will still offer access to unique and limited beers; however, with a ramp up in production there will be more variety of 'one-off' beers than ever!

All club memberships come with a quarterly box of 750ml bottles, discounts at all our locations, Libertine Brewing Company gear and priority access to purchase limited release of our rarest and most exclusive product!

THE LIBERTINE GOLD CLUB
Club members will receive 3 bottles hand selected quarterly by The Libertine. You will be charged $60 each quarter to cover bottles and shipping. Bottles will be shipped to you anywhere in the state of California oravailable for pick up at our quarterly release party. Quarterly releases will be set at December, March, June & September 15. Allow two weeks for shipping.
  • Growler Fill punch card, good for THREE 32oz fills at our San Luis Tasting room.
JOIN LIBERTINE GOLD CLUB
Club members will receive 6 bottles hand selected quarterly by The Libertine. You will be charged $110 each quarter to cover bottles and shipping. Bottles will be shipped to you anywhere in the state of California or available for pick up at our quarterly release party. Quarterly releases will be set at December, March, June & September 15. Allow two weeks for shipping.
  • Growler Fill punch card, good for FIVE 32oz fills at our San Luis Tasting room.
Right? Holy ****ing abomination.

I love the insult at the top "You spoke we listened" I would like a list of people that Tyler spoke to. I am pretty sure it isn't anyone currently in the club haha

LIBERTINE BOTTLE CLUBS
YOU SPOKE, WE LISTENED!

THE LIBERTINE GOLD CLUB
JOIN LIBERTINE GOLD CLUB
They're just turning it into a wine club. Honestly surprised more breweries aren't going this route. There's already a customer base accustomed to this model, it creates a lot more certainty around demand and it simplifies the actual running of the membership by a ton.

They're just turning it into a wine club. Honestly surprised more breweries aren't going this route. There's already a customer base accustomed to this model, it creates a lot more certainty around demand and it simplifies the actual running of the membership by a ton.
I don't want beer to become wine.

I think your thought about demand is key. I doubt they expected having to send the 10 million bottles up to the Bay Area, I am sure they thought the members would snap them all up.

I think your thought about demand is key. I doubt they expected having to send the 10 million bottles up to the Bay Area, I am sure they thought the members would snap them all up.
And they probably have crazy variance between batches now. So some stuff sells out and people get mad (maybe not that far, this year at least). And other stuff sits. To a degree, it's hard to plan for that.

LIBERTINE BOTTLE CLUBS
YOU SPOKE, WE LISTENED!

THE LIBERTINE GOLD CLUB
JOIN LIBERTINE GOLD CLUB

i thought this was a slap to the face for current members. Shame!

Jove was good on tap.

Bottle wise, jove was not bad, exile on Broadway, saison, maybe the passion fruit one. The rest were Meh to not good. Last few have been sherbet fountain sour.
Interesting, I loved the framboise, turpel, pepe le pluot, soccer mom, and good vibrations. The only ones I havent been a huge fan of that we got as members was the saison fonce and the gary (I think the gary just needs more time, we shall see)

As someone who wasn't previously in their club (I read nothing but complaints about it), why is the change they are making so problematic to you all?

I think the way it was worded on how "we spoke, they listened" (which never happened) and the forced shipping...or at least sounds forced.

I understand that they are producing more beer so a preservation style / wine style membership seems more logical for them but now being given beers instead of opting to purchase what is wanted is now gone. This might change but as of the time of their email about it, doesn't sound good.

lol at the latest email. Could they use the term 'rare' any more to describe their beers?
"Why would I prepay for bottles that I don't know what they're gonna be?"

If you think about it, that's what you are doing now... except you paid for the whole year up front. We are still going to offer limited, rare one-offs to our members. We've just changed the payment structure to charge you quarterly instead.
You will still be able to buy more of what you want and less of what you don't. See next point.

I don't recall them making any one-offs this year.

"But I want to purchase additional bottles."

You'll still be able to purchase additional bottles, we are not taking that away from you. We will still offer an exclusive online storefront to buy additional bottles just as we did in the past, while inventory lasts. We've added the option to get 6 rare bottles, of which you'll ALSO be able to buy more of what you want and less of what you don't.

I'm sure you will have to pay for an "additional" shipper for your "additional" bottles.

"Is the platinum club just going to be twice the gold club?"

Good question. NO. Platinum club will receive 6 rare bottles. That is THREE more than the 3 that the gold club receives. Three more bottles of beers you love. Three more bottles that no one else will get. The variety will depend of the season, in the end we can ensure you'll receive more of what you love.

"no one else will get" until we fin out that our members didn't purchase as much as we thought. so now we have to throw them into distribution for less money to try and make our money back.

"Well I'll just wait and buy the bottles online or at my local bottle store."

If you want to wait and hope for limited stock to become available to the public at full price, that's your choice. We know this was a growing problem with our Wild Registry format, extra bottles ended up in distribution. The idea behind the bottle club is to figure out a more efficient way to offer rare bottles to the people who appreciate it most and not let them end up on the shelves somewhere. The majority of club restructuring is on our end, and in doing so we've figured out how to make it more affordable while keeping better track of how the inventory is sold. That is pretty much all that is happening here.
As far as bottles that make it to the general public, we'd rather not send these bottles to distribution, we'd rather send directly to the people that appreciate our beer most. At the end of the day, if members don't purchase extra bottles, we need to sell of them somehow to make room for the next run. These limited amounts go to key accounts across California that supported us most. After that, it is out of our hands. It hurts us too to see people get their hands on product originally intended to be exclusive to members only. Rest assured, this distribution is extremely limited and progressively ending. With your help growing the club, less and less bottles with hit distribution. So if your intention is to wait out each quarter and pick up scraps at your local bottle shop, that is a fair approach, but you will definitely miss out on a lot beers and perks that we will offer only to members.

L-O-L or you know you can store them in a cellar and re-release them in the future to members only!

"If I live local I am basically paying for shipping I don't want!"

The set price for the Gold Club is $60 and Platinum is $110. These quarterly payments include shipping charges for your bottles. If you are picking up your bottles, the money we'd spend on your shipping is applied towards a rad party at our brand new restaurant in San Luis Obispo. We will have live music, rare beer tastings, free food and special brew guests. If you don't pick up your bottles with in a week of this party, your bottles will be shipped to you whether you like it our not.
Do the math, even with the included shipping these bottle allotments are drastically discounted compared to our WR format. We spent the last years storing everyone's beers until you could find the time to mozy down the street to pick them up. Now you don't have to walk anywhere except to an awesome party - win win.

940.gif

Last edited:
I think the way it was worded on how "we spoke, they listened" (which never happened) and the forced shipping...or at least sounds forced.

I understand that they are producing more beer so a preservation style / wine style membership seems more logical for them but now being given beers instead of opting to purchase what is wanted is now gone. This might change but as of the time of their email about it, doesn't sound good.

That makes sense. I definitely get where you all are coming from then. But in fairness to Libertine, this will probably be 100 times easier to run. It's pretty clear they couldn't run what they were doing as well as people wanted them to.

Mmmmmk, I was slacking on reading that latest email but the 4 things I find as basically the slap in the face gif above...

1. We pay less with this than current Wild Registry (actually no, we don't)
2. They almost made it sound like current WR members are to blame for bottles going into distribution
3. The part about taking the shipping money (if local) and using it towards the party seems pretty shitty and especially that ending portion of the sentence of "shipped to you whether you like it or not" rubs me the wrong way.
4. English and grammar....I know they have yet to master that part in their emails but damn....at least try.

Back