LHBS screwed up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRHoots

Reaction score
I purchased what was supposed to be 6 lbs of pilsner and 3 lbs of vienna from my LHBS for a Kolsch. Brewed it up today and the results look like anything but a Kolsch. Looks like I've got a mystery beer on my hands. Maybe I'll call it an Altbier. šŸ˜„
20210806_155922.jpg

I called my first two attempts at a best bitter Frankenbitters because I kept buying slightly wrong ingredients. They were still delicious though, bet yours will be, too.

i'm looking at it, just wondering WTF the white stuff is?

That's break material. It's perfectly normal for the non-digital hydrometer plebes to experience phenomena such as this.

Late at night, huddled together for the scant warmth our tattered rags and body heat might provide each other, we sometimes tell tales about you. You and your digital hydrometer.

You and your digital hydrometer.

wait, i have a digital refractometer? and how do you get that much break into a graduated cylinder? serious question.....damn there's a revenge of the nerds movie quote i wish i could remember...PLEB! lol, i think it was the guy that drank, smashing a can on his head.....but anyway...i knew it was break..

was wondering if that was mash sample? boiling and fermentation lighten beer quite often.

edit: i only half know what i'm saying it's 12:30am.....but i meant it when i said it's a refractometer!

Digital refractometer, digital hydrometer, it's all the same and it's counter revolutionary behavior.

Just you wait, Bracc, you and your digital lab equipment will be among the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Edit: Joking aside, yeah, that's pretty normal if you run a high boil pH and you forget to pull a hydrometer sample until you're sucking the really light bits off of the trub pile. I've been there.

Digital refractometer, digital hydrometer, it's all the same and it's counter revolutionary behavior.

Just you wait, Bracc, you and your digital lab equipment will be among the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

every day i wait for the ban hammer....but anyway the OP picture is about right for the recipie..here's beersmith's prediction...and mash stuff or whatever....could lighten

1628322492208.png

i look forward to a poured glass.....dark or light!

Yeah, you got that right!

That stuff is guaranteed to be the best batch he's ever made, because he has no clue what the recipe is.

That's how homebrewing works.

If you can't take a joke, stop brewing beer. :bigmug:

Edit: Yeah, I also agree with your point: 3lbs of Vienna in a Kolsch, plus an elevated pH... I can see that happening. Frankly, I quit brewing Kolsch in the mid-90's when we realized that it wasn't a hybrid lager/hefe. Why bother brewing Kolsch when you can brew an actual lager for the same effort? Yeah, yeah, white wine notes, tiny glasses, blah, blah blah. It's German. Stop thinking, just throw S-189 or 34/70 at it and call it good.

Last edited:
If you can't take a joke, stop brewing beer. :bigmug:

what and give up my $8 10 gallon batches? go to bar paying $4-5 for a glass?

And we can all* agree that when beer was invented they didn't use a digital hydrometer so you can't make beer with one.

*except that one guy.

damn it i wish i could afford the $300 for a digital hydrometer! i've got a digital refractometer! (and they didn't have thermometers either, so now who's brewing again?)

and @JRHoots Welcome to the party, they like picking on me! and if it was caravienna and you're worried about it being to sweet, taste it before bottling, and dry hop? or if you keg, hop in the keg? maybe?

i'm looking at it, just wondering WTF the white stuff is?
Yeah it's just the break material as previously stated. 15 years of brewing and I still can't let go of my trusty hydrometer. I used whirlfloc, but I'll agree it's quite a bit more than normal. I'll just attribute that to the mystery ingredients also šŸ˜„

what and give up my $8 10 gallon batches? go to bar paying $4-5 for a glass?

damn it i wish i could afford the $300 for a digital hydrometer! i've got a digital refractometer! (and they didn't have thermometers either, so now who's brewing again?)

and @JRHoots Welcome to the party, they like picking on me! and if it was caravienna and you're worried about it being to sweet, taste it before bottling, and dry hop? or if you keg, hop in the keg? maybe?
Definitely gonna dry hop. This batch is drastically underhopped for a malty brew. It won't add IBU's but it should still help. I never give up on a brew.

Yeah it's just the break material as previously stated. 15 years of brewing and I still can't let go of my trusty hydrometer. I used whirlfloc, but I'll agree it's quite a bit more than normal. I'll just attribute that to the mystery ingredients also šŸ˜„

i don't have a valve on my kettle, so i'm not sure how much i'd get in a graduated cylinder pulling from the bottom....the only time i get a cylinder with that much though, is when i'm mini-vorlaufing my mashtun, to get a clear sample.....? and i just recently got a refrac, still don't entirely trust it....

be sure to post a folow up pic of a glass poured, so we can see the comparison!

