Libertine Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations, you are now a part of the Libertine Brewing family!

By joining the Wild Registry, you will receive 12 of our favorite bottled offerings throughout 2016, along with Libertine swag, member-only parties, discounts and more. But more than that, you’ve helped us on our quest to craft the best brews we possibly can and continue to challenge ourselves. The proceeds from your Wild Registry membership will go towards a new bottling line for our downtown San Luis Obispo brewery. We work incredibly hard on all the beer we produce and we never want all that brett, sweat and tears to be wasted on the last step by subpar bottling equipment. We’ll still be releasing 100% bottle conditioned Wild Ales that are flush-corked and capped, but they’ll be filled using a state-of-the-a! rt Italian engineered machine, allowing little to no error on each bottle.

Had to go back and check my email for club details. It doesn't say anything about club bottles being exclusive, so I guess I can't be butthurt about the bottles being distributed. Still not happy about the pricing, and have trouble envisioning a situation where I'll be re-upping next year as an out-of-towner.

Had to go back and check my email for club details. It doesn't say anything about club bottles being exclusive, so I guess I can't be butthurt about the bottles being distributed. Still not happy about the pricing, and have trouble envisioning a situation where I'll be re-upping next year as an out-of-towner.
I agree, I take it as my fault for assuming club bottles would be limited or brewery-only type stuff. The pricing though, which at this point is the only "perk", is starting to piss me off. Retails for the same or less than I paid after member's discount is some BS.

I agree, I take it as my fault for assuming club bottles would be limited or brewery-only type stuff. The pricing though, which at this point is the only "perk", is starting to piss me off. Retails for the same or less than I paid after member's discount is some BS.

I agree with this but here in SD I haven't seen their beers anywhere on shelves. I have a feeling I could walk into 2 stores and see it and they would likely be $30/per so at least there the membership and discount are helping me out. But yes, if I could go to a store and get it right now for the price of the bottle with my discount and/or potentially less I would feel that the membership itself really isn't worthwhile.

2 out of 3 of our last allocation, Exile and Good Vibrations, both went to distro.

Who needs a 30% discount when you can buy them retail at that price... pretty sure $24 - 30% = $16.80. So... retails cheaper than they sold it to me for... a member. Awesome.

JdkiQ2kvOovx6.gif
Right, I get that... but all of the last like 10 posts are people getting all upset as if this happens all the time. This has now happened exactly once. The exclusivity thing is not guarenteed, and the price thing is ****ed up yes, so Libertine is going to have explain that to a lot of annoyed members during the next release. Generally speaking, the 30 percent is a good deal and more than makes up the shipping when buying even a half case. The $24 bottle being sold retail for so much lower seems more like a big **** up than a big **** you to members.

I am not trying to defend Libertine, like I said, I won't let them hold my bottles because I don't think they even know how to use a spreadsheet or keep track of who has picked up what and they generally suck at all communication... but none of this is new and there is some over generalization going on.

but 30% off of what? That's the thing, it's no different than retail stores that mark **** way up, then put it on sell for 30% off. When the 30% is coming off of a sticker price that is significantly higher than the sticker price regularly being seen in retail, that's called a scam.

but 30% off of what? That's the thing, it's no different than retail stores that mark **** way up, then put it on sell for 30% off. When the 30% is coming off of a sticker price that is significantly higher than the sticker price regularly being seen in retail, that's called a scam.
So all I am saying is that is an over generalization when it has happened exactly once. It is more likely that there was a **** up (probably on their end) when they sold it for distro... at least until proven otherwise.

So all I am saying is that is an over generalization when it has happened exactly once. It is more likely that there was a **** up (probably on their end) when they sold it for distro... at least until proven otherwise.

This has happened before - they sell their bottles at a huge discount to a distributor, and then the retailers get the wrong target shelf price. Sounds like a miscommunication between the manufacturer and distribution company about pricing expectations.

It wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer has sold their beer for more than a nearby retailer - Bottle Barn has historically carried Pliny for ~13% off the price at the brewery. Distro is a weird business.

And hey, at least you guys have beer. Could be worse, a la J. Wakefield or Wolves & People...

Summer is here so you need more beer!
We've got lots of great stuff coming up as we speed into summer!

Bottles available Monday, May 23rd at 9am in the Online Members Store:
Thanks Brian!
Framboise

*The beers are NOT included in your Wild Registry membership! These beers are in addition to the membership and must be purchased if you want them.*

Bottles available Monday, June 13th at 9amin the Online Members Store:
Gary
Jove
Soccer Mom

*You are receiving one of each of these beers in your Wild Registry membership however additional bottles will be available to purchase. The Wild Registry release party will be Saturday, June 25th at our San Luis Obispo brewery, more details coming soon.*

All bottles are available in the Members Online Store.

