Lazy Yeast or just underpaid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopstep

Reaction score
I am using a wyeast ringwood ale smack pack and smacked and shook at 10am on Saturday the 21st. The pack didn't swell in the allocated time so I crashed my wort and gave the yeast a night to multiply. Got up on Sunday not good still no swelling. I opened the pack and made a small starter thinking I will have to wake these babies up. I waited another few hours to see small bubbles in the starter and barring a few small bubbles nothing. I called the LHBS and they are not open on Sundays lazy beer drinking.... Anyway I decided to pitch the yeast as even a few hundred cells are better than nothing at this point. I waited until Tuesday and saw minimal activity but Wednesday Morning she was a bubblin away!!! Here is the question? Will my FG be off because of the lag time or will the yeast do their job completely?

The FG should probably still be about what you expected. Once it gets going, usually it finishes fine. There is a possibility that fermentation may stall out, but it's not likely.

Without knowing the viability of your yeast, I'd venture a guess that it'll be okay in the end. I think you'll hit the FG, or at least pretty dang close.

Time will tell, but I think your beer will be fine. :mug:

Back