Let's help a soldier!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hang Glider

Beer Drinker
Reaction score
Please take a moment to read this thread - here and during your next trip through a big box, jot down some measurements.

Joey needs the floor dimensions, including any compressor humps - he's looking for a 2-kegger that can double as an end-table.

I thought I'd start another thread as I can't edit his title, and his title isn't likely to garner the support we can certainly all give him!

Let's pitch in a little effort for a soldier in Afghanistan!

passedpawn said:
I dunno, why would a soldier in Afghanistan with a month to go be buying a chest freezer?

It appears he just wants it all to be at his place and ready to go when he returns home.

It also appears that he's looking for a minifridge rather than a chest freezer.

Youtube has some great build videos and may be a good resource. They not only show a bunch of brands and builds, but some good tricks also. Just search for mini fridge kegerator and a lot of vids show up. this is a good example:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnKJ8cHcuKg]Converting a Magic Chef 4.4 cubic feet mini fridge into a KEGERATOR! - YouTube[/ame]

It appears he just wants it all to be at his place and ready to go when he returns home.

It also appears that he's looking for a minifridge rather than a chest freezer.

Thats something you do while your deployed, you think about all the things you want to do when you get home, things you've been away from and miss doing. Thats what I did at least. Nothing like coming home to things to distract/keep you busy after a rough tour.

I just came across this post, thank you Hang Glider for trying to help so much. The idea of using a chest freezer is also an option. The only thing I'm worried about in that situation is the amount of noise it might make. Like I had stated in the post that I created I will be moving into a studio where space is pretty limited when I return. So this unit will also double as an end table sitting right beside my couch. I've never owned a chest freezer so I'm not sure how much noise they make now days, but the one that my parents had when I was growing up got pretty loud when the compressor was running. If you guys feel that would be a viable option given these circumstances then I'm all for it! Thank you all for the help!

They are much quieter these days, much more like today's refrigerators. However, they're a bit tall for an end-table.

Could you arrange the furniture so it's a "back of the sofa" table? (might put taps in risky position).

11.25 x 2 = 22.5" required "floor" space in any one dimension, including the compressor hump. Even the smallest chest freezer (5 sq ft) won't be possible with an 11 inch diameter keg unless you set one on the hump and have a tall collar.

see image - circles are 8.5" and 11" inside a 5cu ft freezer with the hump ...
5cuftfreezer.gif

inside the first post of this thread -
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keezer-freezer-kegerator-inside-dimension-database-162317/ is a link to a "database" that you can zoom into and see different chest freezer dimensions.

too bad one doesn't exist (that I know of) for smaller fridges.

Honestly this is probably the route that I'm going to end up going. If I could fit 2 in there without a collar I would be golden, but if I need the collar then I might have to sell my desk and get one of those very small laptop desks just for my computer to set on. Homework can always be done on the coffee table or on one of those things that sits on your lap haha The beer is much more important, especially considering I can't remember a time that I actually sat at my desk with my books to do home work.

inside the first post of this thread -
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keezer-freezer-kegerator-inside-dimension-database-162317/ is a link to a "database" that you can zoom into and see different chest freezer dimensions.

too bad one doesn't exist (that I know of) for smaller fridges.

I'm unable to get the link to the google document to open. I'm not sure if it is the internet filter being used on our network or if it isn't being hosted anymore. I'm trying to avoid making a collar since I don't really have a work space or all of the tools to make one properly. If I went for a 7.x Cu Ft. chest freezer do you think I would be able to avoid that? I'm looking at this one GE® Chest Freezer - 7 cu. ft. - Sam's Club
I'm assuming that it is comparable to the one shown in the sizing your ches freezer thread- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizing-your-chest-freezer-corny-kegs-75449/
but you really never know how much things change over the different generations of a product. I wish I could get that document to open so I could check this for myself, but it just won't open. Thanks for all of the help so far and the help coming in the future!

I have GE and it's 28 inches deep and holds 4 cornies , mostly use this as fermentation area but would work fine with a 2 head tower. They use the same compressor as the fridges so noise will be about the same.......Remember you will still need a temp control, stay safe hope your home soon.

yes, you can fit 4 cornelius kegs into many 7cu ft, usually setting one on the collar. The GE you can jam them in at floor level, but it's a very tight fit, However the larger 11" commercial kegs will be tougher - only two will fit.

Circles are 8/5" and 11"

7cuft.gif

Thank you Hang Glider! In the database does it happen to mention how much height I'll have to work with without a collar. This is the route that I'm planning on going and right now I'm pricing the components. I'm not sure if I can use just the normal Sanke Couplers or if I will need to get the low profile ones. Thanks again for all of your help!

Latest posts

Back