Thanks Brian!
FgHOo7DVwGgcpym_DvaPzZ8e9qvE2xbfOlYTG4g0GR6wwjMZEzjMVcf8sCrbdSv2yqlahjeuiK3FA0O11eDybDDa-mzs1vGjRFZHrWDz7dXIC93t-dhouoNQE6O5JrozbGJ4zKM-cM0OJ2-jR_GoAszxk5HOwVBZRYbm6CQ=s0-d-e1-ft

What started as a 12-hour-long mistake turned into one of our most unique and amazingly complex creations yet. Since day one, our boiler has been an issue. This started as our saison but only simmered in the kettle for 12 hours without fully reaching a boil. After scratching our heads at what to do, we decided to toss it into 12-year-old Elijah Craig barrels that had just been delivered the day prior. After 10 months, we revisited it and boy was it amazing! Huge oak and booze on the nose, transitions to a light acidity and a caramel maltyness. Very unique and one-of-a-kind. We couldn’t make this beer again if we tried! 8% abv.

Available Monday, May 23rd at 9am
$22 each, limit four per person
*VERY LIMITED* 3-Liter bottles available: $140 each, no discount applied.
Framboise

zzXUYwg-USixbGX7_RlFkcjXdRMtVfFXoUPLJKiPV4EFr6O_suc9VEJ8p5YBkwkVOIDByKYL5c8M38x0Gl-M3fPORBFqDoqjxUSdLtR2enETSC33tCSDK79T-5tbgPiYzEIKpHNXisf5C9eIoaPJJmxjQwYH7N2MWZkDDi8=s0-d-e1-ft

A delicious fruit forward wild ale aged on raspberries. We took our barrel aged golden ale and then transferred it onto a ton of deliciously juicy raspberries to age. The tartness from the fruit really shines in this complex and very dry beer. Limited quantities available, so grab it while you can! 6% abv.
Available Monday, May 23rd at 9am
$22 each, limit four per person
Gary

-GQtWoXonGfoGWEsC1JuwXJdZukZiYij94AYfhyTsfXMIr5py5SEq2PvhOkFHfAPditqfugFn06mrWhIbUzoNWbsUgTct9emIPYoOK2Rq3cruIZyPg0Hj-wx7MHQJ9DVSJOBhymvY6-by9UfN8LbgXvq7pkBIXaE2AOSA3M=s0-d-e1-ft

Gary is a wine/beer hybrid made for our founder, Tyler's, father. He has always been a huge influence on the Libertine with his hard work ethic, craftsmanship, amazing musical talent/knowledge, and love of wine (specifically chardonnay). We took our house saison and blended it with some amazing Central Coast oaked chardonnay from The Fableist Winery, on the aptly-named "Garey Vineyard". This hybrid is extremely drinkable with a touch of oak and great wine notes mixed with the dry funkiness of our house saison culture. Artwork is a portrait by the multi-talented Aubree, Gary's four-year-old granddaughter. 9%abv.
One bottle included with your membership
Additional bottles available Monday, June 13th at 9am
$26 each, limit four per person
Jove

7IjfZErUWH0scLJPAihCvu4T0WlRZrb4tlADhRpHeuka2V5IFCIG2TW050gGWCrgBgM9KNFaA0CqR6JcXibs4DKQcvOdrQJZk3l_OJw9lSunc1ksWmxK5YrvNUzFn7UQg_efnB9t7Fobn6rGqJ-1JcA8-JXigOUVPNXuFDY=s0-d-e1-ft

We took our Gose and aged it in oak barrels along with a ridiculous amount of blackberries. Extremely fruit forward while still being very dry with a good amount of acidity. Originally made for one of our favorite beer bars, Jupiter, in Berkeley and named after the Latin translation of Jupiter, it turned out so amazing we couldn’t not make more. 6% abv.
$20 each, limit eight per person
Soccer Mom

i22U6hJmX1He4NO9zva4k1d4jy6McMWiT_88y5DSSgyMme0TcWRdh71prm1vaPaUVi5Puq7vXEZ_9bELKiGvzwjRGxQyLyw5L7jOc0fXLeDmX6cHmFHfLH0Vs3e6nkX4bIHte71S0QNKwTFeI9dcycdDzlpzOacHw3pqhe0=s0-d-e1-ft

A great summer sipper bursting with tangeries and oranges sourced from our friends at Stepladder Ranch. We took our gouden fouder base and aged it on freshly-picked oranges and tangerines, giving our tart, funky golden ale a huge citrus burst! This screams summer on the soccer field. 6%abv.
$18 each, limit four per person
One Last Thing!

On Tuesday, June 7th, we are having our final appeal to the Santa Maria City Council to allow us to have a small tasting room at our soon-to-be Santa Maria location. We have recently moved our packaging and barrel aging to Santa Maria and were planning on opening a small tasting room at that location. The planning department has denied our request due to a petition from a neighboring businesses citing that we would bring down the industrial complex due to “seedy activity”, something that we completely disagree with.
This tasting room is integral to our success at this location and we need your help!

