Leaky Perlick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnsie8791

Reaction score
Anyone have issues with their perlick tap leaking. I bought mine about 4-5 years ago and it worked great for awhile but now leaks like a sailor coming off of shore leave. Taken it apart and cleaned it thoroughly. When the tap is closed I still get a stream of beer coming out. Don't realty want to replace it if necessary. Figured it should have lasted a bit longer then it has.

Anyone have issues with their perlick tap leaking. I bought mine about 4-5 years ago and it worked great for awhile but now leaks like a sailor coming off of shore leave. Taken it apart and cleaned it thoroughly. When the tap is closed I still get a stream of beer coming out. Don't realty want to replace it if necessary. Figured it should have lasted a bit longer then it has.

I took out 4 Perlick 525ss and replaced with 650's. My 525's were leaking and I was sick of it. It's possible a rebuild kit (new orings) was all they needed, but I was interested in getting the flow control.

Did you replace o-rings?
I just replaced all the o-rings in mine with high temp silicone ones. Works a lot better now.
You may know the following but:
are you sure you have enough keg pressure to close the tap?
You don't happen to have a tap handle that's "weighted" forward that would help keep the tap open?

Yup, replace the o-rings, especially the "floating" one in the front. Perhaps the one under the bonnet while you're at it.
I think you can get them on Amazon, McMaster, etc. no need for expensive "rebuild" kits. Just get the correct sizes.

Probably too obvious, but did you adjust the tap-handle? Loosn up the tap handle and the collar that sits below. If the collr is too tight, it holds the faucet slightly open.

I have a feeling I need to replace the tiny o rings. Ive adjusted pressure and the collar a bunch of time. It will close if I put pressure on the tap in the closed position. Ill take a look on amazon, thanks all.

You can find rebuild kits on Amazon and some of the o-rings (in a pack of 5-10). There's one (maybe 2) that I couldn't find on Amazon. So I ordered through Mcmaster.

full

Last edited:
Back