Let The Smoked Cider Experiment Begin!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

thedrunkdutchman

Reaction score
I've been playing with this idea for a while but hade no smoker to try it with. Then I recently lucked into a fairly inexpensive electric pellet smoker/grill. So for this experiment I used oak pellets, and had the had the grill set to smoke (the lowest setting). The juice was just 6 quarts of Walmart brand juice(nothing fancy yet, just wanted to see if this will work). Frozen in two 3 quart ice blocks. I let the blocks set in the smoker for about 1.5-2 hours, until there was only 2 pucks of ice floating on top. I tossed the ice pucks and had 5 quarts of juice left, so I'm sure fractional freezing boosted the og some. The juice smelled like smoke but it wasn't very prominent in the taste. I was running out of time before I had to go to a homebrew club meeting, so I poured it into a 5 quart icecream bucket and stuck it back into the freezer till this weekend when I have time to get it started. I'm considering fractional freezing it slightly more, so as to get an even gallon since that's the size of fermenter I have.🤷‍♂️ I will update this as I go.
20220125_152710.jpg

P.s. I'm also planning on trying a gallon of Walmart brand pear

Last edited:

doublejef

Reaction score
Nice one.
Wild fermentation often give some smoked aroma too, it's not my favorite but it could for sure be enjoyed by some people.