Lakers getting swept?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomHanx

Reaction score
Anyone biting? Ron suspended for game 3...

I don't know, homebrew maybe too white for a basketball thread. There hockeythread has 800 posts. That's prob more comments than every article on espn about hockey combined.

GO MAVS!

What a weak suspension. But at least he won't be able to jack up airballs from downtown next game. I don't see how Dirk didn't get suspended for the elbow in game 1. Dwight Howard got suspended a game last playoffs for connecting with an elbow. Consistency?

Aside from my rant about the suspension, the Lakers still have a chance. The Mavs have been known to blow series leads(vs Miami) and the Lakers have the talent to pull it off. They just need to pull their heads out of their a$$es. If they do come back and win the series it will only be through a combination of much better play on their part and a real letdown by Dallas.

I don't think the Lake get swept, I do think they lose the series, I think Kobe getting too old to carry a team on his back, although I hope I'm wrong.

.......at least I'm not the only one who watches the NBA here.

Unfortunately, looks like my Celtics may be joining them on the sidelines this year. ****ing trade.

Go Thunder!

No ****.

One of the worst trades in C's history as they've basically got this year and next year before they fall apart. Literally.

It kinda reminds me of the late 80s teams with the aging McHale, Bird, Parrish, DJ, etc....with that of Pierce, Garnett, Allen, O'Neal, O'Neal, etc....

And the youth then was Reggie Lewis and now its Rondo. Maybe Rondo should get his heart checked.

And before you go gangsta on me the_bird, I am in no way comparing Bird, McHale, Parrish to Garnett, Allen, and Pierce....just comparing ages....

I don't have the numbers in front of me but Kobe always gets credit for being a great closer and it seems Dirk rarely does. Kobe's percentage for 'shots-in-the-final-seconds' is right at the league average (IIRC ~28%). Who has one of the best percentages for 'shots-in-the-final-seconds'? Dirk, that's who.

Dallas has just looked clearly superior to me. I doubt the Lakers get swept but it's very unlikely they win the series.

But I am a Lakers fan so...Go Lakers!

im pulling thunder or heat since my Magic are out. I would love to see the Lakers and Celtics out asap!!

I don't have the numbers in front of me but Kobe always gets credit for being a great closer and it seems Dirk rarely does. Kobe's percentage for 'shots-in-the-final-seconds' is right at the league average (IIRC ~28%). Who has one of the best percentages for 'shots-in-the-final-seconds'? Dirk, that's who.

Dallas has just looked clearly superior to me. I doubt the Lakers get swept but it's very unlikely they win the series.

But I am a Lakers fan so...Go Lakers!

I agree about Dirk. If the Lakers would stay in there offense, they can pull this off.............

No ****.

One of the worst trades in C's history as they've basically got this year and next year before they fall apart. Literally.

It kinda reminds me of the late 80s teams with the aging McHale, Bird, Parrish, DJ, etc....with that of Pierce, Garnett, Allen, O'Neal, O'Neal, etc....

And the youth then was Reggie Lewis and now its Rondo. Maybe Rondo should get his heart checked.

And before you go gangsta on me the_bird, I am in no way comparing Bird, McHale, Parrish to Garnett, Allen, and Pierce....just comparing ages....

I've gotten in so many fights on this trade on Celtics forums. Hated it since the moment the announced it, and hate that I've been 100% correct.

Basically, this is year 4 of their 3-year window. They needed a backup SF because Quis Daniels (who's always hurt) almost got paralyzed, and because the GM didn't have anyone else on the roster who could play the 3. Let Tony Allen walk and gave his $$ to Nate ****ing Robinson.

Could they have traded for someone like Anthony Parker, of the Cavs? Who can play D and hit the long ball? And who was on the block? Sure.

Danny thought he was ****ing Red Auerbach, though. Thought he'd gamble that he could get by without Perk, that Shaq (who's damn close to the 40/400 club, 40 years old and 400#s) would be back. Shaq's played 5 minutes, total, since the trade.

