Large Pots and Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewGoose

Reaction score
I just purchased a 57L Pot. Usually I've been using 30L (for 20L recipes). With that I could sparge the grain by justing holding it and put it on a strainer and I could pick up the pot and pour the wort in a fermentation bucket. but now with the larger system there's no way I can hold all that grain while I sparge and there's no way I can lift the 57L pot and pour the wort. It's just a cooking pot with drilled elements and a tap.

So, what should I do when I need to get rid of the grains and sparge and how can I get the wort in the fermentation buckets with enough oxygen for yeast?

Please Help a noob!

CHEERS

BIAB, I assume? Stovetop? Garage? outdoors?

If you plan on doing big batches, you'll want to get a pulley to hoist your bag (Heyo!) Wilserbrewer has pretty good one. Where/How to mount it will depend on your brewing spot.

I'm able to lift and dump 6.5 gallons of wort from a 10 gallon kettle without extraordinary effort.
I do Stovetop BIAB and can lift my bag (again with the bag jokes!) and pin it against my microwave-hood long enough to slide a colander under it.

You can install a valve to run off your wort, or get a large pitcher to "scoop" out enough wort to get to the kettle light enough to lift... something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UHJS54/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
BIAB in a garage. I did my first brew tonight, a Mosaic/Citra Red Ale. I started with 12 gallons and mashed. Then I heated up 3 gallons in my old pot and dumped the grain in the muslim bag in that. Then just poured it in the new pot. Went well. Skipped the mash out

Back