Let beer cool overnight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerloict

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to know if I am doing a 50/50 partial boil and complete with cold water, can I close my fermenter right away and let the beer cool overnight?

I would put the yeast the next day.

Thank you

Yes you can. It’s referred to as the no chill method.
Just make sure everything is sanitized good and you’ll be ok.
If you don’t want to wait I used to top off with super cold water and then fill my sink with ice and put my kettle in the sink.
It would get me to pitching temps in under an hour.

Now that the temps are coming down in our area, overnight is a great option. I just used this method for a lager Im making now.

FWIW, perhaps the following is helpful? I will state up front, IMO, in general. brulosophy has their head up their as*es.

http://brulosophy.com/2020/02/27/co...-chilling-in-an-ipa-the-bru-club-xbmt-series/
I do not believe the following is an "old wives tale". Following is from Cooling & Transferring Wort - The Brew Hut

"After the brewing has been completed, the wort needs to be cooled quickly. The rapid cooling helps coagulate some long protein chains that can later cause haze and off flavors in your beer. Once the yeast starts fermenting, it will protect the beer, so you want to cool the wort down as fast as possible so that you can pitch (add) the yeast as soon as possible. "

I've done no chill many times without issues, but I've only use that method when overnight temps are close to freezing or below freezing.

Back