Last two batches have been my best

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmash

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've done about 12 brews since January. My first 4 were extract and partial mash.
The last 8 all grain.
The first 10 all came out really good but still not professional quality,
My last two, an IPA and a grapefruit sculpin clone were amazing.
The two things I did differently were a more efficient boil with my new Edelmetall burner (love this thing) and whole leaf hops as opposed to pellets at late boil additions and in the secondary.

Which change do you guys think is more responsible for making the difference?

I wouldn't write off the fact that your entire process has probably gotten better each brew. As you continue to brew and gain experience you will notice your beer getting better even if you aren't doing too much differently.

I wouldn't write off the fact that your entire process has probably gotten better each brew. As you continue to brew and gain experience you will notice your beer getting better even if you aren't doing too much differently.

I agree--over time, I've refined the process. Each brew I try to do something better. Continuous quality improvement, as it were.

Among the things I'm now doing that I wasn't are using an oxygen wand to oxygenate the wort before pitching, doing an oxygen-free transfer from fermenter to keg, and being more consistent in my mash temperature.

While some of this may be "isn't my baby cute?", I'd rather drink my brew than what I can get in the local pub. Some of that is due to my brewing to MY tastes, and some is, I think, that mine is fresher. I had a "Yankee Buzzard" last evening with dinner and I was wishing it was a pint of my Funky Rye. Or my Spelunker's Special.

Better every time. That's my motto.

Yep, practice makes perfect........now, if only I could brew beer as good as I can drink beer :mug:

Definitely give yourself credit for improving your process. Also, since your last two brews were both IPAs, I would also credit the whole hops. The first time I brewed and dry hopped with whole leaf hops I was amazed with the aroma and flavor.

Back