Left Beer In Keg Too Long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warhost

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm used to making wine, so on my first batch of beer, I am a little confused about how I should proceed after this:

I left the fermenting beer in the keg much longer than suggested by my beginner's guide. It's been about a month. From what I understand, the beer will age after it's bottled, not in the keg, unlike wine. My guidebook says 6-8 days. So, I'd hate to bottle all of that beer only to find out it's gone septic or something.

Any thoughts?

You probably mean you've left the beer in the fermentation bucket or carboy (not the keg) for a month. Small chance of yeast autolysis contributing some off favors but most likely no problem. In fact, one week is probably too short a time as it's after one week that the green beer flavors dissipate. I routinely let fermentations go 3 weeks.

Yeah, you're absolutely fine. In fact, you're probably better off going with a longer primary like that - in the end it'll give you a clearer beer. And at the volumes we deal with in homebrew, it's actually been proven that autolysis is a boogeyman, so no worried on that count.

A month in primary is perfect. When I started off I would leave it in for 3 to 4 weeks. Sometimes even a little longer. What you thought was a mistake actually turned out to be a good thing lol

Back