leftover ingredients- advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel_scum

Reaction score
Got a few leftover ingredients in the beer cupboard- want to try to make a decent session(ish) beer out of them if possible.

I have:

2 oz citra
.8 oz Amarillo
.8 oz centennial
.25 nugget
1/2 pound briess caramel 40L
1 pack of wyeast 1056 American ale

I am only set up for extract currently- looks like I might be able to get a decent pale ale of some kind out of that.

Any advice on extract I should use with these ingredients and/or what order to use those particular hops in would be awesome!

Thanks!

Yep, looks like an APA. If you want to only use those hops I'd bitter with all the nugget and a little of either centennial or citra to hit my target IBU's, then use all the rest at 10, 0, and dryhop (choose your combo). If you could get a little more of any other neutral hop to bitter then you could save all the centennial/citra/amarillo for those late additions. I would use all light or pale DME/LME together with your steeped crystal. You could even use maris otter extract if you have access to specialty extracts, I use it as a base in simple grainbills for many of my American ales.

Thanks chickypad!

here's what I wound up going with:

8oz briess caramel steeped 20 min
3# maris otter DME (60 min)
1 oz simcoe hops (60 min)
.25 oz nugget hops (45 min)
3# maris otter DME (15 min)
0.8 oz centennial (flameout)

0.8 oz Amarillo (dry hop)
1 oz citra (dry hop)- I used 1oz to dry hop my black IPA :)

still kinda new to making my own hop schedule- that look about right? Im shooting for a middle of the road APA kinda thing....

Seems a shame to use the simcoe all for bittering. Did you plug into a calculator? Wonder if you can get enough IBU's if you put the nugget at 60 then just use a little simcoe also at 60 and the rest at 15 or 10 min.

I have a calculator via iBrewmaster app, but I am pretty much clueless about what I need to hit on it.

What kind of IBU's am I shooting for to brew an APA?

Will the 6# maris otter get me around 1.060 for a 5 gal recipe @ 60 min boil?

DME is typically 45 pts per lb so the 6# should get you about 1.054 in 5 gal, then you'll maybe get a couple of pts from the crystal.

so with that in mind, looks like this:

.25 nugget = 11.8 IBU
.5oz simcoe = 25.6 IBU
.25 centennial =10 IBU

So if I add all that at 60 min, I should hit about 47.4 IBU. that would leave me:

1 oz citra
0.8 oz Amarillo
0.5 oz simco
0.25 oz centennial

so I'm thinking toss in the Amarillo/centennial ~10 min and dry hop with the citra/simco?

You'll get a few IBU's from the 10 min addition also. So you probably don't need the centennial at 60, and instead could do the amarillo at 10, centennial at flameout, and dry hop with citra + simcoe, or something like that. Lots of ways to go here.

excellent! Thank you so much for all the help! Ill be sure to post in a month or so and let you know how it turns out. You rock!

Definitely post back. I have to say I'm kinda fond of leftover batches, they may look a little odd sometimes but have a way of turning out!
:mug:

Back