Lemon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I am looking for a recipe to brew a lemon beer for the summer. I don't want a wheat beer, more of an American Ale. Does anyone know of a good extract recipe/kit with lemon zest or similar?

You could try the skeeter pee recipe. Not a beer but pretty good and super cheap. Seems to be the only thing I brew that my friends will regularily guzzle down by the carboy.

Lemon itself can be very hard to ferment, maybe it's the acid content or lack of nutrients. That skeeter pee I'd mentioned calls for starting with a yeast slurry to get it going and all my attempts to start without produced that rotten egg smell. I don't see any reason you couldn't add some lemon to a regular beer recipe after fermentation or perhaps lemon grass for a touch of lemon without causing problems in fermentation.

Best of luck this sounds like an interesting idea.

Maybe zest some lemons and put it in vodka for a few days and add that at bottling.

Try sorachi ace hops. I did a beer with it and it came out like a summer shandy. I used no lemon.

I might have to check into those. I made a brew not too long ago with lemon drop hops and I don't notice much lemon.

Latest posts

Back