Let's talk nitro set-ups....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I searched and really couldn't find any superb info on this.

I am going to try to piece together a nitro set-up I think. I already have a stout faucet, and in my research it looks like the only thing I need other than that is beer gas and a regulator.

1) I take it a nitrogen regulator is an entirely different animal than a CO2 regulator?

2) Regarding nitrogen--do you serve AND carbonate with beer gas or carbonate with C02 beforehand and then just serve with the beer gas?

I believe I can get a nitrogen tank from a buddy of mine for fairly cheap, so I'm mainly only on the hook for a regulator. Anyone seen great prices? I'm leaning on going with the one at Northern Brewer.

Before you buy anything, go ask where you're going to fill which tank they support for beer gas. Some places, like PHX (Phoenix Welding Supplies- aka Dye Carbonic supplies most of the beverage gas in PHX) prefer that you use a CO2 tank and regulator.
Being able to use the same tanks and equipment is waaaay less of a hassel than having to drop off your beer gas tank for a fill.

Also this may come into play depending:
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulators/adapter.shtml

I usually undercarb using CO2 and then pop on the beer gas to serve.

I carb and serve on nitro. I use a length of tube with a diff stone on one end and connected to the gas in dip tube. I purge every other day or so for a week to introduce new gas into solution, then let it sit for a week. Works perfectly.

I have a dual stage 175hp nitro setup, and I highly recommend it.

...wait, what?

olllllo said:
Before you buy anything, go ask where you're going to fill which tank they support for beer gas. Some places, like PHX (Phoenix Welding Supplies- aka Dye Carbonic supplies most of the beverage gas in PHX) prefer that you use a CO2 tank and regulator.
Being able to use the same tanks and equipment is waaaay less of a hassel than having to drop off your beer gas tank for a fill.

Also this may come into play depending:
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulators/adapter.shtml

I usually undercarb using CO2 and then pop on the beer gas to serve.

Ahhhhh.....interesting.

This might be cheaper than I imagined. The buddy of mine that I can get the tank from is incidentally the one who'd be filling the tank. They are the area's supplier for beer gas. Looks like I need to go see him. Thanks for the info!

Now that you're in the club, be prepared to answer these questions. :)

Can't wait to have an Iron Orr Irish Stout and a Cornish Pasty at Bratwurst and Shilleleigh's.

The local gas place makes a lot of difference as to what tank/reg you need. Local place here does beer gas but it has to be in a nitrogen tank that's painted black.

So I called the local beer gas supplier, and they will allow me to use a CO2 tank to be filled with beer gas.

SO...is it safe to use a regular CO2 regulator with nitrogen? I know nitro regulators go up to a much higher psi, but I really won't need that, right?

I just want to know I'm doing this safely.

Well, they sell CO2 regulator to nitrogen tank adapters on various beer sites so that implies to me that there isn't anything inherently unsafe about it. Pressures I think can approach 2000psi so make sure the regulator can handle that. Maybe someone else has a more definitive answer though. I think the only thing that makes a "nitrogen regulator" is that it has a 580 valve on it and maybe a slightly higher psi gauge.

Seeing as MicroMatic has a page specifically for high pressure regulators for blended gas setups, you may want to invest in one. CO2 tank pressures are roughly 800 psi at room temperature. N2 tank pressures are nearly double that (it takes more pressure to keep N2 in a liquid state at room temperature). If it were my tank and regulator, I'd be tempted to try it, but I'd probably consult the shop that's filling the tank first. If you really want to keep things on the safe side, here's a link to the MicroMatic page with specialized regulators for beer gas (one of which looks like it should fit a CO2 tank).

Yuri_Rage said:
Seeing as MicroMatic has a page specifically for high pressure regulators for blended gas setups, you may want to invest in one. CO2 tank pressures are roughly 800 psi at room temperature. N2 tank pressures are nearly double that (it takes more pressure to keep N2 in a liquid state at room temperature). If it were my tank and regulator, I'd be tempted to try it, but I'd probably consult the shop that's filling the tank first. If you really want to keep things on the safe side, here's a link to the MicroMatic page with specialized regulators for beer gas (one of which looks like it should fit a CO2 tank).

That link is for their high pressure output models.

"Notes:
Only use in a gas blender or nitrogen generator application! "

The link to the ones you would need to connect to a regular tank is here (unless you have some need to have output pressures higher than 60PSI): http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/regulators-cid-615.html

I have both a CO2 and Nitrogen regulator from Micromatic and would recommend their premium series for only a few bucks more.

Sluggo said:
That link is for their high pressure output models.

"Notes:
Only use in a gas blender or nitrogen generator application! "
You're right. My mistake!

Dude, just ask the experts at the gas shop, they'll be able to help. My gut says your existing regulator will work fine, but don't trust my gut.

Actually it's normally ~70%N2 30%CO2. If you look at the actual regulators they seem to be the same just the connection to the tank is different: CO2
& N2. They have the same model number except the N2 one has a N after 342/342N.

sause said:
Actually it's normally ~70%N2 30%CO2. If you look at the actual regulators they seem to be the same just the connection to the tank is different: CO2
& N2. They have the same model number except the N2 one has a N after 342/342N.

See my edit above. Still would like to know what the tank pressures are. :)

The CO2 and Nitrogen regulators I got from Micromatic are identical except for the pipe thread fittings.

My tank of beer gas was at ~1600psi at 45°F when I first got it from Airgas (I assume it was full...damn well better have been).

Back