Left bottle caps in Star-San solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Glue

Reaction score
So i left 20-30pcs bottle caps along with my syphon and bottling wand in Star-San solution for a few days. Now the solution smells like iron.
Am i up to some kind of food poisoning if i will still use that bucket, syphon and bottle wand for future batches? (after rinsing of course)
What are bottle caps even made of? Is it possible that they put something poisonous into the solution?

I've left things in Starsan for longer than that with no problem. The instructions do say to not use on soft metals though (like copper), but bottles tops are normally steel, so should be OK. I've never bothered sanitising bottle tops. Does anybody else do this?

bottle caps are steel (plus a pvc liner that acts as a gasket)

that smell is rust, your caps are toast

clean and sanitize the rest and you should be OK. if your bottling wand has a spring, it might be rusted too

Usually i soak my caps only for a few minutes but after cleaning bottles for 3 hours and only then noticing that my beer got infected in the fermenter i was like "%"+k this" and left everything there for a few days.
The bottling wand still smells like rust after some light rinsing with water. Will it be still safe to use for the next batch? (after the usual sanitizing process)

The base of my bottling wand is removable. The base contains the plunger and spring. Give the base of your wand a gentle twist with finger pressure to twist it off. The spring inside may need a cleaning. A baking soda solution may clean it if it shows corrosion.

Be gentle. I don't want to be responsible, with the advice to remove the tip, if your wands tip is not removable and it shatters.

The base of my bottling wand is removable. The base contains the plunger and spring. Give the base of your wand a gentle twist with finger pressure to twist it off. The spring inside may need a cleaning. A baking soda solution may clean it if it shows corrosion.

Be gentle. I don't want to be responsible, with the advice to remove the tip, if your wands tip is not removable and it shatters.

I don't think it is removable. On the other hand i always soak it in Star-San after bottling, shake it a little and put it in it's place and i am pretty sure that the base is still full of liquid so it might be already rusted without me noticing it.

Latest posts

Back