Leftover Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushizell

Reaction score
So I've decided to use up some of my extra grains I have laying around. This is gonna be my first ever Partial Grain (even tho I'm not using any basemalts) and my first ever Porter. According to beersmith, my recipe seems sound enough, I was just curious if anyone had any pointers on replacing grains to be more true to style etc. Or just any general pointers on moving from Extract with Steeping Grains to Partial/Mini Mash! Thanks in advance
Screenshot_20180217-193359.png

If you don't have base malt in the mini mash it won't convert properly. You then have steeping grains and extract.

What size batch is this for? If 5 gallons I hope there is more that was cut off the bottom. If not you don't have nearly enough extract.

Sorry, I should have specified that it's going to be a 2.5gal batch. I was concerned that this might be to many specialty grains, even with the longer steep time and using more water to spare with. Perhaps I'll save my first partial mash for another weekend.

You still need some base grains to do a partial mash. This is just a standard extract with steeping grains and not enough extract. Unless it is down below where the screen cuts off.

You still need some base grains to do a partial mash. This is just a standard extract with steeping grains and not enough extract. Unless it is down below where the screen cuts off.
The only ingredient that got cut was the yeast. I typically use closer to 8oz, up to a pound of specialty grain in my extract batches. When I switched from Extract to partial mash option in Beersmith its said I was still getting more sugars than just an extract batch, but I was hesitant since I knew I had no base malts. I'll reformulate the recipe and buy another pound or 2 of extract! Any particular tips on specialty grain for this style? Keep both Roasted and black patent? Which caramel malt would be best for Porter? I also have a pound of 10L unopened btw.

Are you still planning to do this as a partial mash? If so, forget the extra extract and get a pound or two of a base malt grain, such as 2-row. You need that base malt grain to provide the necessary enzymes to convert those specialty grains. That's the trouble with working up a partial mash recipe--it's easy to leave out a base that can convert the rest of the grain bill. If you're just using extract (provides no enzymes), and the rest is specialty grains, then what you end up with is an extract brew with steeping grains.

Are you still planning to do this as a partial mash? If so, forget the extra extract and get a pound or two of a base malt grain, such as 2-row. You need that base malt grain to provide the necessary enzymes to convert those specialty grains. That's the trouble with working up a partial mash recipe--it's easy to leave out a base that can convert the rest of the grain bill. If you're just using extract (provides no enzymes), and the rest is specialty grains, then what you end up with is an extract brew with steeping grains.
I suppose if I'm going to go to my LHBS anyway, I should just get some 2-row and try my first partial mash instead of more extract. What's a good guide for how many pounds of grain my mini mash should be compared to total batch size? I'm thinking somewhere between 2-2.5lbs and 2lbs (or 1lb14.4oz in this case lol) of extract for my 2.5gL batch.

You just need some standard 2 row base grain to add the enzymes needed to convert the crystal and roasted grains.

How much I am not certain. I have only messed around with extract and Partial mash in Beersmith a couple of times. It is not as clear on what is required as it seems it should be.

I like to keep my recipes somewhat simple so I might drop one of the crystals. Probably the 60l. But it doesn't look bad as is, except for the base grain. You could do it as extract with steeping grains.

Thanks for the feedback. I've mostly made IPAs and lighter pales, but I have a few extra grains from doing clones of Celebration Ale and an Irish Red. I figured I'd give a creamy/toffee porter a try. I can't wait to see what turns out!

American 2-row has a diastatic power of about 140L (L = Lintner, the diastatic power of the malt). You need an average of about 30-40L diastatic power per pound in the mash. Your specialty grains have 0. So, for example, if you have 2 lbs of specialty grains, then there is a total of 3 lbs grain (2-row + the specialty). The sum total of Lintner of all the grain = 140.

140/3 = 46.7L average, so that would work. Get a pound of 2-row and that should convert your grains in a partial mash.

American 2-row has a diastatic power of about 140L (L = Lintner, the diastatic power of the malt). You need an average of about 30-40L diastatic power per pound in the mash. Your specialty grains have 0. So, for example, if you have 2 lbs of specialty grains, then there is a total of 3 lbs grain (2-row + the specialty). The sum total of Lintner of all the grain = 140.

140/3 = 46.7L average, so that would work. Get a pound of 2-row and that should convert your grains in a partial mash.
That's an excellent thing to keep in mind! I'll definitely take note of that ratio in the future.

Any particular tips on specialty grain for this style? Keep both Roasted and black patent? Which caramel malt would be best for Porter? I also have a pound of 10L unopened btw.