Gambled that Jeff Green would be a helluva young player. Thing is, Jeff Green sucks. Boston's front office is supposed to be filled with all of these stat geeks, yet every stat geek I read immediately after the trade said that Green was massively overrated, a terrible defender, a terrible rebounder, and a terribly inefficient scorer. Give Paul Pierce 15 shot attempts and he'll score 25 point; give those to Jeff Green and he'll score 12.

And, they were right!

Totally underestimated how valuable Perk was to the team. Second-best defender. The guy that players on other teams feared. Read some quotes from around the league; guys like Derrick Rose were ESTATIC that Perk was gone.

Veal Scalabrine said:
One thing I always did when I was there, is I trusted Danny and Doc and the decisions they made and I always thought they were smarter than us and smarter than me. I will say this: As a whole our group is pretty excited about it. [Teams around the league] were excited to hear that he was gone. Truth be told, you know, moving forward and watching this team play you don't know what's going to happen." ... Derrick Rose was like 'Man, this was big for me. I can get to the basket.'

Ray Allen can't get open; maybe because the guy who set the hardest screens is gone? Dwayne Wade gets to the rim at ease. Maybe because he's not afraid of getting hit by Perk? Baby Davis is playing incredibly selfish ball? Maybe because he sees how quickly Danny discarded Perk (who's worked his ass off to get to where he is, including coming back from injury this year) so now he decides that he might as well play for himself?

How come I can see all of this **** happening MONTHS ago, but Danny ****ing Ainge is clueless?

And the kid they got, Jeff Green... playing like a ****ing rookie in his first Summer League game. He. Sucks. Balls.

Can you see I'm a little pissed off? They don't like me too much over at Celticsblog, I'm too much of a downer. Plus, the trade makes me swear too much.

Brilliant ****ing idea, trade half of your roster (from the team that was best in the league at the time), they you wonder why they aren't playing cohesive ball?

If the Lakers would stay in there offense...
That might actually be easier without Artest...although I'm not sure Barnes (likely replacement I'm guessing) is much of an improvement (just in running the triangle, not overall).

The defense has been really bad too. Waaaaay too many layups and dunks.

I agree that I don't have any issue with Artest sitting, he can't lock down Dirk so his defense wont out way his horrible shot selection. We shall see, I hope they make it a run and if there is a team that can come back from 2 down it would be this one.

That was pretty bad, team just quit, great elbow Bynam. Go OKC, no one wants to see Cuban get to the finals.

So, hopes and wishes do come true!

Laker nation, you must be so proud of your big guys. Really impressive was the forearm to the dude while in the air, NOT.
Absolutely disgraceful the way the Lakers handled themselves at the end of the game. The Bynum shot was just a punk move.

There was talk this morning on Mike and Mike that Kobe's wife Vanessa had something to do with the break-up of Pau Gasol and his girlfriend...and that Pau wasn't talking to Kobe because of it. IMO, if that had anything to do with Pau's pathetic performance, that is also disgraceful. He makes $20M a year and has other's counting on him. I kept thinking Phil just needed to bench Pau because he was playing with zero effort.

In any case, The Mavs looked tremendous and I kind of hope Dirk gets a ring.

EDIT: and Jason Terry just hit ANOTHER three.

I kept thinking Phil just needed to bench Pau because he was playing with zero effort.
I was screaming this at the TV.
In any case, The Mavs looked tremendous and I kind of hope Dirk gets a ring.
I cant get behind this only because that would mean Cuban would win, and no one wants a NBA that Cuban gets a ring.

Man... MAN!!! MAN!!! FEELING LIKE A BEAST HERE IN DALLAS.

First off as a mavs fan I want to think the man upstairs for looking so kindly on the mavs. Dear Lord baby Jesus, lyin' there in your ghost manger, just lookin' at your Baby Einstein developmental videos, learnin' 'bout shapes and colors. I would like to thank you for the mavs.
Also I would like to think the lakers for having an absolute meltdown.

Look, I didn't legitametly expect a sweep. In fact the attendants were instructed not to let any one bring in brooms or signs of brooms to the arena for the game. BUT HOLY CRAP ON A CRACKER. The mavs are just so suprising this year I don't know what to think. After the portland comeback, the laker blowout.