Please call, email and/or show up and help advocate on our behalf!
City Council meeting
Tuesday June 7th at 6pm
Santa Maria City Hall
110 East Cook Street

Cheers,
Tyler & the Libertine Brewing crew

Anybody get a Thanks Brian 3L?

Soccer Mom is some awesome artwork. Someone's feelings will be hurt.

Glad I'm not in this club from the sounds of things. I always crack up when someone talks about an arbitrary rule, as if they are all designed with pure motives. . .

Basically here is what I think of arbitrary pick up windows:

fa20ab106cc701301d50001dd8b71c47

Ill be there
I'm really looking forward to it! Wanting to try everything out before having to open any bottles this go round. You've gone before right? Is there food or should I get a good meal in beforehand? Have any details on time been posted yet, I couldn't find any?

I'm really looking forward to it! Wanting to try everything out before having to open any bottles this go round. You've gone before right? Is there food or should I get a good meal in beforehand? Have any details on time been posted yet, I couldn't find any?
Yeah, I went to the Q1 release party. They had cheese plates, but nothing else. More of a snack so I would grab some food beforehand (I did). I think last time it started at 10 or 11 can't recall exactly.

The shitty as **** city council voted 4-1 to not allow them to have a tasting room :(. ****ing shitty backwards hick towns.

It sounded like the businesses surrounding where the taproom would be played their hand. I believe I read the only business that liked it was the one that basically shared walls, they even said they would let taproom patrons use their designated parking spaces. A few of the others said they would take their business elsewhere. Could have been a bluff but my guess is those businesses that would have left (assuming not a bluff) bring in more money for the city than a taproom would. =(

It sounded like the businesses surrounding where the taproom would be played their hand. I believe I read the only business that liked it was the one that basically shared walls, they even said they would let taproom patrons use their designated parking spaces. A few of the others said they would take their business elsewhere. Could have been a bluff but my guess is those businesses that would have left (assuming not a bluff) bring in more money for the city than a taproom would. =(
Do you know where abouts they were planning on this? I grew up down there and am just curious. I thought it was out by the truck yards and whatnot.

Do you know where abouts they were planning on this? I grew up down there and am just curious. I thought it was out by the truck yards and whatnot.

"The company recently bought an 8000 square foot facility located in the A Street just off Betteravia Road, near the Santa Maria Public Airport."

Wherever that is.

Really looking forward to the release party this weekend. Any details out yet? Anyone have any recommendations on a spot to eat nearby for breakfast?

Last edited:
Really looking forward to the release party this weekend. Any details out yet? Anyone have any recommendations on a spot to eat nearby for breakfast?
Following for this, really looking forward to it as well! Say hi :) I'd say hi but I assume you dont look like your avatar haha.

Following for this, really looking forward to it as well! Say hi :) I'd say hi but I assume you dont look like your avatar haha.
Well damn, never mind. Looks like the party is canceled :(
I really hope that this email doesn't mean the only place you can drink there now is that closet of a tasting area.
Yeah, not sure how long I'll actually be there with the cancellation and the small space to taste. I do have 20+ bottles I need to pickup though, so still planning on stopping by. Guess I'll be spending more time at Central Coast Brewing than I had expected. Might check out BarrelHouse's spot. Is a drive to Morro Bay to visit the pub worth it?

Yeah, not sure how long I'll actually be there with the cancellation and the small space to taste. I do have 20+ bottles I need to pickup though, so still planning on stopping by. Guess I'll be spending more time at Central Coast Brewing than I had expected. Might check out BarrelHouse's spot. Is a drive to Morro Bay to visit the pub worth it?
I honestly wouldn't even plan on drinking at Libertine in SLO. Not sure if you have been there before, but now the only place you can drink beer is that small closet of a tasting space where the taps are. The Morro Bay location is DEFINITELY worth the short drive, they have guest taps, as well as a beautiful view of the bay.

I honestly wouldn't even plan on drinking at Libertine in SLO. Not sure if you have been there before, but now the only place you can drink beer is that small closet of a tasting space where the taps are. The Morro Bay location is DEFINITELY worth the short drive, they have guest taps, as well as a beautiful view of the bay.

On the + side. When I visited during FWIBF weekend that small area was about 10 degrees cooler than the barrel-room area. So I never minded going up to get the next round. =)

Yeah I was really only planning on getting a few splashes to see what to fill my growler with tbh. Hrmm, maybe I'll plan on taking the short drive to the pub then. Probably after a quick stop at CCB to fill a growler of Monterey St. Pale!

Yeah I was really only planning on getting a few splashes to see what to fill my growler with tbh. Hrmm, maybe I'll plan on taking the short drive to the pub then. Probably after a quick stop at CCB to fill a growler of Monterey St. Pale!
I want all the Monterey St. Pale! Morro offers growler fills as well :)

Back