43% crystal is ridiculous IMO. I'd cut that to 7-10% (your choice there, C40 or 60 would be common choices). As far as the dark roasted malts 7-10% also be a typical range. I tend to use a combo of black and chocolate in porters though you can use roasted barley too. The exception for me would be an English style brown porter where I use a little chocolate and lots or brown malt. Those malts are all fine for steeping but if you want to do a partial mash or an all grain batch for that matter it's easy to do stovetop BIAB style at that batch size.

Last edited:
43% crystal is ridiculous IMO. I'd cut that to 7-10% (your choice there, C40 or 60 would be common choices). As far as the dark roasted malts 7-10% would probably be a typical range, I tend to use a combo of black and chocolate in porters though you can use roasted barley too. The exception for me would be an English style brown porter where I use a lower amount of chocolate and lots or brown malt.
43% is a bit ubsurd isn't it? I think I remember reading somewhere, for an all grain batch, the base malt should be about 80%. I dont have the space for all grain in my little apartment, but I think I can swing a partial mash with my stove for sparge water and my electric burner for the mash to hold temp and then move back to stove for boil.

I'll definitely adjust my malt ratios, but should I use the extract and the basemalts %s added together to be my 80% and the Crystal/darks down to around 20%?

With this equation in mind, would using 2 pounds of 2 row be to much linter for my mash? I'm sorry if this is a noob question, but the mash and all its allure is something I've stepped lightly around with my studies until I felt ready.
Screenshot_20180217-230907.png

I'll definitely adjust my malt ratios, but should I use the extract and the basemalts %s added together to be my 80% and the Crystal/darks down to around 20%?

Yes that sounds better. For the mash there's no such thing as too much diastatic power, you just have to make sure you have the minimum. You can use an oven to hold temp for your mash. I do 2.5 gal BIAB batches in a 5 gal pot, putting it in the oven preheated to 170 (lowest mine will go) then turned off.

You just need some standard 2 row base grain to add the enzymes needed to convert the crystal and roasted grains.

How much I am not certain. I have only messed around with extract and Partial mash in Beersmith a couple of times. It is not as clear on what is required as it seems it should be.

I like to keep my recipes somewhat simple so I might drop one of the crystals. Probably the 60l. But it doesn't look bad as is, except for the base grain. You could do it as extract with steeping grains.

There is little starch left to be converted in Crystal malts. If you crack a kernel open and look closely you will see that it contains crystals of sugar that have already been converted from the starches in the process of making it into a Crystal malt. There would be starch in the roasted grain but since this is going to be a porter the starch haze that would detract from the presentation in a light colored beer won't be visible. I'd suggest that the OP just do this as an extract with steeping grains batch.

43% is a bit ubsurd isn't it? I think I remember reading somewhere, for an all grain batch, the base malt should be about 80%. I dont have the space for all grain in my little apartment, but I think I can swing a partial mash with my stove for sparge water and my electric burner for the mash to hold temp and then move back to stove for boil.

This is a white lie but you just don't know it yet. If you have room to do extract batches you have room to do all grain via BIAB since the only extra equipment you need to find room for is a nylon paint strainer bag and that can be wadded up to fit into one hand.

I ended up making this beer yesterday. I went and bought 2lbs of 2row Brewers Malt from Briess and my first ever mash ended up with 82% efficiency! I had a few snafus and had to change my equipment expectations (water levels etc) and my PH got a little low (down to 5.0) but all in all it seemed to turn out pretty good! I kept the roasted barley down to try and make it more of a beer I would enjoy. Based on the flavor of the wort, I think I succeeded!

Thanks for all the feedback and advice everyone! I think soon I'll be ready to try a full BIAB AG batch!

I ended up making this beer yesterday. I went and bought 2lbs of 2row Brewers Malt from Briess and my first ever mash ended up with 82% efficiency! I had a few snafus and had to change my equipment expectations (water levels etc) and my PH got a little low (down to 5.0) but all in all it seemed to turn out pretty good! I kept the roasted barley down to try and make it more of a beer I would enjoy. Based on the flavor of the wort, I think I succeeded!

Thanks for all the feedback and advice everyone! I think soon I'll be ready to try a full BIAB AG batch!

By "soon" you mean tomorrow, right?:D

By "soon" you mean tomorrow, right?:D
If I had a few extra hours in the day, I'd brew everyday lol. I had actually switched my schedule around at the liquor store I manage at so I could have Sunday off for my birthday! I probably won't get another chance to brew until next Monday now.

I do have 4 fermenters rocking in my room right now, and at 6 weeks into brewing, I'm 7 batches in. I could afford to take a little break but I'm so excited to start pumping out some unique ideas!

Back