Late addition of candi syrup d-90, didn't boil, Ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostrille

Reaction score
I have an experimental ale I was trying out, and got it into my head that i should use candi-syrup (because it looked pretty at the brew shop). In short, a day and a half after the krausen dropped (mostly... with some light bubbling) I added the d-90 product, I guess assuming that since it was sealed that it was sterile. Upon review of the documents posted on the company website, it seems they suggest a 20min boil with the addition of water. The lid had not been tampered with (the plastic perforations broke when i twisted it) but, I am worried that I may have infected my poor ale. Yeast is WLP545 (Strong Belgian). Does anybody have an opinion, I haven't been able to find any language on the website regarding the sterility of the product.
Thanks!

I don't have a good answer for you. Not like it will do any good, though. What's done is done. Report back and let the group know how it turned out. If I had to guess, I would think that belgian candi sugar coming straight from the sealed pack is pretty safe. I have no basis for this.

I would also think that it is relatively safe and free of contamination. Besides, you added it to a solution that contains alcohol, so more than likely it will be fine.

It should be fine. Bacteria and wild yeast would have a difficult time growing in candi syrup due to the high osmotic pressure it would cause. This is the same reason why pancake syrup and related products are shelf stable. The alcohol content of the beer should also help.

Alright then, I tried it when I took the SG, so I'll see how it goes after. Thanks for the input!

I've done it before with no problems. I don't know what documents you were looking at but this is on the product site:

"CSI Candi Syrups are package-filled in a sterile environment so they do not need to be
sterilized however we do recommend that the exterior of the package be sterilized before
opening."

Edit: okay, here is more. They recommend diluting it for better mixing, boiling to sterilize the dilution water not because the product is not sterile:

"CSI’s Candi Syrup is filled and packaged under sterile conditions. If adding candi syrups to
primary or secondary the following steps are recommended:

1. Sanitize the exterior of the packaging.
2. Mix a volume ratio of 2 parts candi syrup to 1 part water.
3. Boil on low heat for 15 minutes
4. Let cool to room temperature covered
5. Add to fermenter and gently stir

By adding water and boiling you are sterilizing the added water, (not the syrup), and creating a
more miscible solution. Adding syrup to a relatively cool primary or secondary fermentation
without dilution will not permit even mixing due to the viscosity change under cooler
temperatures. This may cause caking at the bottom of the fermenter."

Back