Learned something last night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyennie

Reaction score
If you are going to dry hop in a keg you shouldn't use pellets in a tea ball. I poured my first glass last night and it was really good but had hops in the bottom of the glass. Oh well. live and learn... I'm de-gassing it now and will transfer to another keg using a muslin bag over the racking cane to filter the hops out.

I don't keg my beer, but yeah, dry-hopping with pellets leaves a lot of sludge that can give a harsh aftertaste. Racking through the muslin bag should get most of it out, thought. Best of luck!

Use womens nylons. I use the knee high ones and they work great. Plus, the looks you get when you buy them is really good for a laugh.

I just drop the pellets directly into a secondary, then cold crash and transfer to a keg. Anything that is left at the bottom of the keg will get sucked out after the first few pours.

Don't degas the keg! And don't siphon it.

You can jump it to a new keg even easier.

You'll have to release the pressure, unscrew the "out" post, and then put a sanitized nylon or hops bag over the long diptube. Put it back down in there and tighten. That will screen out the hops debris.

Get two black QDs and put them on a length of beer line. Put one on the new keg, on the "out" post. Put the other on the original keg. Keep the gas on the first keg (but turn it down to about 3-5 psi), and pull the pressure relief valve on the receiving keg. The beer should flow. Keep pulling the pressure relief valve on the receiving keg until it's finished transferring. No chance of oxidizing the beer and you can transfer carbed beer without any issues.

Thanks Yooper, I was concerned about oxidizing the beer. I need to get a couple of parts and then I'll be able to make the transfer.

Use womens nylons. I use the knee high ones and they work great. Plus, the looks you get when you buy them is really good for a laugh.

whats the best way to clean/sanitize the nylons? just rinse them when they're new out of the package and submerge in star-san?

When I dry hop in the keg I use the super jumbo tea bags I bought off Amazon. Works great and zero hop trub gets into the beer.

whats the best way to clean/sanitize the nylons? just rinse them when they're new out of the package and submerge in star-san?

I don't even rinse them when they are new, just soak in some StarSan. After I use them I rinse them out well to get all the hop particles out and hang them in the brewery to dry, then repeat for the next batch. Honestly, for the price, you could just use them once and throw them away if you chose.
Tom

Latest posts

Back