leftovers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mboardman

Reaction score
Ive got about 5 lbs of flaked wheat and 7 lbs of German Pale wheat (white I think) by Weyerman. I also have 1 lb each of victory, munich malts, as well as maybe 1/2 lb of carapils. Would combining all these ingredients make a good wheat beer?

A wheat beer with 80-90% wheat content? Not impossible, but you'll need to use at least a pound (possibly 2 pounds) of rice hulls to make it permeable and lauterable enough. Even if you BIAB. Stir thoroughly, but lautering will still be slooow. Sparge well, but don't overdo it.

Definitely use a protein rest, and most likely a beta-glucan rest too due to the large % of raw flaked wheat. Although you could combine the 2 rests for 15' at 131F, you're better off separating them 'cause each is most optimal at different temps and times.

I've brewed Belgian Wit beers with 60% flaked wheat and they were yummy! I'be used WY3944. WLP400 is similar. There are others.

I think you may need to enzyme added, at least some amylase added into the mash. I'm not an expert, but I don't know if the wheat and victory and munich will have enough to convert the sugars. Perhaps someone with more expertise can comment. :mug:

I think you may need to enzyme added, at least some amylase added into the mash. I'm not an expert, but I don't know if the wheat and victory and munich will have enough to convert the sugars. Perhaps someone with more expertise can comment. :mug:
German Pale wheat
This is wheat malt, right, not raw wheat? Plain pale (lightly kilned) wheat malt has a very sizeable Diastatic Power (DP), usually around 150-180 °Lintner, higher than barley.

The lighter kilned varieties of Munich (e.g., Munich I, Barke, Bonlander) have at least enough DP to convert itself, possibly more.
Victory has no DP, it's a biscuit (specialty) malt.

This is wheat malt, right, not raw wheat? Plain pale (lightly kilned) wheat malt has a very sizeable Diastatic Power (DP), usually around 150-180 °Lintner, higher than barley.

The lighter kilned varieties of Munich (e.g., Munich I, Barke, Bonlander) have at least enough DP to convert itself, possibly more.
Victory has no DP, it's a biscuit (specialty) malt.
That is good to know, thanks for the info. :mug:

Cool, thanks! I think Im going to use the following:

4 lbs flaked wheat, 4 lb german pale wheat, 1 lb munich, 4 lb german pilsner, and 1lb rice hulls. Rest and gradual long climb to 150F, then wlp300, cause I have it.

Back