Left hand x right hand thread nipple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivispacemparabe11um

Reaction score
I have seen a few posts about left hand thread by right hand thread nipples. What is the reason some regulators are manufactured with left thread and some with right threads. I know in some cases when left threads are used they are usually used as a safety to avoid connecting dangerous gasses where they should not be connected. In this case I am trying to connect several c02 regulators together and I want to make sure I am not missing some safety factor. I am having a tough time finding a left thread by right thread nipple so my next step is to find a left thread pipe die.

No reason to not connect them. Some manufactures use left hand threads on the high pressure side and right hand threads on the low (regulated) pressure side, while some manufactures use right hand all around. I am not sure of any specific reason why.

My high school shop teacher mentioned they would use left hand threads on acetylene gases, right hand threads on oxygen. This way you didn't hook them up incorrectly. Also they place a notch on the left hand thread nuts for identification or for working in low light levels.

My high school shop teacher mentioned they would use left hand threads on acetylene gases, right hand threads on oxygen. This way you didn't hook them up incorrectly. Also they place a notch on the left hand thread nuts for identification or for working in low light levels.
I understand the reasoning when it come to oxy and acetylene. I guess the manufacturer of the regulators designed them that way in order to prevent high side of the regulator being connected with the low side. But it isn't standardized because some manufacturers do it and others don't.

Back