Last two batches stalled at SG ~1.020 - 1.023

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdevillers

Reaction score
Any suggestions as to what's going wrong? My temp is pretty constant and the fermometer never reads below 68f. I have a cover over the carboy to keep it dark all the time. Latest batch started at 1.050, but the previous one only @ 1.042 - yet it finished at 1.023. Would it be wise to re-pitch? I've already transferred it to a conditioning carboy - its now been going for 2 1/2 weeks.

Thanks for any help.

SD

Didn't pitch enough yeast?
Maybe you had a bad pack of yeast that were dead!
Too many unfermentable sugars?

Extract or all grain? Could be mash temp issue if all grain. Extract beers finish with higher gravities. Give us a little more info.

It was all grain - and quite possibly the mash temp was too high - my strike water calc put the starting temp up at 165.

sdevillers said:
It was all grain - and quite possibly the mash temp was too high - my strike water calc put the starting temp up at 165.
I did a starter the night before, and had good activity (didn't check the SG of the starter)

sdevillers said:
I think it should have been about 10 - 15 F lower.

RLinNH said:
You saying that you mashed at 165 degrees? If so, you have found your issue...

165 was my starting mash temp, so hopefully that's the only explanation for stalled fermentation. Current batch had a starting mash temp of 153, so I'm hoping for better outcome.

Thanks all for the speedy replies.

You want mash temps from the mid/upper 140's to the mid upper 150's depending on the style of beer your making. Most commonly 152f give or take 2 degrees. Lower mash temps make a more fermentable wort. Higher mash temps make a less fermentable wort and will leave you with a much higher final gravity. Sounds like that was your issue. 165 is way too high for a mash temp. Get that down into the lower 150's.

Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies! All very noteworthy!

On the most recent batch I brewed, I relied on what turned out to be a faulty thermometer & mashed at low 140's. So, to the last post, I may have accidentally "backed" into a lower, possibly more desirable mash temp. SG was 1.042, but hopefully it will finish lower. My sparge went too fast - lessen learned, for now I think batch sparging is the way to go.

Back