Less Expensive Can Seamer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne1

Reaction score
Williams Brewing now offers the Cannular can seamer.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Cannular-Canning-Machine-P3361.aspx?afid=14

For $469.00 plus $50.00 for the power supply.

This is quite a bit less than the Oktober SL-1 for $870.00.

16 oz cans and lids are available for $120.00 for 207 cans.

X46.JPG

I'd be extremely interested once someone does a proper review. The Oktober SL-1 is well tested and works great, so i'd love to see some positive reviews behind this before pulling the trigger!

Also, whats the purpose of making a power supply optional if its required for operation? Thats the dumbest thing ever hah

Out of stock now but looks like the price went up to $499 for the canner and 69 for the power supply.

Got this in last week and canned up a case. Overall, it worked flawlessly out of the box, seems to be solidly built and was super easy to use. Time will tell though.

Process took some getting used to, as seen with all, “how to” canning vids. Took about 6 times to get the hang of the motions. After, it went really smoothly.

upload_2019-6-17_21-42-10.jpeg

It only takes “Can Fresh” cans, which cost 3-4 times what other cans cost. It says in the video that someone could make the does on a lathe.

I'd looked at this, and when I learned it takes proprietary cans, I lost interest. That's why it's cheaper, I'll bet: like giving people the razor for free, and selling the blades.

Currently it's $99 for 207 cans and lids. Flat rate is $6.99 which isn't all that bad for a bulky shipment. That's about 51.6 cents per can, including shipping. That's approaching how much the beer costs!

And you're locked into using their cans, meaning you're subject to price increases w/o any alternative, and availability.

When they get one that can use 12 and 16.9 ounce cans, and from multiple manufacturers, I'll be all over this thing.

They've got 11.5 oz cans...
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/12-ounce-Black-Aluminum-Cans-Lids-case-of-300-P4763.aspx

Repeat business is the name of the game in retailing, if you come back and order more cans maybe you'll buy something else. Another supplier for the cans might appear eventually, but I doubt it.

Oh, I'm not being critical of their business model. After all, give away the razor, sell the blades. That's what they're doing.

I just don't have to stick my neck through a noose that ties me to a specific supplier that controls not only supply but the price as well.

If you click the link for the 11.5 oz cans, you'll see they're out of stock until August 11. So if you saw that, where else would you go to buy the cans you need right now?

It only takes “Can Fresh” cans, which cost 3-4 times what other cans cost. It says in the video that someone could make the does on a lathe.

I figured there was a catch. Hopefully, this will at least get Oktoberdesign to drop the price on the SL1.

Where are you finding cans in case quantities for that? Would be great. Also as long as the top is the same as you said the cam on the bottom could be shimmed for whatever size cans. I have the all American can seamer so I can do other stuff at home (fish etc) but this is a very compelling proposition.

I will be getting one and maybe kick the idea to Bobby_M or Jaybird to see if they have a machinist connection to make a cam/plate for this. I don’t have space to store 2500 cans so 100 bucks for cans is a deal.

So, $520 plus shipping (I assume) which is still very steep, it uses proprietary cans, and they can't supply the cans now???? I don't think so. And if they don't make a go of it and no one else supplies the cans you have a $500 anchor........

I am not trying to convince anyone I am just laying out my logic. It makes sense for me not you and that’s fine. I know I could make a bottom plate with a 3d printer and I could get a top maid by any machinist with a lathe. I am not sure regular cans don’t work on it but they call out can fresh as cans that do work.

Although it comes set up to use fresh cans, the bottom chuck is vertically adjustable. So long as the width of the can is the same, you are free to adjust height, as well as the rollers.

As for can prices, my last box of 207 cans I got from morebeer for $85 with free shipping, or 0.42 a can. Regular cans from Oktober would be 0.62 a can shipped to me.

That's too much work for me kegging, then canning. I think you can prime in can iirc. I cant wait to get one some day.

What size grog tags are those? Was about to order the landscape volo‘s

As far as I can tell the “can fresh” cans are commercial cans. I can’t find a difference even with calipers. Anyone want to send me a couple of cans from a different system to see if they work?

As far as I can tell the “can fresh” cans are commercial cans. I can’t find a difference even with calipers. Anyone want to send me a couple of cans from a different system to see if they work?

That would be great if it worked. You can also just put a store can in there just to see how close it fits.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but the difference is the hight and volume. 500ml is 16.9oz.

64573808_10217915679458100_7833579821698383872_o.jpg

Sorry I wasn’t clear. If some one has a different source for cans, I could see if it fits. I don’t have any commercial beers in 16.9 to see if they fit.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. If some one has a different source for cans, I could see if it fits. I don’t have any commercial beers in 16.9 to see if they fit.

Regular 16oz cans are too short. You'd need to adjust the bottom chuck in oder for them to reach the top rollers.

Just saw this counter pressure can filler on another site

f4fbd0cddd56e659bec5eb5a6bda100d.jpg

It looks to be a prototype from KegKing of Australia to be used with forward sealing faucets.
I would love to find out more information about it.