I will say this- I hope bynum gets traded to some barren midwest team and spends the next several years in obscurity. He's garbage, trash, scum. Classless bum. I can't deal with cheap shots and hard fouls but hows a 7 footer nearly 300 lb guy gonna go in and lay out a 5'10" 180 lb point guard?! way to lay out the smallest guy on the team bynum

I will say this- I hope bynum gets traded to some barren midwest team and spends the next several years in obscurity. He's garbage, trash, scum. Classless bum. I can't deal with cheap shots and hard fouls but hows a 7 footer nearly 300 lb guy gonna go in and lay out a 5'10" 180 lb point guard?! way to lay out the smallest guy on the team bynum

Bynum never would have done that twenty years ago, because he would have gotten his ass whomped by Barrea'a teammates. Stern's cracked down so hard on players just leaving the bench (not to mention actually, you know... throwing a punch) that no one did anything to that punk, they couldn't or they would have been suspended for part of the next series.

Bynum should be out for at least ten games next season. If you aren't going to even pretend to make a basketball play, you shouldn't be allowed to play basketball.

"At least" ten. Honestly, I'd be surprised if Stern suspends him for more than 3.

Those are just cheap, lazy, and dirty plays. Not even trying to defend the ball. I mean, that's as bad (or worse) than anything Lambier did, right?

Seems like Artest has been a great influence on the kid :rolleyes:

great elbow Bynam.

are you being serious?... please tell me you're not being serious? you think Bynum (the biggest Laker) throwing a cheap shot elbow into JJ (the smallest mav and prob 2nd smallest guy in the league) was a "great elbow"?

I think he was being facetious.

Another thing: I felt a little sorry for Phil Jackson yesterday. For him to have to witness the pathetic effort and then the atrocious sportsmanship on his, likely, final NBA game is a bit sad.

He'll hop on the Harley and head up to Montana one last time. That actually sounds kinda nice. But what of Jeanie?

**** Phil Jackson. He'll take his year-long sabbatical in Montana, then after the Heat's "Two and a Half Men" get knocked out of the playoffs again he'll take his Zen BS to South Beach.

**** Phil Jackson. He'll take his year-long sabbatical in Montana, then after the Heat's "Two and a Half Men" get knocked out of the playoffs again he'll take his Zen BS to South Beach.
Since he left Auerbach in his dust I expect that kind of response from a Celtic fan.

Bynum never would have done that twenty years ago, because he would have gotten his ass whomped by Barrea'a teammates. Stern's cracked down so hard on players just leaving the bench (not to mention actually, you know... throwing a punch) that no one did anything to that punk

agree and disagree. any other team that would be true but I will say this- As a mavs fan I am disappointed that no one really got in bynums face after that. I didn't want a starter to get in there and get tossed or suspended but a bench guy should have done something. The mavs have been called out for that before and it's true. If someone gets physical and knocks a mav down you generally don't see someone stepping up for them.

although maybe rick carlisle engrained it in them not to do anything after being the coach involved with artest's infamous scene.

something i just thought about- Mavs vs Heat II. heat lose, erik spolestra fired- phil jackson takes his talents to miami.

I've gotta say I didn't expect the Lakers to get out of this series and I was hoping for a sweep, but I didn't expect them to get so completely and utterly destroyed by the Mavs. I fully expect, now that Phil is gone, this current Laker team to be blown up. Kobe will stay, but the rest of them are up in the air and I think Pau is pretty much gone already. There are rumors of the Lakers getting D. Howard which isn't that crazy since they do have some decent players to deal to Orlando for him.

There are rumors of the Lakers getting D. Howard which isn't that crazy since they do have some decent players to deal to Orlando for him.

I gotta say i would think Orlando would never deal one of there big men to LA ever again. but

"call me crazy"- Kobe Bryant

I gotta say i would think Orlando would never deal one of there big men to LA ever again. but

"call me crazy"- Kobe Bryant

This is true, but I think he is gone when he is a free agent so do they either deal him and get something for it or let him leave as a free agent and get nothing?

