Leaving thermometer/hydrometer in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawnofthWill

Reaction score
Has anybody every just left their hydrometer or thermometer in the primary during fermentation? I am trying this with my thermometer now...cold season is here and the temp of my house really swings so I have to be watchful. Can anybody add to this? My primary is a very large pale with lots of room.

So a bucket fermenter and you're pulling the lid off to regularly check the temperature? Assuming so, you're risking contamination and oxidation. I'm not saying it will happen, but it increases the chances compared to not opening it on a regular basis.

The hydrometer will get covered in krausen gunk and it will be impossible to read.

There's also a possibility of breakage. Break it in a tube, you lose a few ml. Break it in the bucket, you lose the whole batch.

Has anybody every just left their hydrometer or thermometer in the primary during fermentation? I am trying this with my thermometer now...cold season is here and the temp of my house really swings so I have to be watchful. Can anybody add to this? My primary is a very large pale with lots of room.

What measures are you planning based on the multiple temperature readings and/or obscured uncorrectable hydrometer readings?

I don't see the need or the point of doing this. I know many brewers do what you describe (if past threads are to be taken at face value).

My primary is a very large pale with lots of room.

Agree with Gavin
But also, what you say here makes me concerned about too much headspace. Especially if you are constantly taking the lid off for readings. Get a wine theif and use that to grab samples

Back