Just saw this counter pressure can filler on another site

f4fbd0cddd56e659bec5eb5a6bda100d.jpg

It looks to be a prototype from KegKing of Australia to be used with forward sealing faucets.
I would love to find out more information about it.

Okaaaay, but how do you seal the can though? And even with the counter pressure piece, the trick would be, being able to apply enough pressure to seal it enough based on the back pressure without squishing an empty aluminum can.

You will still need a can seamer, like the Cannular.
I just heard from KegKing:

We're looking into the filler accessory for the Tapcooler counter pressure bottle filler that turns it into a counter pressure can filler. It has a transparent can seal so users can watch the filling through the seal. There's A clamp handling the force from the large can opening, about 20 kg with one bar pressure. A great companion to any can sealer.
We are looking at, earliest, middle of September for having some.

Here is some more information from Tapcooler:

It's a can filler accessory to our counter pressure bottle filler, see https://tapcooler.com/en/accessorie...e-filler-for-vent-matic-perlick-intertap-p-16.
We got a request for a can seal for the bottle filler on the Norwegian home brewers forum, so we have made the seal and a stand with a quick clamp. The force on the 52 mm can seal makes hand-held counter pressure filling difficult, so the clamping solution is a must. It will also include a table clamp for the stand. The can filler accessory will be available in the middle of September. We will post information about the product on our site in a few days.

The liquid connection for the counter pressure filling is either a push in for Perlick/Intertap/Ultratap or a threaded connector for Intertap. We are also making a ball lock keg connector with a valve.

The CO2 connection is by a 3/16” push-fit connector, through a barb adaptor for 4-7 mm ID tubes or by the optional ball lock adaptor (which was also made on request from Norwegian home brewers).

Distribution in Australia and NZ is through Keg King. North America is currently served from Norway, but this is subject to change.

You will still need a can seamer, like the Cannular.
I just heard from KegKing:

We're looking into the filler accessory for the Tapcooler counter pressure bottle filler that turns it into a counter pressure can filler. It has a transparent can seal so users can watch the filling through the seal. There's A clamp handling the force from the large can opening, about 20 kg with one bar pressure. A great companion to any can sealer.
We are looking at, earliest, middle of September for having some.

I feel like I don't understand the need though. You just don't have the same foaming issues with cans as you do with bottles due to the bottleneck shape vs a wide opening. I was using a couple of cheap bottling wands pretty effectively, one for co2 and the other for filling. I recently moved to a beergun which rocks, along w/ the cannular. And they actually recommend canning on foam to help with O2.

Even if it's just an accessory for those who already own their bottle filler, I feel like you'd be perfectly fine just turning down the co2 and using the wand without this pressure lid.

I'd love a canner but it just seems so expensive compared to bottling. Hopefully in the future the cans can get down to a more reasonable price. I just can't bring myself to paying more for the container holding the beer than the actual beer itself. Especially since you can't reused them. Not hating just wishing it wasn't such a expensive upgrade. Cheers

I'd love a canner but it just seems so expensive compared to bottling. Hopefully in the future the cans can get down to a more reasonable price. I just can't bring myself to paying more for the container holding the beer than the actual beer itself. Especially since you can't reused them. Not hating just wishing it wasn't such a expensive upgrade. Cheers

Although I agree with you, once the cannular came stateside, our little beer group went ahead and pulled the trigger. It was easier for us to justify the cost when we spread it out. We found the convenience really outweighs the added $0.42 per can cost. And since we were coming from 32oz growlers, it made sharing with friends as easy(if not easier) as bottles too. We've really enjoyed it so far.

Has anyone else had a hard time setting up the cannular can seamer? Mine was nowhere near correct when I received it. It was almost like the dies were setup opposite out of the box (operation 1 setup with operation 2 gaps and vice versa). It super hard to get a feeler gauge in the y gaps, so I 3d printed custom feeler gauges and was able to successfully seal cans, but still one out of 3 or so still has minor leaks. I've cut the cans to verify I have what appears to be the proper overlap and measured the outside with calipers according to the documentation. Super frustrating to spend $500 dollars and only have 60% success rate on the can sealing. At this point I'm not sure if it's a gap problem (seem correct per the manual) or too little or too much pressure applied on the manual operations. At this point I wish I would have spent $1000 on the oktober sl1. Still hoping I get it all dialed in

Regular 16oz cans are too short. You'd need to adjust the bottom chuck in oder for them to reach the top rollers.

I'm almost 100% certain that the top of the cans are standard and that cans from other sources (i.e. ebay) will work with the chuck on the cannular. There should be enough adjustment in the bottom chuck to accommodate regular 16 ounce cans. I think the comment in the video overview regarding a lathe was focused on the spacer for the bottom chuck. Williams brewing sells the spacer for 12 ounce cans as well.

I also think I may have finally got my machine dialed. I did a few water cans after adjusting with feeler gauges again. 2 out of 3 cans leaked. Then I measured the seam thickness with some calipers and they were around 1.4mm. I put them back in the machine and applied a little more pressure during operation 2 and all 3 cans are sealed up perfect. Hopefully it was all related to not enough pressure during operation 2.

Back