Lent....what have I done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Toy

Reaction score
So the old lady and I have decided to kick booze for Lent this year. We are leaving on a trip to the British Virgin Islands on the 1st of April for 10 days so that's the deadline. NO. BEER. UNTIL.THEN. :(

Good news is that I will probably lose 20 pounds and gain 20 gallons of beer in the keezer. Gonna pull off my first brew tomorrow without drinking. With me luck...

I contemplated it but cant pull the trigger. I have little to really give up (eat clean, dont really eat out, only drink on weekends, etc). You dont always have to give up something necessarily, but do something that makes you a better person. So I decided I would (try) to be nice to people...

Good luck on your venture. Enjoy yourself and have a good time. Its only 40 days....

Good for you Rock. I considered giving up beer, but wimped out. I did give up ice cream. In the past I've given up doughnuts, chocolate or other luxuries. My wife gives up drinking every Lent, but never makes it all the way through without a couple of lapses. Good thing too, as we met in a bar during Lent 11 years ago.
Nat, I like your idea too. Last year I "gave up" Sunday mornings by going back to church. I continued that, so I couldn't do the same this year. I've pretty much contained my anger and impatience, but I love the idea of doing something positive in place of giving something up.

Wow good for you Rock.
I've already given up sugar due to pre-diabetes and salt due to high blood pressure so the only thing left I have to give is alcohol and sex. Already know I don't have the will power for that. I was not raised in a religious house but do understand the importance of it. I bow to those who are successful in their sacrifice in the name of religion......

Just got through a brew day successfully. Belgian Tripel is bubbling away already in the brewery. 3 hours after I filled the fermenter. Had a super healthy starter going and it apparently paid off. So far :rockin:

Rock I am right there with you.

I may re visit this thread through the 40 days to see how we are both doing.

I'm not catholic and am not super religious. not entirely sure why I'm doing it. There's just some strong conviction in me to See it through

This has been tough, i too had a brew day the day after I started my abstinence. I also have an irish red freshly carbed in the kegorator. Haven't tried it yet.

And my best friend (electrician) just came this weekend to install 240 service in my garage so i can start going all grain Electric biab

So to thank him i let him go to town on my beer fridge and took him out to my favorite irish pub. Then to a new bar next door. All the while not drinking a drop.

It was a nice bar so Of course I chatted up the bartender about their selection. He eventually brought me a can of anderson valley blood orange gose to try and I had to say no thanks and explain Why.

Lol tonight was ROUGH. my wife liked the gose though haha

Good luck Rock

I am Catholic, but I think that this tradition has a value outside religion. I believe that occasionally practicing self discipline for it's own sake is healthy. Certainly many people give up something that might not be very nutritional in the first place.

I gave up alcohol for twenty five years.From 1976 til 2001. Been making up for that mistake for 14 years now. Should be caught up pretty soon.

I don't really do lent. Thought about it again this year, just to amuse myself.

I'm cutting back on sugars and carbs, but just for my physical well being, not due to religion.

This weekend I had some homebrew Pale Ale, some Bells Winter White, a Belgian Wit, a White IPA...

I don't do lent either, if I did I would give up something silly and would just be cheating anyway. I did however for no reason other than I was getting tired of it, give up breads as of January 1st. After packing a simple lunch every day for over a year now which usually consisted of a sandwich and fruit I just got sick of it I think. I cut out all breads and pasta. Nothing else changed in my diet or exercise and I've lost almost 10 pounds. I don't even care about the weight, that is not why I did it. It just feels good.

Good luck on your journey. At least there is a pretty awesome reward at the end.

How you guys doing? Still sober? I also gave up beer for lent and it's not been as bad as I thought, besides the ribbing I get from, well, everyone.

Was tough being the only sober O'Brien yesterday though...

I am Catholic, but I think that this tradition has a value outside religion. I believe that occasionally practicing self discipline for it's own sake is healthy. Certainly many people give up something that might not be very nutritional in the first place.
Like John, another Catholic here but I find the need to give up something not always helpful. I was taught sacrificing is good for the body and soul but so is doing something to help others such as visiting the elderly (hey, I'm not too very far away from that age!), working with a charity, helping a shelter, donating food to a family or families and on and on and on it goes.
I have tried to reduce my beer intake a bit but I'm not hooked nor do I need it so giving it up wouldn't be the worst thing in my life (like giving up crawfish).
I believe Lent is the time to stop being selfish and give of yourself and you while you don't need to belong to a religion to do that, I think it's good that Catholics practice this.

So far, so good. Slowly filling the Keezer. 15 gallons in it right now and brewing a stout tomorrow. Should have a ton of beer ready to pour in the middle of next month.

One year my dad gave up chewing... He said year after year he was going to do it, but one year he finally committed. He has chewed for over 35 years. At the time I was still in construction and going to college, and he was our Super. He's the kind of prick that would have you dig a hole just to fill it if he was pissed at you. Made it two weeks before my foreman and I told him if he didnt give up, we would hold him down and make him take a pinch.

Still going strong. It hasnt been hard at all though. I actually feel a little guilty. Like i should have chosen something that was more difficult. I will say I'm pretty excited about the 3 full kegs i will have ready for drankin once lent is over.

I will add that to my list of reasons to eschew religion.

Lord Shiva likes to smoke weed.

YyXKn.png

Gave up Fridays during lent. I volunteer at my church to help cook gumbo on Fridays. We cook for about 700 and give the proceeds to the food bank.

Well, I'm over half way through and it's not as bad as you all think. I actually do this just about every year and it's a great way to relearn my appreciation for beer :) I now have close to 20 gallons in the keezer and have actually been craving a Belgian more than anything, which is funny considering I normally drink IPA's.

A little over a week and then I'm ready to have my first drink. Leaving for the British Virgin Islands on the 31st and plan on having my first drink at the airport on the way out.

I dont feel my Lent has been as challenging this year, or maybe Im not adhering as well. I decided to be more nice to people, which I have since the majority of people Im a dick to are some co-workers. I feel with at least one of them, still given their lack of knowledge, I have done a complete 180 though. I did save someone's life, but that is part of my job and moral compass. But it still doesnt feel like Ive stressed myself on the matter per say.

I guess even if its to a few people, no matter how minute, it still betters me as a whole. We will see

Just saw this thread, this year for lent I gave up meat on all days but Fridays, lots of fish, fresh veggies at first it was tough, but now it's not bad! And I've shed a few pounds by eating healthier.

Back