Leak test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dipflop

Reaction score
I finally got my kegging equipment and gas tank filled. I am about to do a leak test on my keg. At what psi should I set the regulator and how long should i pressurize before I spray with soapy water? Thanks.

I take it up to 25 psi every time I seal a keg just to make sure the lid seats in, and then take it down to carb/serve pressure. For leak checking I leave it at 25psi and dunk the whole thing in a full bath tub. Bubbles never lie.

I like the tub because it will find leaks over the entire keg. I found a leak in a welded seam down at the bottom of a keg once. I would have never found that one with soap solution. I would have found it when I found 5 gallons of beer in the bottom of my fridge.

the water dunking is a surefire way of finding a leak of any size. if it is a large leak, you should be able to find it with a starsan solution in a spray bottle.

i would say to check for leaks at the normal serving pressure, as well as the highest pressure the keg will see (for me, it is around 50 or so because i leave some stuff at room temp while carbonated). it may be a small chance, but some things may leak due to not seating at a lower pressure, or conversly at a higher pressure because it exacerbates a stress already on the keg. i think both pressures would be good to check.

if you have a lot of time, you can do an overnight (or 24 hr) test just as a yes/no test. if you are doing a lot of empty kegs, i would just put 10 psi in each keg, and the next morning/day, pull the pressure release. if no pressure, you know for sure you have a leak. if the pressure coming out is fairly solid, and consistent among many of the kegs, they should be ok, but you can do a dunk test just to make sure, or star san - but if the leak is slow enough to still hold 10 psi over a full day, it will be really small, and you will need to dunk it to see the leak.

as a general rule of thumb, whenever i get a keg, i break it down, and replace all the gaskets except the lid, unless the rubber is brittle, then i'll replace it, check the poppets, lube everything up, and then pressure test. this works well for the majority of kegs that i have.

Personally I do leak tests at 3 times the pressure I intend to operate at. It's high enough to make the slightest leak more dramatic but not high enough to do any damage to the system.

I like the tub method as well but I like to throw the pressure at the keg and then let it sit for at least 2 days before dunking. Give it time to 'work' at any potential leaks.

Dont forget to leak test your regulator fittings... crank up the pressure and dab some sudsy water around the fittings. If you see bubbles growing, you have leaks.

I can't say I'm thrilled about the idea of putting the entire regulator under water... dont try it... :drunk:

kegs, yes...

You can put a regulator in water, but you won't find the F^%^$$# leak! Ask me how I know.

Some things you just live with.

Back