Lesser of 2 evils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iron_city_ap

Reaction score
This past Thursday, I brewed Brandon O's Graff recipe. Yesterday, I had to leave home for a work trip and won't be home until Tuesday evening. Talking to my wife earlier, she said it was close to 90 outside and is supposed to be just as hot tomorrow. That's when it hit me..... my graff was sitting in my closet, which tends to get hot when its hot outside. When I left, it was in the upper 60s out and I didn't think it would get as hot out as it did. Needless to say, we also don't have our air conditioning units put in the windows yet. I told her when she got home to make sure the closet door was at least opened up.

So my big dilemma is 'should I leave it as is and risk the esters (I pitched with Nottingham) or have her try to move it into the bathtub and risk aeration/spillage/+ any esters already produced?' I'm leaning towards leaving it as is because it seems to minimize the risks for bad things. Also, when I left yesterday, I didn't have any visible bubbling yet, so I don't know if the slow start to the fermentation would make it better or worse to risk moving it. If I was at home, I could move it without aerating it, no problem. My wife is a different story though. Same with her putting in the A/C unit for that room. I'm pretty sure its up high on a storage shelf, which she wouldn't be able to put it in on her own. Help from my neighbors is out, and our friends are out of town on vacation.

Whatever I did, Karma, I'm sorry.

Needless to say, when I get home one of the first things I'm doing is picking up the plastic tub so I can use an ice bath to keep anything like this from happening again.

I should be finding out shortly what temperature the thermometer on the fermenter is showing. When I know, I'll post it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Just talked to SWMBO and she said the sticky thermometer is pegged at 82 and its bubbling along steady. Its bubbling very steadily (2-3 bubbles/second) so I'm now thinking that the head space is mostly CO2 by now. She is already planning on putting one of the AC units in the bedroom and offered to gently slide the fermenter (with something designed for sliding furniture on under it) into the bedroom where it will soon be cool and dark.

I'd still like to hear opinions if this is good or not before it all goes down.

id put it in there before it gets too cool in there so it can adjust. not too big a deal just to keep the yeasties from gettin stressed

Thanks. That makes me feel better. I hate feeling helpless in this situation. I seem to learn a lesson with every batch. Lesson learned on this one for sure. If I was home, it wouldn't have been an issue.

Back