length of time for a liquid yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
My first go with a liquid yeast. My new stir starter plate is ready and waiting for my yeast to come in soon. I will build my WLP029 liquid yeast culture with Fast Pitch in a 2 liter flask. My ambient room temp is 68 F. In preparation for a direct pitch into my Kolsch wort, what lead time do I need to allow for the yeast culture to be ready?

I'd say 2 days before brew day.

For a typically 1 L starter I just pitch it into 1 liter, let the starter go for 24 hours, then stick it in the fridge to cold crash for 24 hours, decant off the spent wort and pitch on brew day.

2 - 3 days is usually good. 1 day in a pinch, but the yeast probably won't drop, so you'd want to pitch the whole starter.

I make mine on Monday usually if brewing on Saturday or Sunday.

WLP029 is not very flocculant so will need longer to settle while cold if you plan on decanting off the starter beer.

I usually do 24 hours for each part of the process. I let it spin on the stir plate for 24 hours, then let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours to fall out. If I am stepping the starter - repeat, if not I usually give it a couple hours on the stir plate after decanting before I pitch.

I make mine on Monday usually if brewing on Saturday or Sunday.

WLP029 is not very flocculant so will need longer to settle while cold if you plan on decanting off the starter beer.

My plans are to use Fast Pitch, a stir plate and WLP029. Since I am going to have less than one liter of starter culture to pitch in a 5 gallon Kolsch wort, is it ok to take the entire starter and pitch it direct off the stir plate?

My plans are to use Fast Pitch, a stir plate and WLP029. Since I am going to have less than one liter of starter culture to pitch in a 5 gallon Kolsch wort, is it ok to take the entire starter and pitch it direct off the stir plate?

With less than 1L, not a problem at all. Day before make the starter and pitch it straight off the stirplate (dont forget to snag that stir bar:))

Yes, and in that case, 12 to 24 hours is thought to be plenty of time. I normally do about 24 if I'm pitching the whole starter.

I read that Fast Pitch is neutral and (hopefully) won't impart any flavor into the wort eliminating the need to decant the spent beer. If I am thinking correctly, pitching the entire starter will be easier since the starter will be at room temp directly off the stir plate. Not that I am looking for easier, just that liquid yeast is all new to me.

With less than 1L, not a problem at all. Day before make the starter and pitch it straight off the stirplate (dont forget to snag that stir bar:))

LOL! I have "practiced" with the keeper magnet holding the stir bar in place. My StirStarter stir plate is pretty neat and I put one liter of water in my two liter flask to test the vortex. It really gets the job done, and I understand that all I really need is a vortex dimple...not a vortex all the way to the bottom which it easily does. Now, I am waiting for my yeast to come in on the ice pack. This is my next step up in brewing!!

I understand that all I really need is a vortex dimple...not a vortex all the way to the bottom

Something to explore. I run my stir-plate at full bore.

With the starter size you have it really won't matter though. The limiting factor of minimal food will outweigh any stirring speed issues. Your dimple will be adequate for sure.

I read that Fast Pitch is neutral and (hopefully) won't impart any flavor into the wort eliminating the need to decant the spent beer. If I am thinking correctly, pitching the entire starter will be easier since the starter will be at room temp directly off the stir plate. Not that I am looking for easier, just that liquid yeast is all new to me.

If I'm doing a liter or less, I prefer pitching the whole thing after no more than a day on the stirplate because the yeast is still awake and I get a quick, vigorous start to fermentation.

Hi all,
I will be brewing a Rogue Mocha Porter knockoff with WLP051 next week and have ordered a stirplate. The youtube video I saw showed the guy boiling and cooling 2 cups water to 1/2 cup DME before adding the yeast.
Do you folks recommend doing it this way? If so, would you subtract the 1/2 cup of DME from the wort?
Thanks

This.

You don't need a starter before you brew. After brewing, take some wort out of your fermenter to use as a starter, pitch your yeast into the starter and leave it on the stir plate for 4 hours, then pitch the whole thing into your fermenter.
Fermentation takes off like a rocket.

The benefit of this is that the starter is the same as the beer, and the yeast are active and awake when they are pitched into the fermenter.

This.

You don't need a starter before you brew. After brewing, take some wort out of your fermenter to use as a starter, pitch your yeast into the starter and leave it on the stir plate for 4 hours, then pitch the whole thing into your fermenter.

The benefit of this is that the starter is the same as the beer, and the yeast are active and awake when they are pitched into the fermenter.

Very interesting tactic. Never thought of doing that. Thanks for the idea.

Worth a read.

This.

I'm new, so what do I know, but I would be nervous about having my wart at risk that long and would worry about pitching in a sample of that same wart.

I have started my yeast in a mild (1.040 og) starter to help it get a healthy start. Using a high OG wart could stress the yeast, causing it to struggle to get good growth out of the gate.

Worth a read.
I'm new, so what do I know, but I would be nervous about having my wart at risk that long and would worry about pitching in a sample of that same wart.

I have started my yeast in a mild (1.040 og) starter to help it get a healthy start. Using a high OG wart could stress the yeast, causing it to struggle to get good growth out of the gate.

There's no problem with leaving wort for a few hours before pitching (as long as it has a lid and sanitation/cleaning practices are good). I often leave my lagers overnight in the fridge to cool down before pitching.

I agree with you with the gravity comment - I'd be reluctant to use the 'vitality starter' method for a high-gravity beer (nearly all of mine are 1.040 to 1.050).

Back