I think the Magic deal him and get something out of it, but who to? As a Bulls fan I'm hoping and praying he'll come to Chicago, but do the Magic want to keep him in the East and have to deal with him all the time or do they try to send him out West to LA (Lakers/Clippers). I think the Lakers definitely have some cards to play but some of those cards come with some really bloated contracts...

Chicago needs a SG, not a center. Noah's plenty good to win with. Chicago could *really* use Ray Allen; if the C's blow things up, watch for him to go there (maybe for Taj Gibson, maybe for that other young seven foot Euro you have, I know some people really like him).

Magic won't trade Dwight until next year's deadline, unless they can get someone to also take Gilbert Arenas. Gil and Kobe would be an epic pairing in LA, because I guarantee that the pairing would end in a homicide. Probably on-court.

Gil and Kobe would be an epic pairing in LA, because I guarantee that the pairing would end in a homicide. Probably on-court.

That made me laugh. Agent Zero and the Black Mamba on the same team........

Tbh I'm just sick of Boozer. He's an overpaid waste of space that has a really good nack at going missing in the post season. A problem I think Howard would solve nicely.

Allen would be nice as well because as much as I like Korver I think we're seeing that him and Deng just aren't enough in the post-season.

Tbh I'm just sick of Boozer. He's an overpaid waste of space that has a really good nack at going missing in the post season. A problem I think Howard would solve nicely.

Allen would be nice as well because as much as I like Korver I think we're seeing that him and Deng just aren't enough in the post-season.

I love Deng, but Korver should be a fringe rotation player. Can't play D worth a lick. Ray and Deng would an outstanding pair. Ray's not too bad a defensive player, either, and Thibs will make him keep playing on that end.

I was watching Boozer closely the other night; he's a shockingly bad defensive player. He's as bad as David Lee. Literally just stands there as the opposing big guy drives to the lane and dunks over him, or puts up a little shot from five feet. Doesn't move his feet, doesn't try to contest the shot, nothing.

I'm rooting for Chicago now, if for no other reason than all of the trash talking Brian Scalabrine will do to Paul Pierce and KG about his TWO Championship rings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching Boozer closely the other night; he's a shockingly bad defensive player. He's as bad as David Lee. Literally just stands there as the opposing big guy drives to the lane and dunks over him, or puts up a little shot from five feet. Doesn't move his feet, doesn't try to contest the shot, nothing.

Exactly. He's just infuriating to watch defensively. You also forgot to mention that when said big guy dunks over him he'll swipe at the guy to ensure he gets a shot at an and-1. For the money he is on ($13-15 mill/year) he needs to contribute a heck of a lot more defensively than he does.

Enjoy what's left of the basketball season, because there ain't going to be any games next year.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...oses-45-million-hard-salary-cap#ixzz1MY8wVC6I

Owners proposing a $45M hard cap, 25% below the current soft cap and FAR below the average team payroll (only one team, the Kings, would have been below the cap last year). Salary rollbacks, only partially guaranteeing contracts, all kinds of fun stuff. Nothing I inherently disagree with, but they are SO far apart from the current CBA, there's no prayer in hell that any agreement is met anytime soon.

I'd be absolutely shocked if there is any basketball next season at all.

Enjoy what's left of the basketball season, because there ain't going to be any games next year.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...oses-45-million-hard-salary-cap#ixzz1MY8wVC6I

Owners proposing a $45M hard cap, 25% below the current soft cap and FAR below the average team payroll (only one team, the Kings, would have been below the cap last year). Salary rollbacks, only partially guaranteeing contracts, all kinds of fun stuff. Nothing I inherently disagree with, but they are SO far apart from the current CBA, there's no prayer in hell that any agreement is met anytime soon.

I'd be absolutely shocked if there is any basketball next season at all.

Agreed.

Have you read Bill Simmons' book about basketball? He's got a pretty big write-up about how in today's NBA the '86 Celts wouldn't have been able to exist with CBA and salaries and what-not. Pretty interesting to think about, considering you probably agree with me that the '86 C's were the best team in the history of the NBA....

Back