Lagunitas Undercover Shutdown Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MachineShopBrewing

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on how to go about brewing this beer. There is a tremendous lack of information regarding this one.

Things I can speculate about it:

Yeast- WLP002(house strain from the BN CYBI shows)

Hops- Simcoe, Centennial?, Amarillo? ??

Malt- 2-row, Munich?, C-60?, C120?, special B?

Lets put our heads together on this one and figure it out. Inside information would really be helpful.

For as widely as this is distributed, I am surprised that no one has any information on this beer or has tried to brew a clone.

Osmodeus, what packaging do you have?

Just bought a sixer today;

OG: 1.092
ABV: 9.87......(1.024ish FG)
IBU:72.4

First thing that came to my mind was amarillo hops, possibly simcoe.

I don't know if they used their house yeast, because the attenuation seems pretty low compared to their other ales.

Any thoughts or corrections?

I got the numbers I posted off of a six pack holder I bought. After working my way through that six pack, I started calling it Undercover Knockout Ale. Tasty, strong stuff, dangerous.

The hops taste similar to their IPA or APA to me. That might be a starting point.

Their website refers to it as an "imperial mild".

Tastes like WLP530 or similar yeast, that's all I got. Drank it too fast -sorry! Only had one bottle.

Tastes like WLP530 or similar yeast, that's all I got. Drank it too fast -sorry! Only had one bottle.

You sure you are not thinking of Little Something Wild? I'm pretty sure Undercover uses their house yeast/English ale yeast. I don't taste any Belgian influence in that beer.

Its definitely not a Belgian yeast strain. The only reason I am skeptical of the house yeast is because of the FG, although Lagunitas does tend to mash pretty hot (158F for most of their beers) so that could be responsible for the big body.

Perhaps WLP007

Its definitely not a Belgian yeast strain. The only reason I am skeptical of the house yeast is because of the FG, although Lagunitas does tend to mash pretty hot (158F for most of their beers) so that could be responsible for the big body.

Perhaps WLP007

I know from the CYBI episodes, they were using WLP002 and said that is very similar to the profile of Lagunitas yeast.

Subscribed. I dont have much to input other than I loved this beer when I had it a couple weeks ago.

I made a Something Wild clone with 530 and fermented very cool, it gave me a beer with almost low Belgian influence but it did taste similar to this recent bottle I had. Would I bet my life on it, no way. Considering they have that yeast as part of one of the beers they do, I'd not be surprised if it found its way into a batch. Too me although they make some great beers, they also seem to either change things frequently or are sloppy in the methods. Note how the gravity and alcohol numbers don't ever seem to match the website or batch to batch.

Lagunitas uses a hop extract process sometimes, correct?
That throws a further wrench into this.

I saw this thread and while buying my favorite beer, Laqunitas Lil Sumpin, I picked up a sixer of this. I can definitely taste similarities between the two. I think it's a stronger, maltier version of Lil Sumpin.

Back