Latest batch could be in for some trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billpaustin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a dunkel-weizen beer, partial mash with grain, LME, and DME.

I followed the instructions: steep grains at 150-160, bring to a boil, add LME and DME, hops, boil for 40 min, add hops, boil another 20. So far so good, came out pretty dark.

So then I added some cold water and put it in the sink to cool off. At 72, I took OG -- 1.080. Yikes! 'Sposed to be 1.057. Let's hope I didn't mix it well enough.

Then, I hydrated the dry yeast, but my water was about 110, not 95 like it said. Quickly added some more cool water, and brought the yeast down to 85, then pitched. Hope the yeast didn't get cooked.

It was cold last night, and my fermenter was at 63 this morning, hope it isn't too cool.

But it has a nice top of yeast on it, and is bubbling slowly this morning. Here's hoping all those errors don't bite me.

Sounds like your yeast is just fine. If you post your recipe we may be able to get to the bottom of the high gravity situation.

It was a dunkel-weizen kit from Brewer's Best. Had some grain, two cans of LME, and one bag of DME. The wort came out very dark, about like my stout.

here's the ingredients:
6.6 lb of Wheat LME
1 lb of Maltodextrin

8 oz of Chocolate grain
8 oz of Munich grain

.5 oz GR Hersbrucker hops
.5 oz GR Hallertau hops

packet of dry Munich yeast (Lallemand brand)

8oz of chocolate malt is quite a bit. That would def contribute to the dark color. Plus adding all the extract at the begining of the boil. Saving the LME for the end would've lightened it a lil bit.

You will not get 1.080 with those ingredients. I make it 1.056 for 5 gallons.

What is the FG supposed to be? 1 lb of Malto-dextrin is a lot. My guess is it will end around 1.020.

You will not get 1.080 with those ingredients. I make it 1.056 for 5 gallons.

What is the FG supposed to be? 1 lb of Malto-dextrin is a lot. My guess is it will end around 1.020.

The kit calls for 1.050 - 1.057OG, FG is supposed to be 1.012 - 1.015. I bet I just didn't mix well enough after adding water. The yeast is really starting to go now, looks great.

The kit calls for 1.050 - 1.057OG, FG is supposed to be 1.012 - 1.015. I bet I just didn't mix well enough after adding water. The yeast is really starting to go now, looks great.

Was it Maltodextrin you added or was it DME? If it was DME I think it could get down to 1.015. If it was maltodextrin I don't think you stand any chance. Maltodextrin is unfermentable and therefore result in a higher than normal FG.

Was it Maltodextrin you added or was it DME? If it was DME I think it could get down to 1.015. If it was maltodextrin I don't think you stand any chance. Maltodextrin is unfermentable and therefore result in a higher than normal FG.

Maltodextrin is not DME? (newb here)

The paperwork with the kit said 1 lb Maltodextrin.

Maltodextrin is not DME.

DME is "dried malt extract" and is fermentable. Maltodextrin is a carbohydrate (if i remember correctly), and does not ferment. Is used to increase body in a brew.

I dont think it should add any gravity points, but i could be wrong on that.

Regarding your yeast, you're just fine.

Maltodextrin is not DME? (newb here)

The paperwork with the kit said 1 lb Maltodextrin.

Your original post mentioned DME and not Maltodextrin, which is why I asked for clarification. You first mentioned Maltodextrin when you posted the recipe.

I brewed a dunkel-weizen beer, partial mash with grain, LME, and DME.

I followed the instructions: steep grains at 150-160, bring to a boil, add LME and DME, hops, boil for 40 min, add hops, boil another 20. So far so good, came out pretty dark.

Maltodextrin is a carbohydrate (if i remember correctly), and does not ferment. Is used to increase body in a brew.

I dont think it should add any gravity points, but i could be wrong on that.

Malto dextrin is basically an unfermentable sugar and will 1 lb will add about .007 to both the OG and FG of a 5 gallon batch.

JUST to clarify... this isn't a partial mash. What was done was steeping grains for an extract brew. It will make perfectly good beer, but I wanted you to know what method you used.

Back