Let's Remember Some Beers (In Memoriam: Old IPAs)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I guess we can add "Decocted IPA" to the list style variations I'm to lazy to find.

VNaF9aC.jpg

I found out yesterday that St. Arnold has discontinued Endeavour.

In like 2011 or 12 or whenever it debuted, noone in Texas could make a decent DIPA to save their life. It fundamentally changed the way I tried to drink locally, mostly due to the fact that all the IPA I could source here in 2012 was ****ing garbage. I guess it's not a phenomenal beer, and doesn't fit into today's IPA market at all, but dammit, it mattered to me.

RIP.

In like 2011 or 12 or whenever it debuted, noone in Texas could make a decent DIPA to save their life. It fundamentally changed the way I tried to drink locally, mostly due to the fact that all the IPA I could source here in 2012 was ****ing garbage. I guess it's not a phenomenal beer, and doesn't fit into today's IPA market at all, but dammit, it mattered to me.

RIP.

Lived in Alabama in 2011-2012. This was Good People's Snake Handler 100%.

It still ****s now my dude, I'll take it home from the shop I work at if I want ipa like 9 times out of 10 rather than the mediocre haze cans we carry

Very glad to hear. Always one of my favorite beers, even if it was a little pricey for NC beer prices (~$14/6 pack). My wife's favorite IPA in the area.

RIP.

This beer brings back some fond memories, in addition to being what I thought was a damn good DIPA for the time period (it's been years since I had it). There's a big annual conference in my research field that occurs every late May/early June , and in 2012 it was at the University of Houston. The conference banquet was held at St. Arnold - they gave us a tour, then the big main hall was used for dinner, which the conference had catered by some local bbq place, and St. Arnold gave us free run of the taps. So it was basically all-you-can-eat brisket and sides (I remember there was a particularly killer jalapeno bread) and drink as much as you wanted, which for me ended up being a lot of Endeavour. It was certainly the best conference banquet we ever had, and one of my favorite meals period. People at our various conferences still speak fondly of that night years after the fact, and wish they were all that good.

Besides the banquet, there was a bar right next to campus that we hit up every day, and it had Endeavour on draft. We'd drink a shitload of it then switch over to Lone Star once we were sufficiently wasted.

Last edited:
I remember trading for these cans. Annual release probably 5 years ago. Maybe 6. It was pretty solid and a bit ahead of its time but it got passed by quickly.
GFJ-03-e1404735999711.jpg
Osiris and this were definitely their best offerings early on. And they were very dry compared to most Midwest/East coast pales and ipas. But yes they did get usurped pretty quickly. My brother is raving about Daredevil's offerings lately.

I'm talking about all of it. Like, 1500 is a solid beer but it's nothing to brag about. The miscellaneous hoppy stuff is sometimes good and sometimes bad but usually just fine. They can pull off random styles but there's usually a ceiling of "pretty good". Their BA stuff (sour and otherwise) is occasionally pretty good and mostly mediocre-to-awful (though I may be an outlier on this, they have a similar house style to Ballast Point where it has a ton of acetone to me but no one else gets it). I can't remember the last time I had a beer from them that was actually impressive (though I haven't had the void).

That said, it seems like every other post in this thread is someone praising a beer I thought was garbage so what do I know? We should get Arbitrator in here, compared to him I'm a ****ing easy grader...
After avoiding them for years, I started trying their stuff again in 2017. The Void, BA Drakonic, Death of the Sun, and Santa's Brass have all been surprisingly good. I'd try more given the Dealership is down the block from me but I'm a recluse so not likely. Haven't tried any of their hops lately other than a hazy pale ale that was decent.

After avoiding them for years, I started trying their stuff again in 2017. The Void, BA Drakonic, Death of the Sun, and Santa's Brass have all been surprisingly good. I'd try more given the Dealership is down the block from me but I'm a recluse so not likely. Haven't tried any of their hops lately other than a hazy pale ale that was decent.
Only one of those I've had is Santa's Brass and it was fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Portland just got a shipment of Daisy Cutter. Good ****!

A few weeks ago Half Acre celebrated the 10th anniversary of Daisy Cutter by releasing a commemorative mixed four pack, which included:
  • Daisy Cutter
  • Double Daisy Cutter
  • Fully Saturated (read: hazy/juicy) Galactic Double Daisy Cutter
  • Quad Cutter
JZUzSDc.jpg

After a few years of not having had one, regular Daisy Cutter was my favorite of the lot.

Has anyone mentioned this beer? Is it still even around or good? I got this in my first trade many years ago. Remember really liking it

View attachment 7954
yea someone mentioned it earlier, i was looking for that guy all over dc, wrong timing but would have been a treat! every can i had has been great (5ish years ago)

edit: never mind i guess it hasn’t been brought up yet, crazy i coulda sworn someone mentioned it. i remember trying this guy and it actually loving up to the hype behind it.

Last edited:
When I first got into beer, Karbach Roshambo was the first IPA I ever liked. I tried and tried to like others but this was the first one that did it for me. Been hooked ever since.
KRosh.png

I was working at a liquor store at the time and grabbed the last bottle we had, and after I drank it I learned they discontinued it. It was a dark time.

I distinctly remember the buzz around what was then called Cenotaph*

<snip>

This is off-topic, but remember Hell's Black Intelligencer?

yes, remember having cenotaph at least once at floyds after a friend raved about it.

hell's black intelligencer is arguably the best FFF i've ever had and still makes me sad that they never bottled it, let alone put it back in tap. served in a coffee mug. all the feels.

dunno if anyone cares about this one anymore but i'll **** with it. greatest label ever made.

beer-305362_3510d_hd.jpeg

Damn, I missed this thread.

Firestone Walker Union and Double Jack were both fantastic when super fresh.

Three Floyds and Half Acre collab Anicca was one of the first Mosiac IPAs and was outstanding.

Also, all this Alpine, but no Keene Idea love? For shame.

AA928EDF-A553-4E20-ADA0-B210B2B6F028.jpeg

If we’re talking about hoppy FFF collaborations with great label art, my fav label has to be the original Rye’d Da Lightning. hoppy rye ale with a great citrus/melon punch. Collaboration with Reckless Records for record store day. And way better than the current label of the guy riding a tiger.

Oh man lots of feels in this thread. Here's one that I don't think was mentioned that I remember having around the time I first had Pliny and thinking it held its own:
dry-dock-seven-seas-douple-ipa.jpg

I think there was a trademark dispute and they had to change the name, but it's been a very long time since I've sought it out.

Oh man lots of feels in this thread. Here's one that I don't think was mentioned that I remember having around the time I first had Pliny and thinking it held its own:
dry-dock-seven-seas-douple-ipa.jpg

I think there was a trademark dispute and they had to change the name, but it's been a very long time since I've sought it out.

I wonder if the TM dispute was with Heavy Seas Brewing in Maryland. I seem to recall that they may have (or have had) a similar logo?

Back