Lalbrew yeast sources?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea of where the Lalbrew brewing yeasts were sourced and what brewery they might have come from?

Specifically, I was curious about these:
BRY-97
London
Diamond
Windsor
New England - heard and assumed it is a version of Conan

Diamond is from the Doemens yeast bank, #308. A Lallemand sales rep confirmed that in an email to me.

EDIT: Google BRY-97 Ballantine and see what turns up.

Last edited:
BRY-97 is a derivative of BRY-96, which is the yeast from Siebel that Sierra Nevada started out with and so is the origin of the Chico family of yeast. See this post for the family tree. BRY-96 is widely assumed to have come from Ballantine to Siebel.

There's been some confusion over BRY-97 as some genomic sequences had it in the "mixed" group close to Windsor/S-33, but this seems to have been a labeling mixup.

Windsor, Munton's ordinary and S-33 are closely related and are generally assumed to all be derived from the old EDME homebrew yeast. London is also closely related to this group, as is T-58 (albeit phenolic, POF+). I've heard it suggested that Windsor and Nottingham both came from the same multistrain.

New England was selected from a blend of two beers both made with commercial versions of Conan, conveniently obfuscating things from a legal point of view...

Verdant is from the Verdant brewery in the UK, and has evolved from an original pitch of 1318 London Ale III.

Fantastic! Thanks. I wish I could taste the same beer made with a ton of these yeasts to see if I could tell a difference and to see which I prefer

Back