Lallemand New England Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun-O

Reaction score
Morning guys,
has anybody used this dry yeast yet and what pitching rates did you use. I ask because Lallemand claim 1 billion cells per gram!! since my batch size is 50 litres thats a lot of packets. (got the 25 gram ones from geterbrewed.

cheers

Cell count is not really a good metric for yeast. A better metric is yeast mass since yeast cell diameters vary with different variants. So don't be wowed by the cell count.

Rumour has it that Lallemand have been struggling with viability with their NE yeast, hence only being prepared to quote 1 billion rather than the more usual 5 billion per gram. It would also explain why they've not released retail packs yet - your only option is grey market repacks like GEB's.

Are there any LHBS's in the USA which are repackaging this yeast in 11g (or thereabouts) packs?

The crap viability means that Geterbrewed are packing in 25g packs for example. Which then means you're starting to creep up towards the price of liquid Conans, which are readily available. So I wouldn't chase the Lallemand one too hard - it may not even be the best dry Lallemand yeast for NEIPAs, let alone when you consider blends like S-04/T-58.

I suspect people should be trying Windsor and Danstar ESB more in NEIPAs, as they're probably the closest thing to dry 1318. I need to repeat it, but I think I'm getting some biotransformation of terpenols from Windsor. Mangrove Jack M15 would be interesting too, but people get obsessed with the Conan thing.

The crap viability means that Geterbrewed are packing in 25g packs for example. Which then means you're starting to creep up towards the price of liquid Conans, which are readily available. So I wouldn't chase the Lallemand one too hard - it may not even be the best dry Lallemand yeast for NEIPAs, let alone when you consider blends like S-04/T-58.

I suspect people should be trying Windsor and Danstar ESB more in NEIPAs, as they're probably the closest thing to dry 1318. I need to repeat it, but I think I'm getting some biotransformation of terpenols from Windsor. Mangrove Jack M15 would be interesting too, but people get obsessed with the Conan thing.

I’ve heard good things about Danstar ESB and how similar it is to WY1968 / WLP002. But I’m gonna have to disagree about Windsor — it’s a poor attenuator and totally muddles the hop character. NEIPAs from the founding fathers (Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, Tree House & Trilium) finish quite dry despite the full mouthfeel. I doubt if any of their hoppy offerings finish north of 1.015. You definitely need something more attenuative than Windsor ale yeast to get yourself there.

I would be happy to try a homebrew-sized pitch of this if it ever gets across the pond. Until then, I’m content with the S-04 / T-58 / WB-06 blend the guys in this thread came up with:
Isolated Yeast (Tree House): How to Identify and Characterize?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...e):-How-to-Identify-and-Characterize?.623221/

Back