Late LME Addition - Pliny the Elder Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAbrewing

Reaction score
Hi All,

I had a quick question about late LME addition for the Pliny the Elder Clone. The recipe is from AHS. It calls for 8lbs of LME and 1lb of DME.

What would be the most appropriate split for this beer? Can I simple add the DME first and the LME 15 minutes left for the boil?

Many thanks in advanced and sorry for the repetitiveness.

Cheers,
CAbrewing

If you are boiling the full volume (6.5 gallons down to 5 or whatever you use) then you should add the extract all at the beginning, but if you're doing a partial boil, I'd split them up.

Thanks daksin.
I am doing a partial boil. What split would you recommend? DME at the beginning and all LME at the end?

I'd say do half your LME at the beginning, and the rest at the end. I'm not really sure if there's a rule of thumb for it. Definitely make sure your flame is off when adding extract and that you get every tiny last bit totally dissolved before turning it back on.

Maybe too late, but I'd do the DME only, at start and LME with 5 minutes left to keep the color from getting too dark.

Back