Did you order the grain online and have it shipped, or did you pick it up in person? If the latter, did you get it yourself from their grain room? Just wondering if their bins were mislabeled.

every day i wait for the ban hammer....but anyway the OP picture is about right for the recipie..here's beersmith's prediction...and mash stuff or whatever....could lighten

View attachment 738134

i look forward to a poured glass.....dark or light!
This is what I got from Beersmith. Thats with a little acid malt and carahell, which I did add. Definitely quite a bit lighter than what I got. I also don't think my picture really did it justice. That being said, I'm still looking forward to trying it. Of course I want it to be amazing, except that I don't know if I can reproduce it.
20210807_134247.jpg

Did you order the grain online and have it shipped, or did you pick it up in person? If the latter, did you get it yourself from their grain room? Just wondering if their bins were mislabeled.
Local homebrew shop. They always go in the mysterious back room and return with a bag full of grains. You never really know for sure if its accurate until you brew.

i don't have a valve on my kettle, so i'm not sure how much i'd get in a graduated cylinder pulling from the bottom....the only time i get a cylinder with that much though, is when i'm mini-vorlaufing my mashtun, to get a clear sample.....? and i just recently got a refrac, still don't entirely trust it....

be sure to post a folow up pic of a glass poured, so we can see the comparison!
I'm going to brew the exact same recipe again. I'll do a side by side comparison. šŸ»

Local homebrew shop. They always go in the mysterious back room and return with a bag full of grains. You never really know for sure if its accurate until you brew.

Bag full of mysterious grains. :oops:

Never seen a LHBS do that, but everyone's different. The ones I've been to always had some kind of "grain room," with self-serve bins and a scale.

This is what I got from Beersmith. Thats with a little acid malt and carahell, which I did add. Definitely quite a bit lighter than what I got. I also don't think my picture really did it justice. That being said, I'm still looking forward to trying it. Of course I want it to be amazing, except that I don't know if I can reproduce it. View attachment 738208

i didn't realize at the time, my pic was from a 2 gallon batch...

Never seen a LHBS do that, but everyone's different. The ones I've been to always had some kind of "grain room," with self-serve bins and a scale.
They're a bit old school. Unfortunately I just found out they'll be going out of business. šŸ˜”

I used to patronize Bader Brewing when I lived in Vancouver, WA. The clerks pulled the grains, but all the bins were in the showroom so you could watch for pulling errors. I never saw any.

I've seen some Kolsch recipes call for 40% Vienna, other say you sould use a "touch" of Vienna, like 5%? Hey its still beer!
:bigmug:
Yeah I like to use a decent amount, but I've never seen it turn a beer red before. Like you said, it's still beer!šŸ»

I purchased what was supposed to be 6 lbs of pilsner and 3 lbs of vienna from my LHBS for a Kolsch. Brewed it up today and the results look like anything but a Kolsch. Looks like I've got a mystery beer on my hands. Maybe I'll call it an Altbier.
I average about one 10 gallon brew a month and purchase (LHBS/online) all my base malts by the sack for the convenience and savings. And I just made a killing at Hopsdirect.com by buying hops by the pound at nearly 60% savings over previous purchases. The advantages to bulk purchases aren't just the identification issue, cost, or convenience but also the wort consistency from brew to brew.

BTW, your wort looks delicious. Happy mistake!

damn, man that's one fine red color! is that lighting or the way it actually looks?

and post another pic with a proper pose, with the head above the rim! i want to see it from a different angle...(just pour strait to the bottom, rough, let the foam die down to set the protein, then gently fill it up...i want to go to sleep dreaming that is my pillow! :mug:)

damn, man that's one fine red color! is that lighting or the way it actually looks?

and post another pic with a proper pose, with the head above the rim! i want to see it from a different angle...(just pour strait to the bottom, rough, let the foam die down to set the protein, then gently fill it up...i want to go to sleep dreaming that is my pillow! :mug:)
20210925_173930.jpg

It might not be what you wanted, but it sounds like it will be enjoyed! Looks great!
It's fantastic. I'm not really into malty beers, but this isn't bad. Malty sweet but definitely not under-attenuated. It has a nice toasty flavor also. I thought maybe they gave me something other than Vienna, but now I'm thinking they gave me the 3# Vienna and 6# Munich instead of pilsner. I'm definitely not complaining.

Back