Lees forming in secondary?! Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jw8140

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to this and was marginally disturbed when after transferring my cider to the secondary I noticed that after 48 hours what looks like another yeast cake is forming at the bottom! When I transferred I left about a quarter inch of cider in the bottom of the last carboy so as not to disturb or suck up the sediment in the primary carboy. However it looks like some may have gotten in? Is the solution to simple transfer it again and be extra careful to not even touch the bottom sediment? Or is it normal for secondary fermintation to cause another smaller yeast cake to grow in the bottom? Thanks!

Hi all! I'm new to this and was marginally disturbed when after transferring my cider to the secondary I noticed that after 48 hours what looks like another yeast cake is forming at the bottom! When I transferred I left about a quarter inch of cider in the bottom of the last carboy so as not to disturb or suck up the sediment in the primary carboy. However it looks like some may have gotten in? Is the solution to simple transfer it again and be extra careful to not even touch the bottom sediment? Or is it normal for secondary fermintation to cause another smaller yeast cake to grow in the bottom? Thanks!

Yes, that's normal! The cider will drop lees until it's completely clear. Sometimes it needs to be racked again, if the lees are 1/4" thick or more but sometimes there aren't a lot of lees. It just depends on how much yeast drops out and how much pectin and other suspended particles fall out. No worries.

Back