LHBS Inventory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing about Huntersville/Cornelius is that there's already a shop in Cornelius (Alternative Beverage, part of ebrew.com). I think they're going out of business though. It's good in the sense that you'd be losing competition, but bad in the sense that the location might not be able to sustain a full-time shop. It's also possible that they just don't run the shop well enough. If you haven't been there before, I'd recommend stopping in just to get a sense for how they're running the shop and how you can do better.

Ive been shopping with them for 20+ years. Know the owner personally, he's had a monopoly for way too long. He's very wishy washy at 71, they are closing but we will see. Either way, bring it on.

I haven't thought of everything (like everyone things) but Im rolling with the punches.

UPDATE:
Website is looking great and will be up in the next week out or so.

Wife has FB up and working.

Looking for a place, have some promising contacts. I think everyone is focused on Santa right now.

So I was thinking this as well as I live in Des Moines and we had our two stores close within the last year. We no longer have any home brew stores in our market, but we have 2 thriving clubs of brewers that are pretty well attended. I thought about doing this out of my basement and having strictly online order and self pickup type service for the local brewers.

As a CPA I figured I’d run some numbers on it trying to figure out volume of sales. What I thought would be my strategic advantage, not having rent, really boiled down to a volume issue. Let’s say I did $10k volume of sales/year with a 25% markup. I’d only be taking home $2,500 before other misc expenses. That’s probably not worth my time, even if it was $5,000. The hours putting together recipes and the cost of fridges and misc items would eat into that profit pretty quick. There’s a reason the large retailers are successful. They have LOTS of money to spend on advertising and can deal out of warehouses in HIGH volume. Volume is the key to any retail store. Even if you do $100k sales/year at 25% you still only take home $25k of profit which simply isn’t enough in my opinion to justify a store!

So I was thinking this as well as I live in Des Moines and we had our two stores close within the last year. We no longer have any home brew stores in our market, but we have 2 thriving clubs of brewers that are pretty well attended. I thought about doing this out of my basement and having strictly online order and self pickup type service for the local brewers.

As a CPA I figured I’d run some numbers on it trying to figure out volume of sales. What I thought would be my strategic advantage, not having rent, really boiled down to a volume issue. Let’s say I did $10k volume of sales/year with a 25% markup. I’d only be taking home $2,500 before other misc expenses. That’s probably not worth my time, even if it was $5,000. The hours putting together recipes and the cost of fridges and misc items would eat into that profit pretty quick. There’s a reason the large retailers are successful. They have LOTS of money to spend on advertising and can deal out of warehouses in HIGH volume. Volume is the key to any retail store. Even if you do $100k sales/year at 25% you still only take home $25k of profit which simply isn’t enough in my opinion to justify a store!

I remember you....https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/homebrew-store-in-my-house.669387/#post-8661301

+1 to this.
Also... as the number of sales goes up, so does overhead. Bulk prices can go down, but all the increased operating costs can be overwhelming.
How many orders a day can one person fill? Two people? Hire a part time person to help, now you become HR (no matter what). Say the help gets hurt- do you have insurance? Etc., etc.

UPDATE:

Looking for a place, have some promising contacts. I think everyone is focused on Santa right now.

Looks like the Cornelius location for Alternative Brewing is officially closed. How's your website and FB page coming along?

Looks like the Cornelius location for Alternative Brewing is officially closed. How's your website and FB page coming along?

Website is a little weak right since I don't have much in stock but we are up and running and growing as fast as we can. I received my first shipment 12/30. If its on the website I received it. I didn't order much ingredients just basic equipment for now. Still aggressively looking for a location.

FB is up and running. Again not much to see yet but getting the word out.

The Brew Store of the Carolinas-----Trying to get higher up on googles SEO

We are/were set to open early April and then Covid-19 kicks in. We have our location and growing daily till the news came in. We've been taking orders online and just recently started offering a local pick up option on the website.

We are/were set to open early April and then Covid-19 kicks in. We have our location and growing daily till the news came in. We've been taking orders online and just recently started offering a local pick up option on the website.

I've been wondering how you have been faring. Thanks for the update!

Best of luck to you!
I just got back from my lhbs and they were very busy for a Sunday. Lots of people are staying home and brewing.

Thanks AzOr we are trying to get everything in stock so we can help everyone if it all hits the fan

Best of luck to you!
I just got back from my lhbs and they were very busy for a Sunday. Lots of people are staying home and brewing.

After they go out shopping for brewing supplies, or in my case paint. People are buying supplies in anticipation of being quarantined so much that we are busier than normal......

We try to keep the website up to date daily but it seems like more interaction happens on fb. if you have a minute and are on fb like us "thebrewstoreotc" it seems easier to keep people informed there.

Hope everyone is staying safe

We try to keep the website up to date daily but it seems like more interaction happens on fb. if you have a minute and are on fb like us "thebrewstoreotc" it seems easier to keep people informed there.

Hope everyone is staying safe
I'll try to make it there once the pandemic has come to an end. Hope things are going well!

As you build up inventory, one option may be Carolina Malt House. It seems like people are supporting local business more, and they make their grains right around here. I have no idea what they charge vendors for a sack of grains though, as pricing is all over the place at the other shops.

I'll try to make it there once the pandemic has come to an end. Hope things are going well!

As you build up inventory, one option may be Carolina Malt House. It seems like people are supporting local business more, and they make their grains right around here. I have no idea what they charge vendors for a sack of grains though, as pricing is all over the place at the other shops.

Thanks man I appreciate it. We are filling pickup orders daily. Its been a lot of fun. I have been in touch with Carolina Malt House, excited to keep things local.

I stopped by today for a sack of base malt and some other ingredients. It's great to have a new shop in town - best of luck! I'll be back next time I need some 2-row.

to me customer service is the most important, sales people that love the hobby and know at least some of the process. Nothing worse then going in and trying to strike up some talk about brewing and getting "do you need anything else" or a generic answer.
The longer we stay in the store the more we might buy stuff. I only have 2 lhbs near me and they are both pretty good on both.
Good luck

I stopped by today for a sack of base malt and some other ingredients. It's great to have a new shop in town - best of luck! I'll be back next time I need some 2-row.

Thanks Man, it was great meeting you and talking a bit. We close at 7 so we have less than an hour to go today but its been another good day. You came in at the right time because around 12:30, we had about 7 people in and everyone was doing great with the social distancing. We will have events outside as soon as we get the chance. Ill keep you up to date

Thanks Man, it was great meeting you and talking a bit. We close at 7 so we have less than an hour to go today but its been another good day. You came in at the right time because around 12:30, we had about 7 people in and everyone was doing great with the social distancing. We will have events outside as soon as we get the chance. Ill keep you up to date

Nice to read about satisfied customers and great customer service! More companies here on HBT should follow your lead! Good job!

UPDATE:

As someone who started brewing during quarantine, I was going to say WEBSITE
My "Local" HBS had an awful online store. Someone on here said he wants to call orders in because its so bad.
It feels like a website from '98 and has very broad results when you click on Beer Brewing. No subcategories. Searching "extract" yields over 100 results. Most of it isn't even close to malt.

Anyway... It's the future, unfortunately. Especially when the world goes back to normal and I have to work 60+ hours.

Update:
The store is doing great and we have had a few small events. Our last one featured the BIAB process and we had new and experienced brewers in and out throughout the day. In this area we have about 5 or so different brew clubs, its been fun.

Attachments

• IMG_4080.JPG
    IMG_4080.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4081.JPG
    IMG_4081.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
Back