Leaking Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdburg

Reaction score
I've got a leaking corny keg and I'm hoping someone may have an idea as to what's leaking or how I can figure it out.

I got a used keg and replaced all the O rings. I also replaced one poppet that seemed to be sticking.

The issue is that the keg holds pressure fine when it's not connected to my system. With no hoses hooked up, it will hold the pressure indefinitely. When I hook the keg up to the system though, it slowly loses pressure.

I'm pretty sure the problem is not in the hoses or outside the keg itself. I've got a Sanyo 4912 with a two faucet tower. The other keg I own has worked on both taps without any kind of problems or leaks. With the other keg, the regulator stays at a constant pressure without any problems. When I hook the leaking keg up though, on either tap, it loses pressure slowly until there's nothing in the keg (overnight for example).

Could it be the other poppet? Is there something else that I'm not thinking about. I've sprayed soapy water all over the top and couldn't find any bubbles or leaks. I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance.

I had a similar issue a month or so ago. Found that it was a small cut in the O-ring on the out side of the poppet. Check those really close, and often. The more you pop the fitting on and off the more wear and tear you get on those.

sounds like the post o-ring to me. try replacing it again, and if it is only buna-n, try replacing it with a silicone one if you can.

Use some keg lube on the o-rings as well. It helps them seal and makes it easier to connect and remove the QD's

Check the "in" post o-ring. If you have a cut on the "out" one, you'll be leaking beer, not Co2.

steve

Thanks everyone. I'll check the o rings, especially on the "in" post to see if I can figure out what's going on. I'll post updates if anything changes.

Back